Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-14-2012, 05:31 PM   #1
damaru
Enthusiast
damaru is kind to children and small, furry animalsdamaru is kind to children and small, furry animalsdamaru is kind to children and small, furry animalsdamaru is kind to children and small, furry animalsdamaru is kind to children and small, furry animalsdamaru is kind to children and small, furry animalsdamaru is kind to children and small, furry animalsdamaru is kind to children and small, furry animalsdamaru is kind to children and small, furry animalsdamaru is kind to children and small, furry animalsdamaru is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: kindle
kindle 3 hardware hacking (micro usb & sd card)

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone moded their kindle 3. The first mod I am looking to experiment with is to change the kindle connector to a normal mini usb connection. I wouldn't think it's too hard and the pinout is almost the same - the mini connector cable are simply more available.

The second one would be a lot trickier if not imposible, but I was wondering if it has been done to add a micro sd card reader to the kindle 3? that would really kick some serious ass but would be probably quite hard.

Any other modder out there ? I searched trough the forum and mostly found software hack and no hardware hack atm.

edit

I found some discussion on the board that lead nowhere:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=94548&page=4

/edit
thanks!

Last edited by damaru; 03-14-2012 at 05:59 PM.
damaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:05 PM   #2
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
I suggest to ask this kind of questions in the developer's corner -- it'll probably get much more attention there.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2012, 08:58 PM   #3
geoffwood
Addict
geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT+K4T+PRST1
Quote:
Originally Posted by damaru View Post
The first mod I am looking to experiment with is to change the kindle connector to a normal mini usb connection. I wouldn't think it's too hard and the pinout is almost the same - the mini connector cable are simply more available.
The stock connector is a Micro USB, which is rapidly becoming the standard connector on most new Cell Phones, ereaders and other small electronics.

Why spend the time and effort to switch to Mini USB, which seems to be dying out?
geoffwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:57 PM   #4
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Add a micro USB card reader? You're talking about changing the circuitry of the mainboard inside. I'm not an electronics engineer, but you would need to be one to do that! Then what, use a Dremel on the case? And all for a K3? Hardly seems worthwhile. I'm happy with my Kindle just the way it is.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:40 PM   #5
NightGoat
Connoisseur
NightGoat can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'NightGoat can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'NightGoat can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'NightGoat can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'NightGoat can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'NightGoat can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'NightGoat can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'NightGoat can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'NightGoat can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'NightGoat can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'NightGoat can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle Oasis, DXG, and Kobo Aura One
This is so reminiscent of the old days (early 90s) of scanner radio hacking like restoring cellular reception, adding an S-meters.... It was all a lot of fun, but that aspect of the hobby died out when scanner radios became more "firmware" based like many electronics today.

Sadly, that sort of hacking for the layman isn't possible with today's devices, at least not on the hardware level. I doubt the circuitry is even there for an SD card, that would needlessly add to production cost if the Kindle were never intended to have one.
NightGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2012, 08:19 AM   #6
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Quote:
Originally Posted by damaru View Post
Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone moded their kindle 3. The first mod I am looking to experiment with is to change the kindle connector to a normal mini usb connection. I wouldn't think it's too hard and the pinout is almost the same - the mini connector cable are simply more available.
That does not seem so difficult:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...b%2Caps%2C1228

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote