Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-27-2013, 03:41 PM   #1
MarekGibek
Zealot
MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C
15 MB more memory (RAM)

A very simple change (of 1 line of code) in the kernel sources will give you ~15 MB more memory (RAM) on your kobo. The change is:
https://github.com/marek-g/kobo-kern...7d3b4a487ed200

If you are using my image (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=220350) with Firefox it will give you much better web browsing experience.

So what's the price?

The parameter reduces number of video buffers used for concurrent screen updates. eInk controller can update up to 15 screen regions at the same time (if requested). But most of the time large areas are updated and having too many buffers makes no sense if you can trade it for memory.

I was suprised that I couldn't see almost any negative impact after that change. Except less frequent updates of mouse cursor in X11 (which I would like to hide anyway). I even think that overall experience is even better now:
  • less crazy flickering of motion areas that could trigger multiple refreshes before
  • less CPU usage

Original kobo firmware works as always (no difference noticed). Having more memory original kobo's web browser will crash later

Last edited by MarekGibek; 09-27-2013 at 03:45 PM.
MarekGibek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 04:27 PM   #2
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo
Very nice hack!
KevinShort is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2018, 03:56 AM   #3
nicolas161
Enthusiast
nicolas161 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.nicolas161 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.nicolas161 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.nicolas161 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.nicolas161 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.nicolas161 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.nicolas161 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.nicolas161 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.nicolas161 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.nicolas161 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.nicolas161 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Is this still relevant?
nicolas161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 05:38 AM   #4
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
older kobos like mini, touch only had 256MB of RAM, newer ones have at least 512MB.

I guess with +256MB RAM compared to before a ~10MBish difference will no longer pull that much weight.

Not sure about refresh behavior. I've never patched my kernel
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote