Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-19-2013, 11:57 AM   #286
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
So, even if you'll again think that I'm jumping on you: If you don't know something, then don't post about it. You had a 50% chance of being right with your speculation about the rescue pack, but you posted something that was plain false, but looked like it was a well-founded answer.

And about the Kindlet developer certificates: In context, it is quite clear that he was talking about these, from the name alone (cross-check with the first post of the thread), and from the formulation "additional hacks".

This is nothing personal - but you really want to be more careful before giving advice which is plain wrong.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:04 PM   #287
denix
denix began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
Just got my PW and already freed, this is indeed nice although a bit early to leave feedback! Thanks for the good work!
denix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2013, 07:29 PM   #288
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
@ixtab: You mentioned that the rescue pack does not survive, but in first post it still says for 5.3.3:
Quote:
The jailbreak will survive the update.
Which is not incorrect, but maybe a little misleading. There should be mentioning that part of the components to get wiped (e.g. the rescue pack). And is it possible to include a bin package to install the wiped components? That might be pertaining 5.3.2 and 5.3.3. If they already got a seperate package, maybe simply link to it?

edit: oh I see, that they are linked already, my bad. But would be nice to know which ones exactly need to be reinstalled.

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 01-19-2013 at 07:37 PM. Reason: oops
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:44 PM   #289
daxboy
daxboy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Here we go - a jailbreak method that works on Paperwhite devices with Firmwares version 5.2.0 - 5.3.1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
You'll find here the K5 (Touch/PaperWhite) port of the ScreenSavers hack, along with a Python 2.7.3 package .
Long-time forum reader. First time poster.

Been following this thread ever since my Kindle Paperwhite arrived on my desk on 2 Nov 2012. It was a good day, that day. First e-ink reader I ever bought, and what a device!

Wanted the currently-read-book-cover-as-screensaver feature. Cannot for the life of me fathom why Amazon doesn't offer this as a built-in feature.

So here I am.

I read, re-read, and then re-read the instructions. Then I read them again. Then I did what they said, exactly.

And ya know what? It all Just Worked(TM), in exactly the way the instructions said it would.

And so now I have a freed Kindle, and I did the screensaver hack, and now I have a kindle that shows me the cover of my currently-read book when in sleep mode.

THANK YOU ixtab and NiLuJe for this. Love your work!
daxboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:22 PM   #290
pais15
pais15 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
hi
The jailbrake doesnt work in my touch 5.3.2
any idea?
thank you very much
pais15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2013, 01:29 PM   #291
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by pais15 View Post
hi
The jailbrake doesnt work in my touch 5.3.2
any idea?
thank you very much
Your answer is contained in both the title of this thread and in the first sentence of the top (first) post in the thread.

Duh....
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:47 PM   #292
pais15
pais15 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Your answer is contained in both the title of this thread and in the first sentence of the top (first) post in the thread.

Duh....
sorry i only followed this link......

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=186645

Im really lost .
thank you very much
pais15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:08 PM   #293
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by pais15 View Post
sorry i only followed this link......

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=186645

Im really lost .
thank you very much
I don't see your firmware version mentioned there either.

I think your only choice is to downgrade, jailbreak and then upgrade.
But a bit more title searching would be a good idea before you try going that route. (I don't have a K5 - so I don't follow it very closely.)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:10 AM   #294
otichy
Connoisseur
otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: KPW
Hi, I tried searching the thread, but I might have missed that. Does the jailbreak prevent further automatic updates of my Kindle, or do I need to change something else to block that? And thanks for the great job with the JB!
otichy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:38 PM   #295
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by otichy View Post
Hi, I tried searching the thread, but I might have missed that. Does the jailbreak prevent further automatic updates of my Kindle, or do I need to change something else to block that? And thanks for the great job with the JB!
No, and you need to turn airplane mode on to prevent auto updates.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:41 PM   #296
otichy
Connoisseur
otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!otichy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: KPW
Thanks for the reply. Hmmm... that doesn't sound good. No other way around it without loosing the connection? on K3 there were several ways to block the update. Nothing as yet for KPW?
otichy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:02 PM   #297
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Hmmm... that doesn't sound good. No other way around it without loosing the connection? on K3 there were several ways to block the update. Nothing as yet for KPW?
You can try solutions for Kindle Touch. Kindle Touch and Paperwhite firmwares are practically the same.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:30 PM   #298
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
You can fill the memory with some large files so that only a few megabytes of space remains. Copy lerge files somewhere else than into Documents directory so Kindle doesn't try to index the files. If there is not enough space, Kindle will not download the update.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:32 PM   #299
CheriePie
Connoisseur
CheriePie got an A in P-Chem.CheriePie got an A in P-Chem.CheriePie got an A in P-Chem.CheriePie got an A in P-Chem.CheriePie got an A in P-Chem.CheriePie got an A in P-Chem.CheriePie got an A in P-Chem.CheriePie got an A in P-Chem.CheriePie got an A in P-Chem.CheriePie got an A in P-Chem.CheriePie got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Samsung Galaxy S23+, Galaxy Tab S6
So it sounds like I should reinstall Rescue Pack (and only that) after my PW update to 5.3.3 ?
CheriePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:34 PM   #300
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I'm confused.

I had version 5.3.2. I successfully did the jailbreak and installed the collections manager (yea me!). Then, as part of a troubleshooting procedure with Amazon, they had me upgrade to 5.3.3. As part of the upgrade, I got a notice saying it wasn't a test kindle anymore, and the collections manager doesn't work.

Comment 8 at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...55#post2395055 seems to imply that I don't have to downgrade my system, and can just reinstall the kindlet and developer's certificates, but the first page here seems to imply that I have to downgrade to 5.3.1 and then redo the kindlet and developer's certificate.

can some one who knows what they're talking about hold my hand through this, so I can get the collections manager to work again?

Thanks.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote