Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 09-22-2021, 03:19 AM   #1
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
New 32 GB PW 4s (previous ed.) $95 at Best Buy

They've also got the 8 GB version for $90(?). At any rate, if you like the Paperwhite 4 and need lots of memory, this looks looks like a pretty good deal ($65 savings claimed).

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/amazon-...?skuId=6308766
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 04:17 PM   #2
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
It's probably a good deal from the POV of an accountant in a cost benefit analysis, but this irrational old duffer would rather wait to see if there are any discounts on V5. Besides, I don't think I need 32 GB.

I'm curious, how many people use more than 8gb?
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 06:51 PM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
It's probably a good deal from the POV of an accountant in a cost benefit analysis, but this irrational old duffer would rather wait to see if there are any discounts on V5. Besides, I don't think I need 32 GB.

I noticed that some folks mentioned they liked 6" better, so I thought I'd put it out there (and it seemed like a good deal for those who do want 32 GBs). But (like you) I have no need for 32 GB of storage. Maybe if I read PDFs or manga's. As tempting as it might be to try out the new 6.8" Paperwhite, I'm not going there either. I've got enough Kindles and I really like the Voyage when I'm not using my PocketBook or Nook or Tolino — I like the ePub format better.
Old 09-23-2021, 05:43 AM   #4
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Besides, I don't think I need 32 GB.

Try as I might, I've never come close to filling up my 8gb PW4. And it started to choke recently so I took a lot of books off. Have over 5gb free on it. So 32gb sounds nice, but in reality, not something I need.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 04:31 PM   #5
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:

I mean, I have 800+ Audible books (mostly through going through and buying all the free audible sessions) and several thousand ebooks on my Amazon account.

So I *could* totally fill one but since I have a phone plan with unlimited tethering I really don't need to.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 09:23 PM   #6
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
I use the 32GB for manga and even then, it's too cramped to store all my favorite series.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 11:06 AM   #7
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I noticed that some folks mentioned they liked 6" better, so I thought I'd put it out there...
Count me as one that would prefer a 6" reader. I have been looking at the Libra off and on, but I think that's just the antsiness of wanting a new gadget.

Quote:
(and it seemed like a good deal for those who do want 32 GBs). But (like you) I have no need for 32 GB of storage. Maybe if I read PDFs or manga's.
PDF and comics (maybe not so much manga) seem like they would be better served by a tablet, as even a cheap tablet will have more power, bigger screen, more storage and color.

As for books, my old Nook Glowlight (2015) has only the (at the time) standard 2.5 GB of storage and I haven't had to worry about filling it up. In fact, I don't think the Paperwhite 4 would be an improvement over my six year old Nook, for me.

Not to sound like Bill Gates, but for ebook storage, 8 is enough.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 12:09 PM   #8
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
4 used to be enough, but then the OS got that big. How long until the OS alone takes so much that 8 total doesn't leave much room for book?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 05:07 AM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

The price for the 8GB Twilight Blue version is now $80 at Best Buy... and the others are still $90. Weird. (The same at Amazon.)

Apparently, if you have a Student Prime Account, and you choose to try Kindle Unlimited for 3 months, you can add the code "kindle45" (without the quotes) and get an additional $45 off. So the Twilight Blue 8 GB Kindle Paperwhite 4, would be $35, the others would be $45.
Old 09-25-2021, 11:10 AM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I think size is cyclical.

..or soon we'll have ereaders the size of TVs.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 11:58 AM   #11
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post

Except there's no solid evidence Bill Gates actually said that.

But it's probably kinda like a quote from the 2008 US presidential election where a quote attributed to one of the VP candidates was actually the SNL portrayal of that candidate who said it, where it doesn't matter whether the person it's attributed to actually said it, it's the popular perception that it was said by that person.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 03:32 PM   #12
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
Except there's no solid evidence Bill Gates actually said that.
Which is of course why I linked to a story advising that the quote is apocryphal...
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 09:51 PM   #13
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Quote:
I have almost that much just in fanfic, which I'm not even loading that on it. I have a ton of ebooks. And I'm being picky on what ebooks I'm putting on my 32gig paperwhite I just got.

The thing with the paperwhite, it takes forever to sideload, in small chunks, so I spent two weeks on and off loading it and waiting for it to index. So I'm not going to fill the space at that rate anyway. But I also wanted some audiobooks on there as well. And while the kindle reserves some of that space for it's program, I'm not convinced it'll use it wisely, and not bump off some more space now and again for other files it wants to keep.

So, I'm putting a huge amount on it, but not really planning to fill it up. But it's a lot more than 8gig.

I always max out all my devices. I've never regretted it, and only regretted NOT doing so. Because that's the way I roll. But as well as having my library to hand, I consider it a backup copy. The internet goes down, and my computer gets lost, I still have a huge chunk of my stash that I can also get off of it, if I need to. I don't need a USB storage if the reader can store the same stuff.

All in all, I love the Boox Onyx Nova2 so much more, but for playing with and tossing it in my purse, the kindle is just a toy that I do enjoy reading off of.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote