Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-21-2010, 10:59 AM   #1
carchase
Enthusiast
carchase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.carchase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.carchase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Archive Personal Documents?

Hello,

I recently switched from a Sony PRS-505 to a Kindle 2, and for the most part I am very happy. One of the features I really like is the ability to archive books I've bought and have access to them wirelessly later. I've found that having too many books slows down the reader.

Since I've converted all of my old Sony Reader books, I've got quite a few personal documents instead of amazon.com books. I was hoping to get some ideas for archiving my personal documents and then accessing them wirelessly.

I've searched the forums and found a few solutions such as calibre server or a personal website, but I would prefer something cloud-based (i.e. skydrive) so that I don't have to establish a static ip address. I'm open to whatever, but I was just wondering what people have come up with to accomplish this.

I don't think bandwidth usage will be a huge issue, since I really just want to have the books available if needed. I don't see myself actually downloading a bunch daily.

Thanks in advance.
carchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:58 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by carchase View Post
Hello,

I recently switched from a Sony PRS-505 to a Kindle 2, and for the most part I am very happy. One of the features I really like is the ability to archive books I've bought and have access to them wirelessly later. I've found that having too many books slows down the reader.

Since I've converted all of my old Sony Reader books, I've got quite a few personal documents instead of amazon.com books. I was hoping to get some ideas for archiving my personal documents and then accessing them wirelessly.

I've searched the forums and found a few solutions such as calibre server or a personal website, but I would prefer something cloud-based (i.e. skydrive) so that I don't have to establish a static ip address. I'm open to whatever, but I was just wondering what people have come up with to accomplish this.

I don't think bandwidth usage will be a huge issue, since I really just want to have the books available if needed. I don't see myself actually downloading a bunch daily.

Thanks in advance.
You might check out Google Docs. You can access this with the Kindle web browser and download to your Kindle wirelessly. You can find a detailed discussion of this at:
http://kindleworld.blogspot.com/sear.../google%20docs
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2010, 01:10 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
you can put your books on a dropbox account or any other cloud storage you can access via a browser. Create a book mark in the browser and you should be able to d/l the books when ever you want.

You can get a free dropbox account here:
https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTMwMDU2MDk

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 01:19 PM   #4
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I tried this with SugarSync. The problem is when you store a document on their server, the server appends a file extension apparently tied in to your account. When you access the document via the Kindle web browser, it does not recognize the file as a valid file type to download. For example, you upload a book (book.prc) to your account. The storage server adds a file extension (book.prc.392-2--30). When you try to download it to your Kindle, the K browser sees the stuff at the end and gives you the "invalid file type" error message.
I don't know of any workaround yet for this. When I posed a similar question last year, I was given the personal website option (hide your books in a passworded file).

If anyone has a workaround - please post it.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 01:26 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
If anyone has a workaround - please post it.
I guess using something other than sugar sync. There is dropbox as I mentioned and sky drive. Neither munge the file name afaik.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2010, 01:53 PM   #6
carchase
Enthusiast
carchase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.carchase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.carchase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Thank you all for the suggestions. I use Google Docs quite a bit, but I didn't realize the Kindle could access the mobile site. I'm assuming I can share that folder with my wife also so that she can access the books from her Kindle. Sounds like a perfect solution!
carchase is offline   Reply With Quote