Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-18-2008, 11:35 AM   #1
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Maybe By June: A Song of Ice and Fire Update

Fans of George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series have been waiting for the next volume, A Dance With Dragons, since A Feast for Crows was published in November 2005.

Martin writes that he doesn't have the book yet but he has the cover images. Martin writes in "Not A Blog" on his Web site that he hopes to deliver the finished book by June.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:30 PM   #2
hix5000
Ebook Newbie
hix5000 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
This is a great series. I only wish George would write a little faster! Series like this where the author gets distracted or hits a mental block make me crazy because I have to re-read the whole series every time the next book comes out 2 years later.
hix5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2008, 05:17 AM   #3
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
That's the reason why I don't read unfinished series.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 05:26 AM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Ahhh, how much I long for this sequel! A Song of Ice and Fire is without doubt one of my favorite top three fantasy sagas (beside LOTR and one I am not so sure yet ).

More info on Wikipedia:

Quote:
A Dance with Dragons is the fifth of seven planned novels in the epic fantasy series A Song of Ice and Fire by American author George R. R. Martin. Despite original predictions of possible completion in late 2006, the book was not finished as of early 2008.[1] His blog features regular updates on his work, and a recent progress update on his website affirms his commitment to finishing the book as soon as he can, aiming for the middle of June 2008.[2] In early 2008, publisher Spectra (a division of Random House) announced that A Dance of Dragons will be released on September 30, 2008.[3]
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 01:45 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
That's the reason why I don't read unfinished series.
Yes, I try to do that too. Although I read "Wizards First Rule" without realizing it was first in a series and that it would be many years later until I read the 11th and final installment.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2008, 01:59 PM   #6
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Yes, I try to do that too. Although I read "Wizards First Rule" without realizing it was first in a series and that it would be many years later until I read the 11th and final installment.

BOb
The same happened to me with Wheel of Time. I read 8 books in a row before I realised that it is unfinished series. That's when I said to myself: never again.

P.S. Btw, did you like this Sword of Truth series by T.G.?
Old 03-19-2008, 02:03 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm short the last two Sword of Truth books. I'll get to them eventually.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 02:08 PM   #8
astra
The Introvert

Two fantasy forums I visit (A Tale of the Malazan Book of the Fallen and A Song of Ice and Fire) are so full of bashing the series, it is unbelievable. One of them (ASOIAF) has a tradition when a Terry bashing topic reaches 20 pages, they open a new topic. I believe there is 26-27 topics already.
I have not read him at all. I am very curious though
Old 03-19-2008, 03:39 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
The same happened to me with Wheel of Time. I read 8 books in a row before I realised that it is unfinished series. That's when I said to myself: never again.

P.S. Btw, did you like this Sword of Truth series by T.G.?
I enjoyed it. Some of the books were better than others. It does get a little dark and violent in some places. Also, there is some preachy drawn out dialog in some places too. But, the stories move along well.

Is Wheel of Time still unfinished? I have heard about it before and have considered reading it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 03:43 PM   #10
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Is Wheel of Time still unfinished? I have heard about it before and have considered reading it. BOb
Not only unfinished, but the writer died. They've got someone in to write the last volume from his notes, so it will be finished eventually, but you might want to wait for the reviews of the last volume!
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 04:40 PM   #11
astra
The Introvert

Brandon Sanderson also a member of Malazan world forum
Old 03-19-2008, 05:05 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Brandon Sanderson who wrote Mistborn which I am reading and enjoying thanks to Tor's free giveaway.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 05:06 PM   #13
astra
The Introvert

Small small world.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:03 PM   #14
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Another indication that A Dance with Dragons will indeed be released on September 30, 2008:

Quote:
Availability: This title will be released on September 30, 2008. Pre-order now! Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.
http://www.amazon.com/Dance-Dragons-...e=UTF8&s=books
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:39 AM   #15
rasbadar
Enthusiast
rasbadar began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-505
Oopsy.
I just checked Amazon.com....

Baaaaad news, but somewhat over the top, methinks:

Product Details

* Hardcover: 1008 pages