Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-06-2009, 08:54 AM   #16
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhishStyx View Post
This place needs an ignore list function
It has one.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:55 PM   #17
A Nonny Mouse
Connoisseur
A Nonny Mouse has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.A Nonny Mouse has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.A Nonny Mouse has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony prs505
Quote:
Now truthfully, you're making my troll-sense go off so hard I'm getting a headache. This place needs an ignore list function
Or better still a function where members can vote on their wish to have or not a poster on the forum - IE more than (X) number of votes by members a poster gets banned.
A Nonny Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2009, 05:46 PM   #18
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Nonny Mouse View Post
Or better still a function where members can vote on their wish to have or not a poster on the forum - IE more than (X) number of votes by members a poster gets banned.
If you use the "report post" function the moderators do notice and pay some attention. We discuss problematic cases and take action whenever we reach a consensus, trying to be fair to everyone involved.
To report a post, click on the little blue box with an exclamation mark, just to the right of the karma button, below a user's avatar.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:56 PM   #19
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
Quote:
The fact that I may not wish to read what someone writes does not and should not indicate that I believe they should be banned from the site on the basis of being unpopular.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:50 AM   #20
esecallum
Banned
esecallum began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
You mean Tyranny?
esecallum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2009, 07:58 AM   #21
esecallum
Banned
esecallum began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
"Transflective" LCD screens work in daylight (they are used in LCD watches, the Compaq iPaq Pocket PC, the "JetBook" reader, etc), but they are a lot more expensive than the screens you get in cheap digital picture frames. As you rightly say, such screens have to be backlit or they don't work - as anyone who's had the backlight on a laptop PC fail can testify .
You are correct partially.Reflective LCD screens don't have to be lit by backlight.

I have said this about 6 times.

Bismar seems to lack the ability to read when i repeated it to him 3 times.

By the way I was only talking about the reflective LCD yet people keep on waffling about the backlight like some kind of religious mantra.

Could be some kind of deep pychosis caused by battery drain?
esecallum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:17 AM   #22
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by esecallum View Post
You are correct partially.Reflective LCD screens don't have to be lit by backlight.
Uh no, Harry is entirely correct; it's you who is only partly correct.

Quote:
I have said this about 6 times.

Bismar seems to lack the ability to read when i repeated it to him 3 times.

By the way I was only talking about the reflective LCD yet people keep on waffling about the backlight like some kind of religious mantra.

Could be some kind of deep pychosis caused by battery drain?
If so, then you have it. You did not start this thread talking about reflective screens; LCD photo frames (your original topic) aren't reflective at all. LCD photo frames are backlit and aren't visible without that backlighting. Bismar is right.

(Still considering on the ignore list thing.)
Old 10-09-2009, 09:33 AM   #23
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
If so, then you have it. You did not start this thread talking about reflective screens; LCD photo frames (your original topic) aren't reflective at all. LCD photo frames are backlit and aren't visible without that backlighting. Bismar is right.
An e-book reader with a reflective LCD screen is already available.
http://www.ectaco.com/main.jsp?do=pr...05&refid=29532
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:13 PM   #24
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
An e-book reader with a reflective LCD screen is already available.
http://www.ectaco.com/main.jsp?do=pr...05&refid=29532
I'm afraid that the OP demanded a very cheap way of electronic reading, and this may be more than he is prepared to pay.
I still think that, given his price constraints, he would be best served by looking for a used PDA on EBay.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:45 PM   #25
A Nonny Mouse
Connoisseur
A Nonny Mouse has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.A Nonny Mouse has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.A Nonny Mouse has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony prs505
Quote:
The fact that I may not wish to read what someone writes does not and should not indicate that I believe they should be banned from the site on the basis of being unpopular.
Not even when it becomes the majority opinion ?

Perhaps the solution would be the opportunity to give negative Karma?! -only a suggestion!

Quote:
You mean Tyranny?
No democracy!!!!
A Nonny Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 03:26 PM   #26
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
You mean Tyranny?
No; if members vote about an action to take, that's "democracy."

However, I don't believe anyone wants the forum to vote on members. They're just occasionally wistful about the idea, even though they know it'd be too much hassle overall.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 03:45 PM   #27
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Challenge and Urgent Appeal--Ereaders Required
I wish someone would turn or hack a cheap $20 or $30 5 inch or 4 inch lcd digital photo frame into a ebook reader for text and rtf files.
Making a photo frame read RTF and TXT files would mean major changes in the software; that'd move them well out of the under-$50 range. Right now, they display image files only; they don't have to parse internal text. The software for displaying images is much simpler than the software for opening data files and displaying the contents.

Quote:
I don't want wi-fi, bluetooth, internet access and fancy writing screens,pushing up the price.People who want that can pay extra.
Second-hand Cliés sell for $25-$40 in my area, and they alllow reading ebooks in most formats, and a bunch of other features, which you may not care about, but are sometimes nice to have. They have screens a bit smaller than most photo-display screens.

Quote:
A 4gb flash memory can store 10000 books easily.
TXT books. Not RTF books. (Although 4gb will hold plenty-plenty RTF books.) However, it won't hold nearly that many books if they're converted to TIF or PNG in order to be read on a photo viewer.

Quote:
By the way why is the amount of memory on the present over priced devices so niggardly?
I mean you can easily get a flash memory of 4 gig for
$3. Most devices have 64 megs or 256 megs.What a joke.
Because external space--memory cards--is cheaper and easier to work with, than larger internal space. Also, most of these projects spend years in design, and cheap 4gb memory is VERY VERY NEW. Two years ago, it cost a lot more.

They're designing and adapting ebook readers as fast as they can, but they haven't caught up to storage & battery changes.

Quote:
A lcd displays don't consume much power this could extend the battery life.
Yes, but it still eats battery much faster than e-ink. Even with a "turn off the light" option like many PDAs have.

Quote:
Eink is unfortunately over priced and SLOW.
EInk is priced to what the market can bear. Also, it's priced to match production costs. It's new tech, still in development, and buyers have to pay for that development. Since many companies are selling out of ebook readers as soon as they release them, I'd say they're not overpriced.

EInk is indeed slower than LCD. It's not slower than turning paper pages one at a time, though. And it'll speed up as the technology changes. Many of the problems with slower eInk aren't actually the screen--it's the software, trying to parse bad code in the ebook file. Nobody complains about the speed of reading TXT files.

[quote]Ebook readers like the amazon kindle and sony ereader cost as much as a laptop at present! Rip off pricing.[quote]

New tech. Different features from laptops.

Quote:
ebook readers cost from $300 to $800.
They are a rip off.
Feel free not to buy one.

Quote:
Manufacturers by keeping prices high are shooting themselves in the foot with poor sales.Very stupid people at the top.
"Poor sales?" They can't keep up with demand! They're selling them as fast as they can get them produced. The only incentive to lower prices is to compete with each other; the public has shown they'll pay $300 for an ebook reader, and niche markets will pay $800 for one with the right additional features.

Quote:
You can buy a complex mini netbook for less then a ebook reader now.Only reason I don't use a netbook is due to the poor battery life of only a few hours.
And that's the main reason a lot of us switched to ebook readers. For some people, the screen quality is also important--eInk isn't hard on the eyes the way backlit screens are.

Quote:
I don't want to pay that much on principle.
And I don't want to pay $22,000 for a new car, when a used one for $2000 would be just as good. Oh wait... I didn't pay $22,000 for a new car! But I don't go around screaming that cars are over priced and ripping people off.

[quote]A low power low cost photoframe would be ideal.
I am surprised that no one has done this hack.[quote]

If nobody's done it, it's probably more difficult than you think.
Photo frames are built to display image files, not read data. The software change required would increase the cost a great deal. Adding an interface for flipping through pages, and searching for the book you wanted, would add more software and hardware costs.

And I suspect you have no idea how much battery power it takes to operate these for hours on end. Most photoframes I've seen are designed to be plugged in, not run on batteries.

Quote:
I also appeal to Chinese folk here if you could start producing a simple dedicated paperback sized 4 .5 or 5.00 inch sized screen size thin ebook reader with a lcd screen with optional back light.
Are you under the impression that Chinese people are inherently more interested in designing technology than people from other nations?

Quote:
Should be able to read text,rtf,pdf,html,word.
We have one of those. It's called a "netbook."

Quote:
should run of 2 aa batteries for a month.
Name something with an LCD screen that runs on 2 aa batteries for a month.

Quote:
should be under $50.
Why? Because that's how much you can afford to pay for it?
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 04:25 PM   #28
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
And a "vanquish karma" button to neutralize the karma mafia that has infested parts of this site.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 07:13 PM   #29
PhishStyx
The me that I am

Quote:
Not even when it becomes the majority opinion ?
Not even then. What you're suggesting would be that when 23,118 of us (based on the current # of members as I write this) look at something and disagree with someone so vehemently that we wish not only not to see their writing again but that NOONE should, that person ought to be banned from the forum.

Since the Lounge is the only board here that gets close to enough traffic for that to be a possibility in a small number of threads, your suggestion presents as both rude and illogical. It is so absurd either to make yourself out to be an idiot, or you're simply mocking my "out loud" thought about ignore listing someone.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:02 PM   #30
Patricia
Reader

The moderating team have no plans to introduce negative karma. Nor do we wish to stifle expressions of opinion.
However, we do have a strong preference for disagreements being courteously expressed and, preferably, backed by evidence. Hence our guidelines:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/faq...ing_guidelines
(also available on the blue bar at the bottom of this page.)

Might I suggest that we return to the topic of cheap electronic reading devices?