Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-13-2013, 11:30 AM   #1
vandafc
Connoisseur
vandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kindle 3
Pocket Comes to Kobo

Hi,

As readed on the post published on the Pocket Blog, we could expect a Pocket integration ... today

http://getpocket.com/blog/2013/08/po...-kobo-devices/

"Pocket will be available on Kobo e-readers starting Sept. 13 as part of Kobo’s enhanced Reading Life platform, in the Articles from Pocket section on the Kobo 6” Aura and on all previous e-readers with their over-the-air software update."

Could you tell me when you get the update on your device? Could not wait !!

OK now back to business: refresh ... refresh ... refresh ... refresh ... refresh ...

Fred
vandafc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:47 AM   #2
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky
buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandafc View Post
Hi,

As readed on the post published on the Pocket Blog, we could expect a Pocket integration ... today

http://getpocket.com/blog/2013/08/po...-kobo-devices/

"Pocket will be available on Kobo e-readers starting Sept. 13 as part of Kobo’s enhanced Reading Life platform, in the Articles from Pocket section on the Kobo 6” Aura and on all previous e-readers with their over-the-air software update."

Could you tell me when you get the update on your device? Could not wait !!

OK now back to business: refresh ... refresh ... refresh ... refresh ... refresh ...

Fred
Well they're probably referring directly to the release of the Kobo Aura, but those of us on Aura HDs and Glos will also see a firmware update that brings us to (mostly) parity with the Aura. Kobo tends to do staggered rollouts of new firmwares based on...batch numbers, perhaps? I'm not sure if we've ever quite narrowed down the method to the madness. I know that my Glo tends to be on the leading edge of the new firmware releases, so I'll be checking it later today as I'm quite excited for the Pocket integration.

It may be up to a week or so until everybody has the new firmware. I'm hoping with the devices now all running the same F/W that we'll see quicker rollouts.
buffaloseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2013, 12:27 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloseven View Post
It may be up to a week or so until everybody has the new firmware.
The rollouts have been much more staggered than a week. If it follows past pattern it'll be closer to a month before everyone has it.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:53 PM   #4
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky
buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
The rollouts have been much more staggered than a week. If it follows past pattern it'll be closer to a month before everyone has it.
Really? That long? I guess I never noticed since I seem to be in the first few days. I'm really curious how the unification of the F/W will affect all this.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:44 PM   #5
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Today is the first day of pocket. Has anyone had an update yet? Probably not because its now almost 5pm Toronto time and no updates seem to be forthcoming. The assertion that it may be slow and staggered may have some strong merit. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2013, 06:26 PM   #6
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky

For what it's worth (not much?), the @KoboHelp Twitter account has been telling people that the Pocket update is coming "very soon." I wouldn't be surprised if it was early this week, but this is also the first time that there's been an actual date stated for a release by someone they've partnered with. Like I mentioned before, I assume they were referring to the release of the Aura w/other devices to follow.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:59 PM   #7
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
"Always in Sync: Your list stays up to date, and new items appear automatically on the device when they’re saved."

I wonder how they are going to pull this off?

Is there a feature of my Glo that I didn't know about?
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:00 AM   #8
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
"Always in Sync: Your list stays up to date, and new items appear automatically on the device when they’re saved."

I wonder how they are going to pull this off?

Is there a feature of my Glo that I didn't know about?
aren't they referring to a standard sync? Anyhow, here in the UK I've just synced and there is no update for my Mini (which hasn't received the 2.8.1 either).
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:08 AM   #9
webguy
webguy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
aren't they referring to a standard sync? Anyhow, here in the UK I've just synced and there is no update for my Mini (which hasn't received the 2.8.1 either).
Same here in NL - my Kobo Mini is on 2.6.1. It's pretty bad that they communicate a date, but then proceed to ignore it. I realize software is flexible, but don't promise and then fail to deliver
webguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:30 AM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by webguy View Post
Same here in NL - my Kobo Mini is on 2.6.1. It's pretty bad that they communicate a date, but then proceed to ignore it. I realize software is flexible, but don't promise and then fail to deliver
I'm not sure that kobo provided the date, they tend not too.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:28 AM   #11
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by webguy View Post
That was not a date that came from Kobo (it was in a Pocket release), so I don't think it's fair to blame them. It's also ambiguous enough that it could be read as available on the new Aura on that date and other devices later. My guess is that Pocket came up with that date themselves.
As Peter said, Kobo has NEVER given release dates for firmware.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 02:52 PM   #12
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
That was not a date that came from Kobo (it was in a Pocket release), so I don't think it's fair to blame them. It's also ambiguous enough that it could be read as available on the new Aura on that date and other devices later. My guess is that Pocket came up with that date themselves.
As Peter said, Kobo has NEVER given release dates for firmware.
I agree with you on the ambiguity. I was one of those who jumped around because of the short time before the next release and in retrospect I shouldn't have voiced that so loudly in the forum.
It makes sense to see the 13th as the start of the shipping and not a firmware release.

The good thing is still that the Aura won't be the only device with Pocket integration
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:53 PM   #13
thoreau
Enthusiast
thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: KOA
Really hope that early next week means something like noon eastern. This is THE type of feature that nearly turned me into a kindleholic. Just seems so basic to be able to push news articles to an ereader (like the "send to kindle"), and not have to plug it into a computer to have it show up.

Any company in this day and age who thinks they can develop a mobile device that is dependent upon syncing via USB is headed down the wrong path entirely.
thoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:41 AM   #14
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoreau View Post
Really hope that early next week means something like noon eastern. This is THE type of feature that nearly turned me into a kindleholic. Just seems so basic to be able to push news articles to an ereader (like the "send to kindle"), and not have to plug it into a computer to have it show up.

Any company in this day and age who thinks they can develop a mobile device that is dependent upon syncing via USB is headed down the wrong path entirely.
So far I'm using the Calibre server capability to download instapaper articles through WIFI, but I'm looking forward to something more "integrated".
It seems like a beta version was still tested few days ago, maybe they're ironing out the last glitches
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:18 PM   #15
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I'm not sure that kobo provided the date, they tend not too.
People in Canada may notice that retailers Best Buy and Future Shop list the Aura as being scheduled for delivery to their warehouses on the 19th. Still not a Kobo statement.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote