Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-30-2011, 07:01 AM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Pushin' the Cloud

Just got this in my email from my friend Amazon.

Dear Amazon.com Customer,

With Kindle Fire, you can enjoy your music wherever you are. Start adding music to your Cloud Drive now so you can play or download it on your Kindle Fire when it arrives. You can add music by saving your Amazon MP3 purchases to Cloud Drive, plus you can upload even more music from your computer by visiting www.amazon.com/cloudplayer. Right now, get unlimited storage for music + 20 GB of Cloud Drive storage for only $20/year. Once your music is saved in Cloud Drive, you can play or download it on your Kindle Fire, Android device, PC, or Mac with Cloud Player.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 04:01 PM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Just got this in my email from my friend Amazon.

Dear Amazon.com Customer,

With Kindle Fire, you can enjoy your music wherever you are. Start adding music to your Cloud Drive now so you can play or download it on your Kindle Fire when it arrives. You can add music by saving your Amazon MP3 purchases to Cloud Drive, plus you can upload even more music from your computer by visiting www.amazon.com/cloudplayer. Right now, get unlimited storage for music + 20 GB of Cloud Drive storage for only $20/year. Once your music is saved in Cloud Drive, you can play or download it on your Kindle Fire, Android device, PC, or Mac with Cloud Player.

I got my year for free in July's promo. After using it I will pay $20 next year to renew. I do like their music cloud. They need a better uploader though.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2011, 06:12 PM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I got my year for free in July's promo. After using it I will pay $20 next year to renew. I do like their music cloud. They need a better uploader though.
I have the free 20GB deal also, but it's going unused. I might put some videos on it; but music is extremely unlikely. For me, a tablet is too large to be used as an MP3 player.

When it's time to renew, I won't do so.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 01:43 PM   #4
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
I too will renew as long as it is reasonably priced, I don't plan on using my music on the fire but I like having it backed up on the cloud.

Nyn
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 11:50 AM   #5
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPadPro, Galaxy Note 5, 8 (tab) & Galaxy Tab S3
20 dollars a year is really reasonable. I'd like to sub to Dropbox and get more storage but their prices are outrageous. 50gb at 10 a month is the cheapest plan they have. SugarSync is a little better at 30GB for 5 dollars a month.. Amazon's is 20Gb for roughly 1.67 cents a month at 20 dollars a year. It sure beats out iCloud at 10GB for the same 20 dollars a year, though I suspect iCloud is going to be much easier to use with iDevices.

Amazon really needs full integration so their cloud service is easy to use. I'd like to see a set up like Dropbox for Amazon's cloud services. I've been using Adrive (owned by AOL) for at least 3 years and its a free 50GB of cloud storage. That service actually saved me after I misplaced a 10 year old file I needed and I remembered I probably had saved it on Adrive lol. It was there so I do like the cloud, but they need better pricing.
Synergi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2011, 12:16 PM   #6
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for that comment/comparison Synergi!!
Old 11-05-2011, 01:09 PM   #7
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
I don't plan on using the Cloud. I'll sideload my music to my Fire and watch Prime movies (free) by WiFi. I will download my eBooks by WiFi.

Most places I visit do not have a free, unlocked WiFi. Thus, everything I use outside my house must be on my Fire's drive.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 05:06 PM   #8
beckywc
Addict
beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini w/Retina, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, & Asus Transformer
I'm thinking about getting this to use with the Fire, if it works. Does anyone know what type of connection this is? I know the fire will not connect peer to peer or ad hoc, but I'm hoping the fire will communicate wirelessly with this. What do you think?

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Satell...=2TNBSF0DC0L7E
beckywc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 05:17 PM   #9
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckywc View Post
I'm thinking about getting this to use with the Fire, if it works. Does anyone know what type of connection this is? I know the fire will not connect peer to peer or ad hoc, but I'm hoping the fire will communicate wirelessly with this. What do you think?

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Satell...=2TNBSF0DC0L7E
I'd be very doubtful. What would be required would be the ability to connect/play/access network drives from the fire itself. Sort of like the ability to be a drive host. I've not seen any indications that it is capable of doing that.

I do expect that it will show up as an external drive when connected via USB so that ebooks, files, etc can be loaded onto it ... but that is the opposite of what you'd require to use an external (or network) drive.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:45 PM   #10
beckywc
Addict
beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

From the info I've read and the videos I've seen the seagate acts like an adapter/network and you connect to it using your wifi through the wifi settings on the device. Then using the established ip address you are able to access the files, videos etc. on the seagate.

Since I don't understand what a peer to peer or ad hoc network is, does this make this setup one. Because the only limitation is that the Fire will not connect to either of these two type of networks.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:36 PM   #11
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckywc View Post
From the info I've read and the videos I've seen the seagate acts like an adapter/network and you connect to it using your wifi through the wifi settings on the device. Then using the established ip address you are able to access the files, videos etc. on the seagate.

Since I don't understand what a peer to peer or ad hoc network is, does this make this setup one. Because the only limitation is that the Fire will not connect to either of these two type of networks.
Right, but your device still has to have the ability to access remote drives. I don't think the Fire will do that. My Xoom won't do that, nor my DroidX using straight Android. There might be an app of some kind that would allow it, but I'm not familiar with one off the top of my head.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:44 PM   #12
beckywc
Addict

Can you check out this video because it says any andrioid device. Link below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Egt85...eature=related

I'm sorry if I'm dense, just trying get a clear understanding.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:51 PM   #13
kennyc

Well it apparently acts as a wifi -- but, but, but, you'd still have to have apps that would use it, I'm still very skeptical that the Fire Movie player will play from it and that sort of thing. Now I may be completely wrong, but I personally would not be willing to take a chance on it working (certainly not without rooting the Fire).

The other issue I see is that if it is acting as your wifi device then your browser etc is not going to work properly. Again, maybe I'm wrong, but I'm still betting against it working the way you are thinking.

I'd suggest you post your question on Amazon in the Kindle Fire section and see what they say. Maybe here:
http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/r...TxETMG4G5L19AW

Last edited by kennyc; 11-05-2011 at 09:55 PM.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:57 PM   #14
beckywc
Addict

You will not have access to the internet while being hooked up to the device, but I wanted to use it for file storage when I go to places that didn't have wifi access in order to gain access to my files, videos etc that I have upload to the cloud.

I would keep a duplicate copy on this and when I'm traveling and can't get wifi access I could still have access to files, videos, etc. especially since it's pocket size. I can just drop it into my purse and pop it out while traveling in a car, etc. It would solve the problem of a SD card access.

I just wanted to make sure that this wasn't considered a peer to peer or adhoc type network.

Last edited by beckywc; 11-05-2011 at 10:02 PM.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:01 PM   #15
kennyc

Ask Amazon and report back.

I'd like to know what they say myself.