Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-05-2010, 08:24 AM   #1
dcarlozzi
dcarlozzi began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-505, iPad
settings for ipad for epub to pdf conversion

Would anyone know the correct Calibre conversion settings to enable formatting for a pdf reading app on the ipad? I converted a bunch of epubs to pdf but there is NO formatting on the pages (the words run off the page) and the font is miniscule. Thanks much for any suggestions.

Also, if the above isn't possible, how would I delete just the pdfs from my Calibre folders and not the epubs?
dcarlozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:41 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Why use PDF files on the iPad if you already have ePub ones? For ePub files you can use either the Apple provided iBooks reader, or the independent Stanza reader. EPub files are far better as they support reflowable text so that it is easy to set font sizes to suit you.

To get rid of a particular format you can select all the books and select Edit Metadata. One of the options offered on the resulting dialog is to remove selected formats.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:59 AM   #3
dcarlozzi

itimpi, thank you...you are correct..I removed all the converted pdfs..I was thinking to have the option of different readers, but the conversion just doesn't work..I removed them all (converted pdfs) per your instructions.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:46 PM   #4
dcarlozzi

new problem with the above post- after deleting all the not wanted pdf files individually from each indiv folder in the Calibre folder (mistakenly not using the commands in the Calibre software), the metadata file is still reading that it has these pdfs even though they aren't present in the folders-

is there any way to get the metadata file to update??
Old 07-05-2010, 01:55 PM   #5
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarlozzi View Post
the metadata file is still reading that it has these pdfs even though they aren't present in the folders-

is there any way to get the metadata file to update??
Run Preferences | Advanced | "Check database integrity".
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 02:01 PM   #6
dcarlozzi

Thank you so much for the reply....worked great! So much to learn and so little time!!!!
Old 07-05-2010, 02:16 PM   #7
dcarlozzi

PS. Wow- Now the Calibre interface is correct, however I now have duplicate folders of every book (with different numbers) in all of my folders in my Calibre main folder.

Don't want to go deleting them without advice first...just made that mistake.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:54 AM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarlozzi View Post
PS. Wow- Now the Calibre interface is correct, however I now have duplicate folders of every book (with different numbers) in all of my folders in my Calibre main folder.

Don't want to go deleting them without advice first...just made that mistake.
Look in calibre GUI, select the book that has a duplicate folder and click "O" to open the folder. The one that opens is the one being used.

After you get it cleaned up, keep your fingers out of the calibre database and don't look under the hood again.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 01:14 PM   #9
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Are some of the directories empty? If so then they are going to be the ones you want to remove. It is easy enough to google for utilities for automating the removal of empty directories.

In the case where you have two non-empty folders for the same book, then you will have to follow the earlier advice of looking in the Calibre GUI to see which number corresponds to the correct one.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote