Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-26-2009, 05:35 PM   #16
TheJohnNewton
Addict
TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
Perhaps the thickness was an ergonomic decision?
Yeah I don't really get the obsession with everything being thin. What's the big deal?
TheJohnNewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 05:46 PM   #17
dki
Connoisseur
dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim X5; RCA 1100; Augen The Book, PRS350x2, Sony T1, Kobo AuraHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
Perhaps the thickness was an ergonomic decision?
It looks to me like it was - is it just me, or does it look like it's a bit thicker on the right side - kind of like my old RCA reader - the battery was in the bulge on the right side, and it was a point where you could get a very good grip on the device. I wonder if you can turn the display 180 degrees, to make that grip point either on the right or on the left side. I actually like the thickness, after many an unpleasant adventure with Cybook Gen3 I am totally for something more solid. Even so, this design (and color, for that matter) is not particularly appealing. 8 years old RCA 1100 kind of looks better than this....

Dorota
dki is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2009, 06:24 PM   #18
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
It has a kind of "utility" look to it. Like if it weren't displaying a book, it might be mistaken for a scale.

Not necessarily a bad thing. Very early 70's. If the price is right I might be interested (especially if it had a basic browser (like the kindle) to work with the wi-fi (need a definition form them as to what "wireless Internet functionality" means.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 06:42 PM   #19
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Looks like a prop from a 1960's scifi show!
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:11 PM   #20
Mr. Dalliard
Zealot
Mr. Dalliard began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Weren't some of you guys crying out for a thicker - and, therefore, more comfortable to hold - reader just before?
Mr. Dalliard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2009, 11:29 PM   #21
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
I like the design of it. There's 2 things I want in a reader design wise, it either has to be chic and very futuristic, much like the demo video of the Txtr. Or a chunky thing with some personality to it - this one wouldn't look out of place in the movie Rollerball with James Caan.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:29 PM   #22
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
The 300mhz processor is faster than the Sony PRS-505 one, which might help in loading large size books/PDF files/pictures,or the indexing of a larger library.
Also the battery is a larger capacity; could be good!
I just hope it has great powersavings like the Sony.
I thought (from the looks of it) that this would be a cheap product (due to it's bulky design), though it actually has something under the hood to show off!
I'm not really sure if a lot of people will be charmed by the design.

You also mention "an entirely original creation of Neolux", but it still uses E-ink display. So it'll still be at least as expensive as the Sony PRS-505 or more!

I guess that the display is about the only expensive thing on the device!

What I really hope is that there will be more sub $200 products arriving to the market! This device could be a sub $80 if it wasn't for the display (and probably the licences for viewing files).

Last edited by ProDigit; 02-27-2009 at 12:08 AM.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:51 AM   #23
-Thomas-
Addict
-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iRex iLiad v2
A faster processor doesn't necessarily lead to a faster experience. The iLiad has a 400 MHz processor and is really slow when it comes to library browsing. Developing a well-suited software is very important at this point, and I hope the developers will do so.

Just thinking: When will first vendors start to ship devices with OpenInkpot pre-installed?
-Thomas- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:34 AM   #24
elena
Connoisseur
elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonescorcio View Post
290 g?!
Cybook is 180 g!
actually it's 174g
lightness is nice!
elena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:08 AM   #25
mazzeltjes
Addict
mazzeltjes doesn't littermazzeltjes doesn't litter

Device: sony 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
Wow that's ugly.
AIN'T IT JUST
mazzeltjes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:45 AM   #26
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Thomas- View Post
A faster processor doesn't necessarily lead to a faster experience. The iLiad has a 400 MHz processor and is really slow when it comes to library browsing. Developing a well-suited software is very important at this point, and I hope the developers will do so.

Just thinking: When will first vendors start to ship devices with OpenInkpot pre-installed?
Could also be due to a larger screen resolution.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote