Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-21-2010, 04:44 PM   #1
adrian1944
Connoisseur
adrian1944 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.adrian1944 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.adrian1944 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.adrian1944 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Imac, iPhone SE, iPad Air 2, Ipad Mini, Ipad Pro, Sony 650.
Calibre version 1.00?

Is it not time to consider Calibre ready to advance to the very real milestone of version 1.00 rather than the prelude area we are in.

I think I have been with calibre since around 0.24 and the progress has been phenomenal the extra items included at 0.70 were fantastic with the user defined columns.

At the same time I do not see the same leap forward in what I currently read in this forum, with long threads about the beauty or not of the interface and the new buttons. Surely we would prefer the substance of the programme to how pretty it looks on whatever platform one is using.

I also either do not understand or fail to see the point of some of some of the future changes that are suggested which seem more what one individual would like from calibre rather than benefits to the main (silent) base of users.

I am not saying that there are not changes that could be useful but I do feel a plateau has been reached hence my question.

Thanks to Kovid and all the developers for a fantatic programme but please keep concentrating on substance over form as up to now

adrian
adrian1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:49 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian1944 View Post
I also either do not understand or fail to see the point of some of some of the future changes that are suggested which seem more what one individual would like from calibre rather than benefits to the main (silent) base of users.
The silent majority is wonderful -- it agrees with everybody! (At least until it doesn't. )
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2010, 05:36 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Not too worry, I have no intention of getting side tracked into spending time on prettyfying calibre. As for 1.0 there are a few areas left in the calibre code base that need to be cleaned up before it reaches 1.0

Just a few of the major features on the drawing board

1) Browsing and downloading book collections from multiple ebook sources
2) An optional networked backend to store your library
3) A much more powerful PDF conversion engine
4) Various improvements to the viewer to support annotations
5) A complete overhaul of the db backend to make it more robust/faster add more complete metadata
6) Much more powerful add books and download metadata systems

I have no idea which of these features will get done when or even if. But they all have higher priorities than prettification. My current priority is cleaning up the main calibre GUI to solve various long standing issues, hence all the noise about icons and minor tweaks, just ignore it.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:10 PM   #4
marcaronson408
marcaronson408 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
2) An optional networked backend to store your library
Would this enable one to have a single Caliber library that can be simultaneously accessed by multiple clients on a LAN? If I am properly understanding the intent of this feature, it would be a wonderful capability.

Quote:
But they all have higher priorities than prettification. My current priority is cleaning up the main calibre GUI to solve various long standing issues, hence all the noise about icons and minor tweaks, just ignore it.
For what it's worth, I agree completely with your priorities.

Marc
marcaronson408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:17 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, basically it will be a network protocol for connecting to libraries. It will support concurrent access.
Advert
Old 07-24-2010, 02:08 PM   #6
Jedai
Jedai began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, Sony Touch Reader
Thumbs up

That would be absolutely wonderful !!
Good luck with this. (Though I must say that your current improvement of the interface is also welcome, all too often free software communities neglect the interface of their tool)

--
Jedaï
Jedai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 02:41 PM   #7
mikij
Connoisseur
mikij doesn't littermikij doesn't litter

Device: PRS-600
Quote:
Just a few of the major features on the drawing board

4) Various improvements to the viewer to support annotations

I have no idea which of these features will get done when or even if. But they all have higher priorities than prettification.
This would be great for us poor Sony users (sorry: former users of Sony software - because since some time I only use Calibre - but current users of their reader !

I agree, making Calibre prettier will not change a lot, but functionality improvements are always welcome.
mikij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 03:39 PM   #8
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I dont know about most but I prefer a program to be more useful than pretty. Especially for the price charged for Calibre
There are several prettier programs out there that do about a tenth than what Calibre does and they cost money... some quite a bit
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 03:50 PM   #9
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Kovid, what you should do is put up a list of the top five enhancements you're thinking about making to calibre, and let people vote on them with their donations -- a dollar a vote. Maybe we could donate for the purchase of a capital "C" too!
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 04:10 PM   #10
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
One of these days, some one will put upper case "C"s on sale and I'll buy a bunch to donate to Kovid.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 05:40 PM   #11
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
Quote:
1) Browsing and downloading book collections from multiple ebook sources
Would this just be hard drive locations?

Or might it include an interface to allow direct download of epubs from Project Gutenberg (with proper author/title instead of that PITA number they use )....
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:31 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

It would be online sources, like PG or MR or feedbooks.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:50 PM   #13
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
This is what I've promised Kovid that if he implements it, I will buy him a dinner in any restaurant in town if and when we wind up in the same city. *looks at the preceding sentence* Well, that sentence should be taken out and shot, but you know what I mean.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote