Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-26-2021, 11:51 AM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Marcel Proust - Happy Birthday!

Happy 150th Birthday, Marclel Proust, you horny old rogue!

Born on July 10, 1871. (150 years and one month!)

I just now purchased Vol. 1 of the William C. Carter translation, a Proustian scholar who translated the first 4 volumes and is presumably working on the remaining volumes.

This Carter translation is not available as an ebook in the U.S.A., so I decided to take a virtual flight to the UK - the weather was great, by the way! - where I purchased it from Kobo.

About 20 years ago I read the first volume in the Scott Moncrieff translation, and then later the Pleiade revised edition of that first volume. And then, unaccountably, I skipped to volume 4 or 5. And I continued to love what I was reading.

I've now decided to read them in order: The first 4 in the Carter translation, and the remaining volumes in the available Pleiade editions. (I have the Modern Library ebook which combines all the books in one omnibus volume.)

SPOILER: The butler did it!

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 08-26-2021 at 02:08 PM.
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 09:41 PM   #2
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
I thought he was still alive.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 07:47 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
I thought he was still alive.

Spoiler:
You're confusing hin with his brother who had a cameo in Night of the Living Dead Authors.

Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 03:33 PM   #4
Witty Username
Addict
Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kobo Touch, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Happy 150th Birthday, Marclel Proust, you horny old rogue!

Born on July 10, 1871. (150 years and one month!)
Would this be an appropriate time to confess that I always thought that ELO were singing "Don't bring me down, Proust"?

Apparently a lot of people misheard that as 'Bruce' but for many years I thought it was 'Proust'.

Quote:
Don't bring me down
No, no, no, no, no
Ooh-ooh-hoo
I'll tell you once more before I get off the floor
Don't bring me down
Don't bring me down, groos
Don't bring me down
Witty Username is offline   Reply With Quote