Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-01-2019, 09:13 AM   #1
iridius
Connoisseur
iridius began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, iPhone (to get Dell Streak & iPad)
Mark Cover Grid / Thumbnails as Read or Not Read

Any idea if there is a way to mark books as read in the Cover Grid / Thumbnail view? I use an app on my Android phone and it has a black bar on the side of completed books, I have seen green check marks on other programs, and Plex (which I use for media) has an orange triangle for unwatched shows/movies. Fading out already read books by a certain amount would be awesome too. Really I'd be happy with any option and grateful for any insight, have a great day.
iridius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 09:58 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Create a field to track read status and then setup a rule to display whatever emblem you want based on the field in Preferences->Look & feel->Cover grid->Emblems
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 07:20 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by iridius View Post
Any idea if there is a way to mark books as read in the Cover Grid / Thumbnail view?
As Kovid stated you can set up emblems. Attached are what my emblems look like.

# = ran count pages plugin on this book.
Ordered List = Has a decent TOC
X in Red Circle = Has no TOC or garbage TOC
White Heart in Blue circle = I have read the book
Recycling Symbol = Massive work still needs to be done on this book.

The options are endless, use whatever icons you want. You can also change how large the emblems are in preferences.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	emblems.jpg
Views:	674
Size:	320.9 KB
ID:	175261   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cover Grid Emblems.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	186.3 KB
ID:	175262  

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 12-01-2019 at 07:39 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 09:15 AM   #4
iridius
Connoisseur

Awesome quick solution thank you.

I assume there is no way to put the emblem "on top" of the cover image. That is superimposed, not above it, it would save some space and I could get more book covers on one screen.

@DoctorOhh - What are your settings to get your covers so close, I messed with the spacing between covers and the , cover size options but couldn't get anything that was a "tight" as the screenshot you posted, also didn't see an option to get all covers set to same height width even if I change the Cover Width and Cover Height options manually they still show up with different aspect rations (that is some wider and some taller, are yours all the same resolution to begin with or am I missing something.

Thanks.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:26 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Preferences: Look and feel: Cover grid: <see image>
re read the request. superimpose is not a choice
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Locationofemblems.JPG
Views:	226
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	175279  
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 11:09 AM   #6
uli
Zealot
uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo, Calibre
I wouldn't mind a superimpose option (like for marked books when emblem is disabled) or improved alignment.

It gets a bit floaty with my setup...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Emblems.png
Views:	245
Size:	399.7 KB
ID:	175285  
uli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 08:31 PM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I assume there is no way to put the emblem "on top" of the cover image. That is superimposed, not above it, it would save some space and I could get more book covers on one screen.
Not that I'm aware of.

Quote:
@DoctorOhh - What are your settings to get your covers so close, I messed with the spacing between covers and the , cover size options but couldn't get anything that was a "tight" as the screenshot you posted, also didn't see an option to get all covers set to same height width even if I change the Cover Width and Cover Height options manually they still show up with different aspect rations (that is some wider and some taller, are yours all the same resolution to begin with or am I missing something.
Preferences - Look & feel - Cover Grid Tab - Layout tab - Spacing between covers (see attached)

Quote:
also didn't see an option to get all covers set to same height width even if I change the Cover Width and Cover Height options manually they still show up with different aspect rations (that is some wider and some taller, are yours all the same resolution to begin with or am I missing something.
My covers aren't all the same resolution but they are all the same ratio. All of my covers are 3:4 ratio. I use the Resize Cover plugin (see attached) to resize my covers to a 3:4 ratio this makes them all uniform, but obviously slightly distorts many covers. Personally I like the uniformity, but it drives some folks to distraction.

So far all of my e-ink ereaders have had a 3:4 ratio and I use the cover of the book I'm currently reading as the image presented when the e-ink ereader goes to sleep.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Preferences-Look&feel-Layout-Spacing.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	200.6 KB
ID:	175294   Click image for larger version

Name:	resize-cover-plugin.jpg
Views:	511
Size:	565.9 KB
ID:	175299   Click image for larger version

Name:	library.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	611.6 KB
ID:	175300  

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 12-02-2019 at 09:15 PM.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:27 AM   #8
iridius
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Not that I'm aware of.

Preferences - Look & feel - Cover Grid Tab - Layout tab - Spacing between covers (see attached)

My covers aren't all the same resolution but they are all the same ratio. All of my covers are 3:4 ratio. I use the Resize Cover plugin (see attached) to resize my covers to a 3:4 ratio this makes them all uniform, but obviously slightly distorts many covers. Personally I like the uniformity, but it drives some folks to distraction.

So far all of my e-ink ereaders have had a 3:4 ratio and I use the cover of the book I'm currently reading as the image presented when the e-ink ereader goes to sleep.
Awesome, thank you I'll try to act when I get home from work on Sunday, that is my life doesn't have a list of things for me to do :-)

What ereader do you use and how do you set the book cover to the sleep image?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 12-11-2019, 12:43 AM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
What ereader do you use and how do you set the book cover to the sleep image?
I read on an Icarus Illumina XL HD, same as the BOYUE Likebook Plus, I know this because I have put the firmware for the Likebook Plus on my ereader. I use Calibre Companion to place books on the device and to send the current cover of the book I last opened to the Picture folder to be used as the power save screen then follow the below steps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Using ReLaunchX I navigate to the image in the Picture folder (where I had Calibre Companion send it) and click on it. The image opens in Comic Viewer. Then I use reverse pinch hand gestures to stretch the image to fit the screen. Once the image fits the screen I tap the center of the screen to bring up the top menu bar. I then tap the icon to the right of the image name and it sets this image as the screen saver image.
This is very specific to my ereader. You will have to ask folks familiar with the ereader you use if you can do something similar on your ereader.