Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-02-2012, 08:01 AM   #16
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
My boyfriend has a Kobo Touch and he loves it; I had some issues with it though.

- Highlighting and dictionary features are much more fiddly to use
- You can't use the dictionary on side-loaded books
- Adding back a book you've deleted involves going back to the computer and synccing

I just got a Kindle Touch and am very happy with it. Easy to use, does everything I need, can be operated independently of the computer. Very nice machine!
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:16 PM   #17
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
- Highlighting and dictionary features are much more fiddly to use
Can't completely disagree with this, but the new firmware has made dictionary use better

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
- You can't use the dictionary on side-loaded books
Not sure how long ago you last used a Kobo, but the dictionary has been available for side-load e-pubs for quite a while now.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2012, 08:03 PM   #18
MissKittiness
Achievement Unlocked!
MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I don't highlight as it is on my iPad app, and I got by fine without a built-in dictionary on my paper books, so added in features like that aren't very important to me.
MissKittiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:52 PM   #19
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKittiness View Post
I don't highlight as it is on my iPad app, and I got by fine without a built-in dictionary on my paper books, so added in features like that aren't very important to me.
Not at first but you will find them useful when you have them on the device. I absolutely abhor the Kobo. You get what you pay for. If you want epub and like having the cover images, go with the Sony. It's a much better device.

If the Kindle is in your price range or even slightly more than the Kobo but less than the Sony, go with it. It doesn't have the covers ore epub but it's vastly superior to the Kobo.

The Kobo is a junk machine acceptable to many who don't know any different or have never had to deal with their virtually non-existant customer service.

Customer service is another big issue to consider. Amazon has better customer service than the others do.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:43 PM   #20
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
My advice is, check the online stores or the titles you like or want. The ability to find nice ebooks and at good prices is extremely important, in my opinion. The ereader is just a tool. Granted, you want a reliable hardware , but check prices and titles.

I personally believe Amazon has the best online store in USA. It's fantastic service and competitive price on books make the Kindle more appealing to me.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2012, 02:43 AM   #21
MissKittiness
Achievement Unlocked!
MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. I spent a few hours on each device yesterday in the store, and on the Sony since you all kept recommending that as well. Ive also read several tech sites that compare the readers with each other, and looking through the stores (because even though I can and will liberate and reformat books, it's still that little bit quicker) I've decided to get a Kobo Touch - the other two devices, IMO, are vastly inferior in every aspect that matters to me.

Last edited by MissKittiness; 08-05-2012 at 02:45 AM.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:25 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Good luck with your Kobo. I think you're making a mistake, personally, but it's your choice to make, obviously .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:36 AM   #23
techiemonkey
Tech Geek Forever
techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch hacked
By the way what features did you find on the kobo touch that you couldn't find on the kindle touch or the sony prs t1. The rooted kindle touch has epub support,book covers on homescreen support,alternate fonts,best pdf reading on a 6 inch device,capability to play black and white video and much more.
techiemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:41 AM   #24
MissKittiness
Achievement Unlocked!

Well, I think that if you have to root a device for it to do what you want, then it's not th device for you. I didn't find any features on it that the others didn't have - it just does everything better.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:47 AM   #25
techiemonkey
Tech Geek Forever
techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch hacked
i know but this is the same for all devices:to make it really better you have to rootit.anyway rooting is really easy on the kindle touch.just a matter of putting a file,rebooting,tapping some options,done.it is that easy
techiemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:51 AM   #26
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Best of luck with the Kobo Touch. Did you try the demo version at the store, or did you try one that someone's personally owned one? IMO, two different animals.

I'm a terrible cheapskate, yet so far the Sony T1 has paid for itself by being problem-free since day 1.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:06 AM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Well, I think that if you have to root a device for it to do what you want, then it's not th device for you. I didn't find any features on it that the others didn't have - it just does everything better.
Have you tried the Kobo desktop app? It seems to attract a great deal of adverse comments.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:17 AM   #28
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
good choice with kobo, i personally like the kobo system, never had any issues

if you do have any issues, pop into the kobo forums, lots of knowledgable people in there
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:29 AM   #29
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Thanks for all the advice, everyone. I spent a few hours on each device yesterday in the store, and on the Sony since you all kept recommending that as well. Ive also read several tech sites that compare the readers with each other, and looking through the stores (because even though I can and will liberate and reformat books, it's still that little bit quicker) I've decided to get a Kobo Touch - the other two devices, IMO, are vastly inferior in every aspect that matters to me.

Sony & Kindle inferior to the Kobo? Seriously??? Wow because of reading life I suppose in your mind. You mentioned that was important to you earlier. It's useless drivel to me but whatever.

Whatever turns your crank but I too believe you're making a mistake.

Oh and rooting a device does not necessarily make it better. That's personal opinion not a fact. I love my Sony T1 just the way it is. If I wanted a tablet or other such things, I'd buy a tablet not cheap out and modify something else to be a tablet.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:58 AM   #30
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Certain device owners fervently support their device on this thread and it's not surprising to me that you would get critical comments for not picking their choice of "best".
As long as the one you picked has the features YOU prefer, at the price YOU want to pay, it's the best one for you... and it's your money to spend. You obviously spent some time researching which device had the features important to you. And if you hadn't, so what? It's your choice to make.
I personally prefer my Sony but my daughter loves her Kobo and she's had zero problems with it in the past 18 months. She has not rooted it or done any other "fiddling" with it. That may be one of the reasons it's worked so well.

Last edited by Cdesja5; 08-05-2012 at 11:04 AM.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote