Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-21-2008, 01:06 AM   #1
deedward9
Enthusiast
deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deedward9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2, Kobo Clara, Nook Glowlight Plus, Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Question regarding online backup service

He all,

Just watned to ask and see if anyone had used an online backup service. I have been looking at getting an external hard drive to do backups of my iPhoto library, which is now approaching 16gb, as well as my created movies and such. While browsing around, I found some information on an online backup service, Mozy that seems very fair, and affordable.

However, I've never tried this, and I of course wonder about the future accessiblity of my data, especially with the economic downturn and such.

I was wondering has anyone one of these services, and if so, how satisfied have you been.

Thanks,
Devin
deedward9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 06:52 AM   #2
xianfox
Ebook Addict
xianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it is

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I use both Second Copy to create a local backup of files to an external hard drive, and Carbonite to create an offsite backup. I've been very happy with both. Both have saved me from disaster and stupidity.

For online services, I'd recommend that you select a service that encrypts your data before it is sent up to their server. This way if they're hacked, you data is still encrypted, and if a court issues a subpoena for your information, all they get is an encrypted file.
xianfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2008, 11:22 AM   #3
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I use a local NAS (Networked Attached Storage) box to backup plus Carbonite. Carbonite has been excellent. Count this as a second vote for Carbonite.

If you have a desktop and a laptop computer (which I do have), you can also use a syncing service such as BeInSync (I've been using it for a couple of years now) to "backup" from the desktop to the laptop as well.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 02:55 PM   #4
ArtfulDodger
ArtfulDodger began at the beginning.

Device: Blackberry
My Online Backup Experience

I've used two different services, with varying degrees of success. I'm sticking with the second one, ElephantDrive.

I started with Mozy - it was pretty good. Easy to set up, cheap, and simple. Problem was that I didn't realize that if I deleted something locally, it would get deleted from my account. Basically, Mozy is good for backup but not for anything else.

ElephantDrive basically does the same thing Mozy does for backup, except that it allows multiple devices and doesn't ever blow anything away unless you tell it to. It was a little more expensive for the home product, but actually way cheaper for the business level account. That's my reco.

One big caveat - I didn't try either of these on a Mac. Not sure what they'll tell you.

Here are the links:
http://www.elephantdrive.com
http://www.mozy.com

Artful D
ArtfulDodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:47 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
You might want to look at using JungleDisk. It requires an Amazon S3 account. They charge 10 cents per GB per month. JungleDisk will encrypt the data before sending it to S3 so your data is secure if there is some type of loss. They also have redundent data centers.

I also have heard good thing about Mozy... but it doesn't have the same type of control that JungleDisk/S3 gives you.

Good luck to ya...

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2008, 02:39 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by xianfox View Post
For online services, I'd recommend that you select a service that encrypts your data before it is sent up to their server. This way if they're hacked, you data is still encrypted, and if a court issues a subpoena for your information, all they get is an encrypted file.
Why on Earth would you be worried about a "court issuing a subpoena for your data" unless you were engaged in criminal activities? I assume that we're all honest people here!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 03:32 AM   #7
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why on Earth would you be worried about a "court issuing a subpoena for your data" unless you were engaged in criminal activities? I assume that we're all honest people here!
Under the Terrorism Act (2000) in the UK:

"A person commits an offence if—
(a) he collects or makes a record of information of a kind likely to be useful to a person committing or preparing an act of terrorism, or
(b) he possesses a document or record containing information of that kind."

Magazine articles, even some novels, could fall foul of a broad interpretation of this law.

Luckily:
"It is a defence for a person charged with an offence under this section to prove that he had a reasonable excuse for his action or possession."

I.e. you're guilty unless you can prove your innocence.

If our government are passing laws like this now; imagine what they could be criminalising in the future. I'm surprised we're even allowed personal storage devices; surely all data should be held in an unencrypted form on a government database where they can keep an eye on all of us.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 05:57 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

But do you really think that encrypting your data is going to make you look less "guilty"? Anyone in a civilised country has (IMHO) an obligation to cooperate fully with duty constituted authorities, not try to "hide" things from them.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:04 AM   #9
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
It is impossible to know what all the data you have is and since having some data files can lead to criminal prosecution or confiscation of you computer in the case were you were innocent (you did not know about the data) you do not want the police to see what data you have at least not easily behind your back by subpoena to a backup company..
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 06:05 AM   #10
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
But do you really think that encrypting your data is going to make you look less "guilty"? Anyone in a civilised country has (IMHO) an obligation to cooperate fully with duty constituted authorities, not try to "hide" things from them.
Begs a lot of questions though - what do we mean by 'civilised country'? Do we think we live in one? Can 'duly constituted authorities' be appointed by a government with a minority of the democratic vote? What is the basis for their mandate?

Rather than plough through all that (interesting though the issues are); I take the view it's best not to trust them at all, unless you absolutely have to as a last resort.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 06:06 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

We must agree to differ. I certainly don't believe that obstructing the police is an appropriate way for anyone to act.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:08 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Rather than plough through all that (interesting though the issues are); I take the view it's best not to trust them at all, unless you absolutely have to as a last resort.
I'm afraid that I find that a deeply disturbing viewpoint. Speaking as a person who has a number of family members in the police force, I'm very sad to hear that you feel that way about our police.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:49 AM   #13
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I have used several web based services over the years and never been happy with any of them. (Note: the well recommended ones above were not ones that I used.) I favor removable storage such as an external hard disk or data DVDs.

For the business every month I create data DVDs for one or more clients each and store them in a safe deposit box at the bank. As a general rule I create a full backup to an external hard disk each night. This has worked very well for me.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 12:07 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

For my important stuff, I use an external USB disk as my primary backup, then dump it to DVDs every week or so as a secondary backup. I keep these DVDs at work rather than at home.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:19 PM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Harry,

This is exactally the rationalization that the Nazi's and other facist used to violate the citizens privacy.

"If you have nothing to hide, why do you need privacy."

I'm not sure about the UK, but the US Consitution gaurantees the right to privacy... which means the government isn't allowed to tap my phones or monitor my internet traffic or put a GPS tracker in my car. They only way they are allowed to do this is with a court order... which means they have to convice a judge that there is reasonable evidence to issue that court order.

This is why so many illegal searches get cases thrown out of court.

But, the patriot act is scarry, and there is no need for a court order, etc. This is scarry. There was recently a decision by a Circuit court that a person was not required to reveal the password to the customs officer because it would invade his privacy. I am very glad this president was set.

Please, don't let the "...if you have nothing to hide." argument work.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote