Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-20-2010, 09:25 PM   #1
davidhburton
Addict
davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: none
Cool new poll on ebook pricing....need some help

Hi all,

I've received really great responses on the polls I've been running. The first on the factors that influence book buying choices, the second on DRM which is still up at my site. I wanted to get some thoughts on my third poll to help shape it in a way to best collect responses.

My thinking is this.

What are you willing to pay for a newly released ebook (within the first 3 months of release):

0.00 - 1.99
2.00 - 3.99
4.00 - 6.99
6.00 - 7.99
8.00 - 9.99
10.00 - 11.99
12.00 - 13.99
14.00 - 15.99
more than 16.00

Worded as such, do you think this would be a good measure for what people are willing to pay for a newly released ebook?

I'll run this new one in a couple of days.

Thanks!!
David
davidhburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:39 PM   #2
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
I think those are too specific.

I'd word them something like:

Up to 1.99
Up to 3.99
etc.

That's a better way to word a question that's essentially asking the most someone would pay rather than having specific min-max ranges in each category.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2010, 09:55 PM   #3
davidhburton
Addict
davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!davidhburton rocks like Gibraltar!

Thanks!
Old 04-21-2010, 04:30 AM   #4
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I think genre plays an important role. If it is a more conventional genre, I think the price should be lower. For a specific genre for a small group I can imagine the price being higher.

You see the same reflection in the p-book world.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 04:50 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm afraid that such polls are meaningless in a world-wide context, since the "normal" price of books varies so much from country to country. What might be considered outrageously expensive in one country may well be thought of as a bargain in another.

What is it that you intend to use this data for?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2010, 04:54 AM   #6
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
+DRM - up tp $1.99
-DRM - up to $10.00

Last edited by astra; 04-21-2010 at 05:33 AM.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 05:14 AM   #7
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm afraid that such polls are meaningless in a world-wide context, since the "normal" price of books varies so much from country to country. What might be considered outrageously expensive in one country may well be thought of as a bargain in another.
Exactly. I really cannot sympathize with the opinion that more than $10 for an hardback is expensive when I compare what I have to pay for the same book if buying locally. For example I just bough a paperback of Shutter Island in a shop and it cost me $17 and that is a pretty normal price for imported English editions. In bigger cities and bigger shops they can be a bit cheaper.

A normal Swedish paperback cost around 50 SEK ($7).
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 05:55 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
A normal Swedish paperback cost around 50 SEK ($7).
Whereas in the UK, a normal paperback price would be £6.99, which is about $11.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:21 AM   #9
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Whereas in the UK, a normal paperback price would be £6.99, which is about $11.
The $7 was in the cheapest shop. In an ordinary bookshop you have to add a couple of dollar.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:58 AM   #10
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
In the UK, Amazon usually is the cheapest.
Toll The Hounds - Paperback

RRP - £9.00
Amazon - £6.70

I have not been paying attention to book prices for a few years but apparently the prices have shot up quite a lot.
RRP used to be £7.00, you could buy it from Amazon at £5.00-6.00.

£9 for paperback!?!?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:10 PM   #11
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Maybe include a "free" option. Some of us, me anyway, normally bought pbacks from charity-shops and "car boot sales" (garage sales in the US). These cost a few pence. I prefer ebooks to be free: public domain or creative commons. Otherwise, I'll put a parrot on my shoulder and a patch on my eye!
So a free option might be a good idea, though it could distort the poll if you want to know how much people who would pay, would pay (?).
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:48 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:

What is it that you intend to use this data for?
Since the OP hasn't come back to this thread it seems to me an attempt to get traffic to his blog. The poll could have been put here easily.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:58 PM   #13
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
He might just be busy, or at work, etc.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 04:15 PM   #14
davidhburton
Addict

I was very busy at work. Sorry.

I'm asking folks from various locations to participate in the poll and/or give feedback so I can't post it just here. I'm trying to simplify my data collection so bring people to one location works better for me.

I have my own notions about book buying habits and readers perceptions which I believe is quite different than large publishers. I'm running various polls to see if readers share my opinions or those of the large publishers. I eventually want to compile all of this and blog about it.

Edit: If this is the wrong place to ask these questions, please let me know the correct place to post them.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:23 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

As I say, though, David, you will not have meaningful data unless you know what country everyone who votes is from, due to the enormous variation in "normal" book prices across the world.