Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Windows Devices

Notices

Old 12-25-2014, 03:23 AM   #61
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Same as mine. You have to scroll sideway when at the store to find the collection.
When I was setting my phone up, it did 3 OS updates. The first one was a pre-8.0 update, then an 8.0 update, and finally an 8.1 update.

Thanks, I see it now. Lots of sideways stuff going on.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 07:53 AM   #62
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
When I was setting my phone up, it did 3 OS updates. The first one was a pre-8.0 update, then an 8.0 update, and finally an 8.1 update.

Thanks, I see it now. Lots of sideways stuff going on.
Yeah I discovered it by accident. I am so use to doing it on the Fire Phone.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2014, 06:36 AM   #63
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So I am learning that apps on WP8.1 pretty much bare bones.

Kindle app does not support Personal Documents. It's useless to sideload books on.

Freda+ seems to be the best Epub read it's 99 cents but you can log into Dropbox or OneDrive. Windows Store does accept PayPal.

It seems the Windows system is all cloud base. Getting files locally is really tough.

Cortana Rocks!!! Although she can't say my name right she is a nice PA and alot smarter than my Fire Phone. Sorry Fiona. She tells me the weather, the news, sets reminders, makes notes. Phone is well worth $20 just for PIM abilities.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:24 AM   #64
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Kindle app does not support Personal Documents. It's useless to sideload books on.
Yep; the Audible app doesn't have as many features as the Android version.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:45 AM   #65
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Yep; the Audible app doesn't have as many features as the Android version.
WP8.1 has a very long way to go before it can even compete with Android or iOS

Still Cortana is amusing me. I asked if she likes cat. She tells me she hasn't formed a opinion on that yet. I told her to wake me at 3:30pm will ya and she says okay Alarm is set for 3:30pm. Her note taking though needs some work. She never lets me finish. Oh and I got her to say my name right.
Advert
Old 12-26-2014, 12:43 PM   #66
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I unwrapped mine yesterday, but haven't opened it up yet.

I'm pretty much a dunce with new (to me) electronic devices. Is there a link to a list IN ORDER of the things that I should do to get it up and running?

Thanks!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 12:53 PM   #67
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post

I'm pretty much a dunce with new (to me) electronic devices. Is there a link to a list IN ORDER of the things that I should do to get it up and running?

Thanks!
The rest of us forgot to do this; so if you don't mind, will you see if the 520 blends

Old 12-26-2014, 12:59 PM   #68
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
I spent a lot of time playing with my new Windows Phone yesterday. It's been really fun to learn about the device and OS! No glitches so far. I've customized my apps and settings, and the tiles are now optimally configured to my preferences.

I like that you can swipe down from the very top of the home screen to quickly access wi-fi, bluetooth, and airplane mode. MixRadio is a nice alternative to Amazon Prime music. I configured individual tiles for the two mixes I'll use most often.

This is the best $20 I've spent all year!

Quote:
Cortana Rocks!!!
I haven't even tried Cortana yet. That's on my to-do list today.

Last edited by DreamWriter; 12-26-2014 at 02:31 PM.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 02:38 PM   #69
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
I've been testing both the built-in Here Drive+ and CoPilot navigation on "Lummy". Both seem usable, but not quite perfect. Here Drive+ seems easier to use, but Copilot offers more customization. Here has more up to date maps, I've found 2 mistakes on local streets in Copilot already. I might buy the Premium Copilot anyway, just because it's a cool app. I think it's awesome that the phone GPS turns on and off by itself as needed by the apps, instead of staying on all the time draining the battery as it does in Android.

I was able to easily move books and music to the SD card via USB.

I have 3 readers loaded at the moment, ePub Reader, Book Visor and Freda, I don't expect to use Lummy for reading very much, so far it seems I could live with any of the three.

IE seems too eager to highlight when I only want to swipe, so I'm trying Surfy and UC Browser. UC seems more suited to the small screen. Again, I don't expect to be doing extensive web surfing on the phone, so far UC seems easier to use.

One Note and One Drive may prove very useful, since they are available on Android too, I can keep a to-do list synced up on all the various devices I use.

I'm really looking forward to playing with the camera, just because of the cool camera apps available.
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 03:17 PM   #70
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post

Thanks!
It was pretty easy to setup.

This is what I remember-
Put in the SIM card, even if you're not going to use it as a phone.
If not using the it as a phone, Go into settings, system, and turn on airplane mode, then turn wi-fi (only) back on. Setup a wi-fi connection.

Then let it update the OS - settings, system, phone update. After the first update for 8.0x, go back and let it do the 8.1 update. Someone said there were 3 updates, but I only remember 2. Just keep going until it says your phone is up to date.

When prompted to, sign in or setup a Windows Live account.

Have fun exploring!
http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/ho...-windows-phone
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 03:27 PM   #71
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
I spent a lot of time playing with my new Windows Phone yesterday. It's been really fun to learn about the device and OS! No glitches so far. I've customized my apps and settings, and the tiles are now optimally configured to my preferences.

I like that you can swipe down from the very top of the home screen to quickly access wi-fi, bluetooth, and airplane mode. MixRadio is a nice alternative to Amazon Prime music. I configured individual tiles for the two mixes I'll use most often.

This is the best $20 I've spent all year!

I haven't even tried Cortana yet. That's on my to-do list today.
Oh you must try Cortana. She's awesome! Makes the fire phone lady seemed not so smart. The top of the screen swipe is like that on Android phones too. It was just introduced to WP8 with the last update.
Old 12-26-2014, 03:34 PM   #72
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alohamora View Post
I've been testing both the built-in Here Drive+ and CoPilot navigation on "Lummy". Both seem usable, but not quite perfect. Here Drive+ seems easier to use, but Copilot offers more customization. Here has more up to date maps, I've found 2 mistakes on local streets in Copilot already. I might buy the Premium Copilot anyway, just because it's a cool app. I think it's awesome that the phone GPS turns on and off by itself as needed by the apps, instead of staying on all the time draining the battery as it does in Android.

I was able to easily move books and music to the SD card via USB.

I have 3 readers loaded at the moment, ePub Reader, Book Visor and Freda, I don't expect to use Lummy for reading very much, so far it seems I could live with any of the three.

IE seems too eager to highlight when I only want to swipe, so I'm trying Surfy and UC Browser. UC seems more suited to the small screen. Again, I don't expect to be doing extensive web surfing on the phone, so far UC seems easier to use.

One Note and One Drive may prove very useful, since they are available on Android too, I can keep a to-do list synced up on all the various devices I use.

I'm really looking forward to playing with the camera, just because of the cool camera apps available.
I use Evernote for notes. One Note is okay. The camera is so-so but I am use to my Fire Phone camera which is 20MP. I agree on IE likes to highlight too much.

I've got Spotifiy, Rhapsody and Slacker installed. All work fine. There is also a TapaTalk app that works okay too. I have not played with maps yet.
Old 12-26-2014, 04:47 PM   #73
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
It was pretty easy to setup.

This is what I remember-
If not using the it as a phone, Go into settings, system, and turn on airplane mode, then turn wi-fi (only) back on. Setup a wi-fi connection.

Then let it update the OS - settings, system, phone update. After the first update for 8.0x, go back and let it do the 8.1 update. Someone said there were 3 updates, but I only remember 2. Just keep going until it says your phone is up to date.

When prompted to, sign in or setup a Windows Live account.

Have fun exploring!
http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/ho...-windows-phone
Thanks!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 04:51 PM   #74
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:

Freda+ seems to be the best Epub read it's 99 cents but you can log into Dropbox or OneDrive. Windows Store does accept PayPal.

It seems the Windows system is all cloud base. Getting files locally is really tough.

Cortana Rocks!!! Although she can't say my name right she is a nice PA and alot smarter than my Fire Phone. Sorry Fiona. She tells me the weather, the news, sets reminders, makes notes. Phone is well worth $20 just for PIM abilities.
There is a long list under Windows phone in our wiki. You can add comments if you like. Freida has a free one and the + is .99. Freida also has a Chinese version.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 06:36 PM   #75
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Oh you must try Cortana. She's awesome!
I did play with Cortana earlier today. Worked great! Here's a link with info on her capabilities: Meet Cortana for Windows Phone.

Quote:

Just curious, is there a reason I should insert the SIM card if the device won't be used as a phone?

I didn't install the SIM card, and it works fine without it. I switched Airplane Mode on before turning on wi-fi. It doesn't nag me about lack of a SIM card that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
There is a long list under Windows phone in our wiki. You can add comments if you like. Freida has a free one and the + is .99. Freida also has a Chinese version.
Thanks for that link!
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote