Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-07-2017, 09:36 AM   #526
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
Is there any difference between the eARC and the original when it is released apart from fixing of typos etc.
As Paul says. Normally there are only minor typo fixes. The main reasons for buying an eARC are early access and author support. I only get the eARC for a very, very few authors. For the Liaden books, I buy the eARC and then the audio version when it releases.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 05:40 PM   #527
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh, this is a good one. No really! With an appropriate but definitely cliff-hanging ending, making me want the next eARC even more!

Totally devoured in 24 hours. Will now take some actual time to re-read the last couple and then this one to get it all in the correct time-frame / sequence. And to pick up on the nuances I missed.
Advert
Old 02-07-2017, 06:37 PM   #528
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Oh, this is a good one. No really! With an appropriate but definitely cliff-hanging ending, making me want the next eARC even more!

Totally devoured in 24 hours. Will now take some actual time to re-read the last couple and then this one to get it all in the correct time-frame / sequence. And to pick up on the nuances I missed.
Money well spent, Charlie!

Last edited by issybird; 02-07-2017 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Whoops! Not the thread I thought it was.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 07:53 PM   #529
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Money well spent, Charlie!
Perhaps not the thread you meant, but still, the thought is appreciated. You're right, these are the kinds of purchases I don't feel guilty about. But they're why I need to control the others so I can afford to do the occasional eARC for really favourite series.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:22 PM   #530
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Perhaps not the thread you meant, but still, the thought is appreciated. You're right, these are the kinds of purchases I don't feel guilty about. But they're why I need to control the others so I can afford to do the occasional eARC for really favourite series.
You have 2 months to save up for the next novel in Cherryh's Foreigner series, Charlie. And like The Gathering Edge I think that one is going to be a cliff hanger, too. Looking at Cherryh's blog, she has the next one after this one already completed, which makes me think that it could have been one long book if she'd wanted it that way.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2017, 12:47 PM   #531
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post
You have 2 months to save up for the next novel in Cherryh's Foreigner series, Charlie. And like The Gathering Edge I think that one is going to be a cliff hanger, too. Looking at Cherryh's blog, she has the next one after this one already completed, which makes me think that it could have been one long book if she'd wanted it that way.

Jim
Agreed, Jim. Cherryh's Foreigner series is always a favourite. I wish I could get eARCs for it, actually. This next one is the middle book of a three book story arc, so definitely going to be a cliff hanger.

The books are already long enough. I don't need them to turn into 1,000 page epics, thank you! I like them as three story arcs, just wish they could come a bit faster than one a year.

(And the next book in the Liaden Universe series is also turned in. A bit late, but they've had medical issues to deal with. Neogenesis has been turned in. But now has to go through the (glacial) process at Baen.)
Old 02-08-2017, 01:57 PM   #532
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Neogenesis has been turned in. But now has to go through the (glacial) process at Baen.)
Remind me. Is this a direct sequel to The Gathering Edge or???
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 05:24 PM   #533
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I'll be surprised if it's a direct sequel. Ms Lee's exasperation and relief when she finished The Gathering Edge, in particular regarding Theo, that I think the next novel will involve all the threads underway on Surebleak. Let's hope the authors' household holds together. Reading Ms Lee's blog it always seems that her and her husband's existence is very precarious--physically, mentally and financially--and it wouldn't take much to make the last novel that they have a contract for, impossible.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 07:53 PM   #534
CRussel
(he/him/his)

I don't think it's quite that bad, Jim. After all, they've managed to write 21 books and "lots" of shorter works in this Universe of theirs, so I expect they'll manage to write some more. If I've counted right, they have contracts for at least two more, and I suspect can get contracts for as many more as they feel up to writing.

That being said, it's certainly true that The Gathering Edge was a novel that they struggled with, pulling all the pieces together. Neogenesis will be back on Surebleak, but I expect Theo to be a part of that, based on what we saw in Edge.
Old 02-08-2017, 07:57 PM   #535
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Maybe? I expect yes in some ways, but more a pulling together of the multiple threads that have happened simultaneously in Edge and Alliance. But honestly, I don't know and I don't think they've let the cat completely out of the bag on it. We knew coming in that Edge was a Theo novel, but we're less sure of Neogenesis. Except I can infer some things from the title, especially around some hints that are in Edge.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:07 PM   #536
CRussel
(he/him/his)

By the way, there's a spoiler thread up on sharonleewriter.com for those who have read The Gathering Edge and want to talk about it. It lists the books in the 5 book contract bundle, of which Edge is #3. (And, FWIW, there's at least two more under contract post this bundle of 5.)

What I found particularly interesting was this comment from Sharon: (spoiler tags for a reason--you've been warned)
Spoiler:
Theo was supposed to have shared Alliance of Equals with Padi, and she refused to play nice. So we had to move her over to her own book. Which meant that the book now known as Neogenesis went pear-shaped and had to be, uh, revisioned.

The other part of this book that intrigued me is: (OK, really serious spoiler here)
Spoiler:
Yxtrang Ambassador Vepal and his crew of Yxtrang wandering around through the book without ever really impacting anything. Yet. You just know they're there for a reason. But we won't find out what that reason is until at least Neogenesis.
Old 02-12-2017, 02:19 AM   #537
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
If I've counted right, they have contracts for at least two more, and I suspect can get contracts for as many more as they feel up to writing.
Apparently, I missed three of them. The Gathering Edge is "Three of Five", followed by Neogenesis and then "Five of Five", due to the publisher next January (so probably two years from now before we see it.) After that, they have a contract for two books in the Liaden Universe (currently called the 'mask' books), and then a further contract for 3 more Liaden books after that. So, nearly another decade of work ahead of them and 7 more books for us to read. At least!
Old 02-24-2017, 01:01 PM   #538
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Change Management: New Liaden Chapbook

For those following all things Liaden, there's a new Chapbook titled Change Management up on Amazon (now) and the various other places, including Baenebooks.com (shortly).

The first of two stories is Street Cred, which is new to this book and not published before. The second is Wise Child which previously appeared on Baen.com as a free story.

I just finished it, and I very much enjoyed both. Though Wise Child was a reread.
Old 03-04-2017, 02:51 PM   #539
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Apparently, I missed three of them. The Gathering Edge is "Three of Five", followed by Neogenesis and then "Five of Five", due to the publisher next January (so probably two years from now before we see it.) After that, they have a contract for two books in the Liaden Universe (currently called the 'mask' books), and then a further contract for 3 more Liaden books after that. So, nearly another decade of work ahead of them and 7 more books for us to read. At least!
Wow - this is the best news I've had in 2017! Thank you very for making my day.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 02:58 PM   #540
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
For those following all things Liaden, there's a new Chapbook titled Change Management up on Amazon (now) and the various other places, including Baenebooks.com (shortly).

The first of two stories is Street Cred, which is new to this book and not published before. The second is Wise Child which previously appeared on Baen.com as a free story.

I just finished it, and I very much enjoyed both. Though Wise Child was a reread.
Thanks Charlie! I've just downloaded it. I find Amazon's numbering of the Liaden chapbooks a bit confusing, so I really appreciate you pointing it out!

Last edited by Victoria; 03-04-2017 at 04:19 PM.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote