Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-23-2022, 10:30 PM   #1
timetoad2000
timetoad2000 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Post Looking at nook glowlight 4

I am looking into a barnes and noble nook glowlight 4.
I need to know the following,
* I am enrolled in community college, do they accept student discounts?
* Do barnes and noble coupons count towards the nook?
* Can I load my own .epub and .pdf files for my own personal consumption?
* How bright is the glowlight, can I see in the dark or is it a gimmick?
* Does it work seamlessly with Calibre.

All the best,
timetoad2000
timetoad2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 12:15 AM   #2
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I'll answer the ones I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetoad2000 View Post
* Can I load my own .epub and .pdf files for my own personal consumption?
Yes. But I wouldn't use an e-ink reader like the Nook, Kindle or Kobo for PDF files. For ePub, no problem.

Be aware though: The Glowlight 4 has 32GB of storage, but you can only use 5GB for sideloading your own content. The rest is reserved for content purchased from B&N.

Quote:
* How bright is the glowlight, can I see in the dark or is it a gimmick?
I don't have a Glowlight 4, but I have a Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight, a 2015 Glowlight Plus and a Glowlight 3. All have Glowlight and it is wonderful for reading in the dark. It is not a gimmick.

I thought the orange/amber light was a gimmick, but I love it for reading at night.

Quote:
* Does it work seamlessly with Calibre.
It works fine with Calibre. But if you're going to heavily use Calibre for sideloading, you might look at a Kobo. It works much better. You can control series and collections on your Kobo with Calibre. You can't do that with Nook or Kindle.

I think the Glowlight 4 looks like a very nice reader. But you might also consider buying a Kobo Clara from Walmart. It is a very nice reader comparable to the Glowlight 4 (though it doesn't have page turn buttons). Right now it is on sale for $90.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
new user, nook, questions