Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-03-2012, 07:21 AM   #1
kukafei
kukafei has a spectacular aura aboutkukafei has a spectacular aura aboutkukafei has a spectacular aura aboutkukafei has a spectacular aura aboutkukafei has a spectacular aura aboutkukafei has a spectacular aura aboutkukafei has a spectacular aura aboutkukafei has a spectacular aura aboutkukafei has a spectacular aura aboutkukafei has a spectacular aura aboutkukafei has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600, Kindle DX
Updated Sony vs. Kobo Touch

I know there have been comparisons between the Sony T1 and the Kobo Touch, but how about since they'e both had firmware updates.

I have a PRS650 whose screen just died. I mostly buy books from Kobo as well as library books. I am American but live overseas, so that makes the Nook rather inconvenient. I also have a Kindle DX that I use mostly for reading PDFs since my husband ripped up a few hundred of our books and scanned them into PDFs. But I have a lot of epub books and plan to continue buying them since my husband also has a Sony.

I can't view the devices in person since I'll need to have family bring one over in a month. I'm looking for a device that's good for reading. Since I developed tendonitis from holding too many books, I always used a stand for reading, so personal feel doesn't really matter. I like the look of the Kobo but have heard it originally wasn't up to par with Sony and others. I've been happy with my PRS650, though the software isn't the greatest. With my screen getting damaged for no apparent reason after taking good care of it, I'm not sure if I can justify going with the most expensive device. Will the Kobo be enough?
kukafei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:38 AM   #2
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
The Kobo is fine if you don't have any problems with the updates; some of them don't go so smoothly... In the event that you do have problems, this forum is one of the best places to get help quickly. The Kobo desktop app allows you to sync across devices (for Kobo purchases) on which the mobile app is installed as well as your reader.
Personally however, I much prefer my Sony as I had a prs505 previously and like the Sony user interface better even though you can't sync the reader to other devices with apps. I haven't had an update recently to the Sony, the Kobo gets them more often.
The T1 and Kobo Touch both have pretty much the same size, and each have many choices of cases, several of which allow you to stand them up.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2012, 08:14 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
An awful lot of people seem to be having problems with the latest 2.0 firmware update for the Kobo. I'd suggest looking in the Kobo forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:49 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Get the T1. With the June modified reader app, it works better then a Kobo.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:14 PM   #5
frddgls
Connoisseur
frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.

Device: Kobo Forma, iPad, Samsung Galaxy A20
I own both. I had no major problems with the current Kobo update.

Are buttons for page turning important to you?

The Kobo has only one mechanical button -- the Home Screen button. All other navigation uses the touch screen. The Kobo touch screen uses either taps or swipes to turn pages. Sometimes the taps don't register.

The Sony has page forward and page back buttons and buttons that bring up a menu screen. The Sony touch uses swipes only for page turning.

I don't know what these differences might mean to someone with tendinitis.

The Kobo has more control over font size, line spacing, and margins than the Sony. How important would this be to you?

My husband reads mostly paper books. When he wanted to read a book that we owned in digital copy only I loaded it onto both the Sony and the Kobo and offered him his choice of reader. He thought the text looked better on the Sony and chose to read it. This was before the most recent update to the Kobo which allows for fine tuning of fonts. The difference he saw then might no longer exist.

I'm happy with either reader.
frddgls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2012, 10:58 PM   #6
kukafei
kukafei has a spectacular aura aboutkukafei has a spectacular aura aboutkukafei has a spectacular aura aboutkukafei has a spectacular aura aboutkukafei has a spectacular aura aboutkukafei has a spectacular aura aboutkukafei has a spectacular aura aboutkukafei has a spectacular aura aboutkukafei has a spectacular aura aboutkukafei has a spectacular aura aboutkukafei has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600, Kindle DX
Is there any difference in durability? My PRS650 screen somehow got damaged even though I've always taken good care of it, always keep it in a protective case, never dropped or bent it. Now I'm really concerned it will happen again, and I hear the T1 case is plastic.
kukafei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 03:01 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No, no difference in durability, and having a plastic case is no indication of poor build quality. Indeed, plastic can be better at absorbing shock than metal (that's why virtually all modern cars have plastic bumpers). All eInk devices have a thin layer of glass underneath the outer plastic screen; it's this layer, called the screen substrate, which will fracture if the device is subject to shocks or especially to twisting or bending forces.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote