Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 03-20-2017, 07:43 PM   #1
royconejo
royconejo began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox MAX
Unhappy Onyx Boox MAX: stylus recalibration

Hello all,

Accidentally I've chosen to do a stylus calibration then pointed and clicked at random places on screen. Result: the stylus is now useless. I cannot point and click on anything on screen. I cannot navigate through the Android GUI with the only four hardware buttons either.

So.. how could I reset the calibration data? How could I start a new stylus calibration process without using the stylus?

Things I tried:

1) www.onyx-boox.com support. Useless. They suggested me to navigate to privacy -> clear data. I cannot do that with a messed up stylus calibration.

2) pressing POWER + Back button and doing a full factory and cache reset. It won't reset stylus calibration.

3) read this thread where an M96 user had exactly my same problem and tried the same things as I did. Booxtor suggest him to download a firmware and use MFG Tool to reset the device and that worked. But I have no full firmware image for my Onyx Boox MAX.

I refuse to believe my 700 USD device has been rendered useless because of a miscalibration.. but well..

Any help will be greately appreciated!

Last edited by royconejo; 03-20-2017 at 07:46 PM.
royconejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:16 PM   #2
Calculon
many books \ little time
Calculon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Hi there,

Check on Booxtor's site to find the latest update 1.8.1 .

http://ereader-store.de/en/content/8-downloads

Don't despair and good luck!
Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:22 PM   #3
pochopsp
Connoisseur
pochopsp can extract oil from cheesepochopsp can extract oil from cheesepochopsp can extract oil from cheesepochopsp can extract oil from cheesepochopsp can extract oil from cheesepochopsp can extract oil from cheesepochopsp can extract oil from cheesepochopsp can extract oil from cheese

Device: Onyx Boox M92 & Nova Pro
Is there a way to connect a USB mouse or keyboard with a OTG cable? If so I think you're fine.

Last edited by pochopsp; 03-20-2017 at 08:28 PM.
pochopsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:58 PM   #4
royconejo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
Hi there,

Check on Booxtor's site to find the latest update 1.8.1 .

http://ereader-store.de/en/content/8-downloads

Don't despair and good luck!
Thanks. I've downloaded update.zip and updated via power+back boot menu (remember, no functional stylus here).

The update finished ok, but this is the result when I restarted:

I've left it untouched for the last 20 minutes and nothing shows up... so I don't think its doing anything at all.

Last edited by royconejo; 03-20-2017 at 09:35 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:06 PM   #5
royconejo

OK.. when I restarted from the previous state (totally black screen), the screen gone mad (vertical bars and patterns), the blue led blinked and then again some crazy bars. Now the led is on a still blue and the device is doing nothing I can tell.

Is this normal?

Last edited by royconejo; 03-20-2017 at 09:08 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:32 PM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moderator Notice

Please take a few moments to read our Posting Guidelines, in particular the part about the maximum image size allowed (600x600 pixels). Images that violate those guidelines may be deleted.

It is every member's responsibility to read our Posting Guidelines and follow them.

Thanks.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:47 PM   #7
Calculon
many books \ little time

Quote:
Originally Posted by royconejo View Post
OK.. when I restarted from the previous state (totally black screen), the screen gone mad (vertical bars and patterns), the blue led blinked and then again some crazy bars. Now the led is on a still blue and the device is doing nothing I can tell.

Is this normal?
I really don't know. Where did you buy it from? They may be able to help you. Call Onyx back talk to someone else. Have them escalate it to second line support if necessary.

In the meantime you may want to read the posts in the discussion
New 13.3" Onyx Boox. Rumours, prototype specs, first pictures
If memory serves, I recall reading posts about flashing the MAX device, the issues people had, and the workarounds. I read it about a month ago so I can't recall exactly where. I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

Good luck.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:56 AM   #8
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Hello,

it looks like the reset to the factory settings didn't affect system settings of the digitizer. Strange. As next I suggest to try to use MFG tool to recover your system. This tool re-partition the storage and re-writes everything. It must work.

Download and unzip this file: http://ereader-store.de/DATA/MAX_/Ma...7ad9e_user.zip

1. Start MfgTool2.exe
2. Connect your Max to the PC and power off your device (press power button for 8-10 seconds)
3. press Back button and Power button at the same time and keep pressing them until the HID compliant device appears in the MFG program window (ca. 4 seconds). Your device is in download mode now and the screen of the device remains unchanged.

4. .Click on Start button in the program and wait for the software has been installed (3-4 minutes)

I didn't get any contact request from you concerning this issue. Where did you buy your Max?
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 03:56 AM   #9
royconejo

Thank you all for your help!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
it looks like the reset to the factory settings didn't affect system settings of the digitizer. Strange.
Yes.. I tried everything. From powering it off to wipe data & cache. Nothing resets the calibration.

Quote:
I suggest to try to use MFG tool to recover your system. This tool re-partition the storage and re-writes everything. It must work.
Before this I tried running "update.zip" from the Android boot menu. The update operation said it succeeded, but then I had flashes all over the screen then nothing.

This MFG tool method was effective cleaning the stylus calibration to factory. And now I have a new and fresh (and faster!) android installed.

The problem now is the display. Please look at the images. It seems everything is drawn twice at different vertical offsets.

It seems a simple offset issue. I mean.. the display doesn't seem damaged.

Any idea how to solve this? Maybe a hidden screen calibration option?
Thanks!

Quote:
I didn't get any contact request from you concerning this issue. Where did you buy your Max?
I bought it in the Netherlands.

Last edited by royconejo; 03-22-2017 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:46 PM   #10
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you all for your help!!

I bought it in the Netherlands.
Don't worry. I have forwarded your pictures to our engineers. It is indeed not normal. Looks like something went wrong during installation and display drivers were affected somehow. Never experienced such an issue before. Did you try to re-flash the firmware using same MFG Tool? We will find a solution anyway.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:24 PM   #11
royconejo

Quote:
Don't worry. I have forwarded your pictures to our engineers. It is indeed not normal. Looks like something went wrong during installation and display drivers were affected somehow. Never experienced such an issue before. Did you try to re-flash the firmware using same MFG Tool? We will find a solution anyway.
thanks Booxtor, your help is really appreciated.

Yes, I tried to re-flash again with the MFG Tool with the same results. I noticed that it has affected everything displayed, even the Android boot menu (power + back button). The screen is working fine letting apart the offset.

In "Applications->Onyx NPI Test" I have even tried most of the tests. Then there's a Chinese named application that has an android Icon with some technical tests I have not tried.

I'm confident we'll find a solution. If you need more pictures or anything else, please let me know.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:18 AM   #12
Booxtor
Booxtor

I generated a new update package for your Max. It is of most recent dev stand. Please try to use it in order to reset the screen parameters. If it does not help, I guess the problem must be escalated to the warranty claim. It could be a kind of loosened connection of the screen to the PCB.
Here is the download link: http://ereader-store.de/DATA/MAX_/Ma...e8bfd_user.zip

Last edited by Booxtor; 03-27-2017 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:16 PM   #13
royconejo

Quote:
I generated a new update package for your Max. It is of most recent dev stand. Please try to use it in order to reset the screen parameters. If it does not help, I guess the problem must be escalated to the warranty claim. It could be a kind of loosened connection of the screen to the PCB.
Here is the download link: http://ereader-store.de/DATA/MAX_/Ma...7ad9e_user.zip
Hello Booxtor. Is that link ok? I've checked the zip (md5 hash) and it's exactly the same firmware I've downloaded and flashed twice.

Installing a new update package is the only thing I'll need to do to reset the screen parameters? or should I run something in Android?

Thanks!
Old 03-27-2017, 01:56 PM   #14
Booxtor
Booxtor

Quote:
Hello Booxtor. Is that link ok? I've checked the zip (md5 hash) and it's exactly the same firmware I've downloaded and flashed twice.

Installing a new update package is the only thing I'll need to do to reset the screen parameters? or should I run something in Android?

Thanks!
I am sorry, you are right. Correct link is : http://ereader-store.de/DATA/MAX_/Ma...e8bfd_user.zip
It is not the same software. This is the latest version of dev branch (testing release of 1.8.2) which I created for you. Please try it.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:57 PM   #15
Calculon
many books \ little time

And Booxtor's karma keeps growing! :-)

Nice work!