Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-06-2010, 05:14 PM   #1
NickS
NickS began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Charging issues

Got my PRS-600 last Thursday. I was using it today having charged it up on Friday for it to go from having 3 bars of battery to telling me i have none left. I put it on charge today by USB for 6 hours and when i pulled it out it told me i didn't have full battery but only three bars. Is this a battery problem or what?

UPDATE - I just plugged it in the USB to transfer something over and after I unplugged it it registered as only having one bar of battery.
Help anyone?

Last edited by NickS; 06-06-2010 at 05:27 PM.
NickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 06:41 PM   #2
MSJim
Bookworm
MSJim began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600, Nook STR
As reported here many times, the USB charging feature is not the best.

First, the USB port will not charge the reader if the PC goes into sleep mode.
Does the red light on top of the reader stay on during the whole USB charging period? If it goes out, that means the unit is not charging, and if still connected to the PC will actually discharge the battery.

Second, USB ports typically only put out 5.0 volts, so it will charge slower than the Sony wall chargers which are spec'd at 5.2 volts.

I strongly recommend you get a wall charger. You don't have to spend $30 for the official Sony charger. Any PSP compatible charger will work. You can find one locally, or on line for as little as $2. I use an old Dell Axim charger which is spec'd at 5.4 volts.

The drop in indicated charge is not unexpected. The reader does use more power when reading and sorting the library after transfer activity, but it should be negligible, certainly not have been two bars. I would expect the brief charge while connected to the USB would offset the power consumed by the internal library activity.

The battery charge indicator on the PRS-600 is reported to be less than reliable and may improve through a couple of charge discharge cycles.

I hope this helps.
MSJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2010, 07:23 PM   #3
joseph2000
joseph2000 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I did have huge problems with battery in PRS-600 as well, even if I used wall charger. The beginning was similar to what you described. After a few weeks of utilizing the reader I was really frustrated with the fact that after a few hours of charging it was enough to read for a few hours only.
I started looking for some tricks: I tried reseting, running in test mode, charging via different USBs etc. and nothing helped. Once I found simple trick described on this forum: make a backup of your books located on PRS-600, shut it down then, just unscrew the tool's back case and physically disconnect the battery for 5 minutes or so. Connect the battery and screw the back case. After this fully charge the reader using wall charger.
After performing this trick I resolved all my battery problems: indicator works as expected (full charge shows 4 bars as it should) and battery works fine for 2 weeks after full charge.
So if you have the battery problems after trying other tricks, try this one. Worked for me.
joseph2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:01 PM   #4
NickS
NickS began at the beginning.

Thanks for the tips Joseph. I however shan't try that. I'm just simply going to take it back to argos to be replaced on Saturday. I can still use it but it's ever so strange.
I charged it yesterday via a wall charger until the light went off and registered no difference. Put in on USB on full charge and the same results. Charged via the wall again and today when i used it went down to three bars after 5 mins of use.
How strange...
NickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:19 AM   #5
rudyt
Sony Reader
rudyt began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300 and PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSJim View Post
Second, USB ports typically only put out 5.0 volts, so it will charge slower than the Sony wall chargers which are spec'd at 5.2 volts.

I strongly recommend you get a wall charger. You don't have to spend $30 for the official Sony charger. Any PSP compatible charger will work. You can find one locally, or on line for as little as $2. I use an old Dell Axim charger which is spec'd at 5.4 volts.
Caveat: Note that most eBay PSP chargers are only 5V as well, not 5.2V. Read the fine print and/or enlarge the image and read the voltage specs.

/rudy
rudyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2010, 02:10 AM   #6
joseph2000
joseph2000 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
If you can replace it then even better. With the new one try to use wall charger only and perform a few full charge-discharge cycles as suggested on this forum as well. That may help you.
I did the "disconnect battery" trick as I tried to avoid sending the device for service from Europe to US. Apart of the fact that I didn't wanted to loose the reader for a month (sending there and back) I was worried that instead original reader I will receive refurbished one. So I did that trick because I somehow decided it is the only choice I have had
Anyway I'll be interested knowing if the replaced reader will behave better. From my perspective the reader battery is the weakest point in PRS-600 as very often people report issues related to this part. But once you make it work the tool becomes perfect
joseph2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:06 PM   #7
Cue
Cue began at the beginning.

I too seem to be having battery problems. The device just refuses to charge at all. Whether using a USB or wall charger the thing says low battery as soon as the charger is taken out. I noticed that on the wall charger the red light goes off then after a while turns back on. It continually does this. Any ideas?

Last edited by Cue; 03-06-2011 at 07:48 AM.
Cue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:24 PM   #8
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
What is the wall charger... does it use the PSU barrel connector or is it a USB wall charger which probably won't work and usually causes the battery to discharge...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:47 AM   #9
Cue

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
What is the wall charger... does it use the PSU barrel connector or is it a USB wall charger which probably won't work and usually causes the battery to discharge...
Hi elcreative
affirmative, it uses the PSU barrel connector. To be more specific, it is an official PSP charger.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:13 AM   #10
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
Cue,

have you tried to do a soft-reset?
Maybe the CPU-refuse to go into power-safemode, thus draining the batterie.
A reset often cures such symptoms.
HTH
Mark
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:51 PM   #11
Cue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Nord View Post
Cue,

have you tried to do a soft-reset?
Maybe the CPU-refuse to go into power-safemode, thus draining the batterie.
A reset often cures such symptoms.
HTH
Mark
Hi Mark
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried to perform a reset by unscrewing the stylus tip and pressing the small recessed reset button at the bottom. Is this what you're referring to?
I plugged it back in and I'm waiting for it to charge now. I hope this resolves the problem.

Edit: It worked!
Thanks Mark

Last edited by Cue; 03-07-2011 at 10:48 AM.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:30 PM   #12
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
Hey, glad this solved your problem.

PS: remember to check this https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Sony...nd_Reset_Guide

Last edited by Mark Nord; 03-11-2011 at 02:34 PM.
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:21 PM   #13
fafaforza
Zealot
fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Aura ONE
I think that the reader won't charge if you don't have the Reader app up and running. At least that's my experience, leaving the reader plugged in without the app running and finding the battery at 1 bar or completely drained.
fafaforza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:25 PM   #14
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Not true... doesn't matter, I don't even use the reader app, it has absolutely nothing to do with charging or not charging. When you left reader plugged in, did you have the computer running with sleep/hibernate options disabled?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafaforza View Post
I think that the reader won't charge if you don't have the Reader app up and running. At least that's my experience, leaving the reader plugged in without the app running and finding the battery at 1 bar or completely drained.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote