Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-14-2010, 10:59 PM   #1
HarryH
Enthusiast
HarryH began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Version 1 firmware v 1.8.3
Kobo purchases Backup

Is it possible to back up you purchased books that are downloaded to your Kobo reader ... A copy that is independent
of the programs user interface

Harry
HarryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:58 PM   #2
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Many of the Kobo books can be purchased in epub form, then downloaded to ADE instead of the Kobo. They will be kept in your ADE library as encrypted files which can be backed up anywhere. And then, if you search around, you can find out how to strip the DRM so you can read your files on any epub reader.

Oh yes, to download the epubs, you go to the Kobo store with your browser, not the Desktop App; and you have to have Adobe Digital Editions installed first.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2010, 01:42 PM   #3
HarryH
Enthusiast

"They will be kept in your ADE library as encrypted files"

Tried ADE on Win7 , it didn't even show the book that I purchased .. yet it appears on my kobo unit ... what is the next step ????

Harry
Old 05-15-2010, 01:45 PM   #4
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Did you download the epub version via your browser? What will happen is that a .acsm file is downloaded and then opened by ADE. Then ADE downloads the ePub and loads it into ADE.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 01:58 PM   #5
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo
and you'll then find the encrypted epub in 'Documents\My Digital Editions' in your user folder.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2010, 03:04 PM   #6
HarryH
Enthusiast

Then ADE downloads the ePub and loads it into ADE.+

I do have a URL acsm file , and will look in my My Docs

First I will log out of Ubuntu and into win 7

I am more comfortable in a Linux distro

Harry
Old 05-15-2010, 04:02 PM   #7
HarryH
Enthusiast

Logged into Win 7 , the acsm file worked and I found the file
Saved in "My Digital Editions " and on a memory stick

Thanks for the help ... now I will be watching the posts for a updated software version and how to deal with the 100 book data base ...

I picked up a case here , black

Harry
Old 05-16-2010, 11:03 AM   #8
darkadept
darkadept began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
You can actually install Adobe Digital Editions under Linux using wine. See here: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...ation&iId=6326
darkadept is offline   Reply With Quote