Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-27-2009, 04:02 PM   #181
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by freecia View Post
If you're local to the SF bay the San Jose library system also offers a decent selection. Not on par with NYPL but still better than SF or the Califa "Northern California" system.
The SJ Library does offer quite a selection--only problem is that most of their e-books are in PDF format, which I'll put up with for free books. SJ just started adding ePub books to their collection, but last time I checked they only had 16 total ePub books. Hopefully they'll be increasing this shortly.

Now the SF library and the Santa Clara County Library recently started adding ePub books to their collection. SF has over 600 and SCC has over 400 right now. This is on par with NYPL which has 467 ePub books last time I checked. I'm hopeful that more and more libraries will begin truly supporting the ePub format and that these collectionos will continue to grow.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 05:15 PM   #182
omega3
omega3 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 (Int.)
NY Public Library only for New Yorkers

I live in Germany and asked the New York Public Library if it is possible to borrow ebooks from them to read on my Sony reader.

Here is their today's reply:

"Sorry, but non-residents who do not qualify for an NYPL library card will not be able to access our ebooks on any device including Sony E-readers.
As of July 2009 the NYPL is no longer offerring non-resident paid cards. NYPL library cards are only available to person who live, work, attend school or pays property taxes in New York State.

We are sorry for the inconvenience."
omega3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2009, 03:10 PM   #183
EliNoah
Enthusiast
EliNoah began at the beginning.

Device: Sony ereader Pocket Edition
I have a question...my mom and I are both getting the pocket reader. Her library has ebooks and mine doesn't so I was going to use her library card to check out books.

The Library says you have to have the Adobe Digital Editions ID...would we both have to be under the same ID to check out books on her card? Is the ID tied to the library card as well as the ereader?

Or can we both have seperate ID's and still use the library card?

I suppose if we have to have it the other way it will take up 4 devices two computers for downloads and two readers.

Not really understanding this process, but want to do it right. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
EliNoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 02:45 PM   #184
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by EliNoah View Post
I have a question...my mom and I are both getting the pocket reader. Her library has ebooks and mine doesn't so I was going to use her library card to check out books.

The Library says you have to have the Adobe Digital Editions ID...would we both have to be under the same ID to check out books on her card? Is the ID tied to the library card as well as the ereader?

Or can we both have seperate ID's and still use the library card?

I suppose if we have to have it the other way it will take up 4 devices two computers for downloads and two readers.

Not really understanding this process, but want to do it right. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
You and your mom can indeed use the same library account.

The important thing to realize is that the checked out library ebook, is not tied to a specific copy of Digital Editions or a specific reader until it is downloaded.

Should you both want to read the same ebook, you would either have to remove the ADE DRM, or checkout the ebook a second time to be able to download it to another device.

Hope that answers your questions.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:28 AM   #185
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505/950x2, PRS-600 silver, Galaxy III purple, T2 black
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
heatherc--

I've read several posts here regarding people who have tried to load both secure ePub and secure PDF files onto their reader. It seems that this is a "no go". For some reason, you can only have one or the other on your reader at a time. Seems strange to me, but like I said several people are reporting the same results.

Hope this helps--
dordale

Ahhhaa!!!!! I was about to throw my laptop across the room lol!!!! I was like, what am I doing wrong, why don't they want me to read???, lol. I borrowed 4 books, the first one I downloaded was an EPUB and it worked perfectly. The other 3 were PDF's, and when I tried to download them, I got "protected page" and couldn't read them on the reader, but could on ADE. I never even considered something like that happening, thanks!!

Last edited by emonti8384; 10-27-2009 at 10:33 AM.
emonti8384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2009, 11:22 PM   #186
bookfanmd
Addict
bookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony 300/505/T1 Nook STWG Kobo Glo Kobo Aura HD KDX iPad1 K3 KT PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by emonti8384 View Post
Ahhhaa!!!!! I was about to throw my laptop across the room lol!!!! I was like, what am I doing wrong, why don't they want me to read???, lol. I borrowed 4 books, the first one I downloaded was an EPUB and it worked perfectly. The other 3 were PDF's, and when I tried to download them, I got "protected page" and couldn't read them on the reader, but could on ADE. I never even considered something like that happening, thanks!!
I just got off a chat with Sony support. It is a known issue and here is their response:

http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/d...nalId=C1008686

A Protected Page! error occurs on the Reader when opening a borrowed book that is in the ePub or PDF format.

Solution

This may happen when borrowed Adobe DRM-protected ePub and PDF eBooks exist on the Reader at the same time. Follow this procedure to correct this issue:

Delete all borrowed books from the Reader.

Verify that all borrowed books are in the same format (either ePub or PDF) before transferring them back to the Reader.

I did request a firmware update to correct the problem but won't hold my breath.
bookfanmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:50 AM   #187
TrolleyGirl
TrolleyGirl began at the beginning.

Device: prs505
Ebook Library Survey

Very exciting for me!!! Yesterday, on our public library website there was a survey about the possibility of lending ebooks. You bet I took that survey, I'm thinking about stacking the ballet box and answering many more times. Right now in Indiana, you can get a public access card to all libraries in Indiana for $30 a year. Other locations across the state have Ebook lendings, but our local counties do not have them yet.
TrolleyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:44 PM   #188
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
You and your mom can indeed use the same library account.
Actually, NO! At least not unless they both have library cards at the library in question, according to the terms of use for pretty much every online library I've checked (i.e., several). E-library privileges are available only for library card holders, those people eligible for library privileges because they pay taxes to support the local library.

This "borrowing" or "sharing" of e-library accounts is the equivalent of piracy, and should not be recommended or condoned on this site. It also reduces the availability of ebooks for those who are legitimately entitled to borrow e-books from their local library.

For shame, Leep.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:09 PM   #189
JTravers
Groupie
JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air 2
Looks like one can get a library card to the Westchester Public Libraries in NY for a $75 fee. They have a decent selection. You do have to apply for the card in person, though.

http://www.whiteplainslibrary.org/borrowing/cards.shtml
JTravers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 06:01 PM   #190
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
A late response to the Hawai'i out of state card question... I think you have to be present in person to get that card ($25 for 5 years). I believe it's meant for tourists who come and stay for a while, or those who live for a few months here and the rest of the year on the mainland, but are legal residents of the state on the mainland. Our collection isn't that great. I feel I've almost exhausted my options for fiction at least. They keep buying new "how to" and "Dummy's guide to" books for the ebook collection, and that's frustrating me, as those (to me) are the types of books you want to have in person to flip through as you desire. I wish they'd up their epub collection. The audio collection is decent as far as newer fiction books. Too bad I don't want the audio collection!

The libraries here are all having regular furloughs as well, so I'm not sure if the money is there to collect more ebooks.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:58 PM   #191
tbov
tbov began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-600
How do you go about getting the NYPL card if you are out of state and do not own property? That would be great!
tbov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 02:50 PM   #192
grannyonwheels
grannyonwheels began at the beginning.

Device: ereader 600
how do i delete this?

Last edited by grannyonwheels; 04-13-2010 at 04:03 PM. Reason: didn't refer back to original
grannyonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 03:25 PM   #193
grannyonwheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Curiously, the Washington, DC library did not charge me anything although I am clearly a nonresident and indicated that on my online application. I received a library card number in an email immediately and have just downloaded Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut to my Reader. I love libraries!
do you have a link? i just tried the new york library and they were very firm that they would not give a card under any circumstances to a non-resident.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:23 PM   #194
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
NYPL used to allow non-resident cards but no longer.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 06:46 AM   #195
grannyonwheels

thanks, but do you have a link to the washington DC library, assuming they still allow nonresidents?