Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 09-27-2011, 01:15 PM   #121
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
If you want to post about a great deal or find you made and claim it is "for the community" then why are you attaching affiliate codes to them? Affiliate links are "hidden" commercial advertising.
Hidden? How exactly are they are hidden? I place my cursor over the link and I can see the entire link including the affiliate code.

Once again, I'll say this was a knee-jerk decision and you (the moderators and owners of this site) have managed to alienate a large portion of your members. With what results? Affiliate links are still being posted. Posters can still make money from those posts in the same way as before. It's become increasingly difficult for the members to find interesting books.

But while I disagree with the decision, as I said earlier, your site - your rules.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:20 PM   #122
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
I really do not want to fight with the moderators. Fights just entrench everyone more firmly in their opinions.

Can we just TRY the 2-link, 1-post method? Please? For a week or two?
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2011, 01:30 PM   #123
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
We moderators are the main ones who wanted the change because, quite frankly, we're fed up with the daily requests for thread and post deletions in the ever-escalating War of the Affiliate Links. We're being worked to death for free on behalf of people who are earning money from our efforts. The only alternate we can see is to let duplicate threads and posts clutter the forum. Is that what you really want?

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 09-27-2011 at 01:34 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:33 PM   #124
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
I really do not want to fight with the moderators. Fights just entrench everyone more firmly in their opinions.
Hear, hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
Can we just TRY the 2-link, 1-post method? Please? For a week or two?
Please?
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:34 PM   #125
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
We moderators are the main ones who wanted the change because, quite franlkly, we're fed up with the daily requests for thread and post deletions in the ever-escalating War of the Affiliate Links. We're being worked to death for free on behalf of people who are earning money from our efforts. The only alternate we can see is to let duplicate threads and posts clutter the forum. Is that what you really want?
Translation: By doing it this way, instead of the old way, moderators don't have to spend more than half their time dealing with duplicate affiliate link threads and can focus on actually doing their jobs as moderators instead.

That's all you had to say.
Advert
Old 09-27-2011, 01:36 PM   #126
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
Translation: By doing it this way, instead of the old way, moderators don't have to spend more than half their time dealing with duplicate affiliate link threads and can focus on actually doing their jobs as moderators instead.

That's all you had to say.
Exactly.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:41 PM   #127
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe

Watch how the strange magic works:

I'm withdrawing all complaints about the new format. I know how busy moderators are, and what forum communities are like without moderators who care, and if this change is necessary to make your job here easier, I have no problem with it. I'd lie if I say I like it, but I'm not going to complain anymore. I just wanted the courtesy of an explanation, and now I have one. It's an explanation I understand, but even if I didn't understand it, I'd be perfectly willing to accept it.

Thanks for taking a moment to post it.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:41 PM   #128
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
We moderators are the main ones who wanted the change because, quite franlkly, we're fed up with the daily requests for thread and post deletions in the ever-escalating War of the Affiliate Links. We're being worked to death for free on behalf of people who are earning money from our efforts. The only alternate we can see is to let duplicate threads and posts clutter the forum. Is that what you really want?
Why was that so hard to explain? Most people here only ever wanted an official explanation that made some semblance of sense to them. Thank you. I'm still not crazy about the solution, but at least I can somewhat understand.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:42 PM   #129
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
We moderators are the main ones who wanted the change because, quite frankly, we're fed up with the daily requests for thread and post deletions in the ever-escalating War of the Affiliate Links. We're being worked to death for free on behalf of people who are earning money from our efforts. The only alternate we can see is to let duplicate threads and posts clutter the forum. Is that what you really want?
Thank you.

Actually, if there's a vote, yes. From me anyway.

I liked the old way. If going back to the old way means there are double posts in the Deals forum, that's STILL faster for me to look at than this new way. If you want to declare the Deals forum "No Man's Land" and not spend time cleaning it, that's actually fine with me. A few duplicate titles to glance at is a small price to pay for... a few duplicate threads that I have to read all the new posts in to find the deals.

To clarify: the new way is essentially useless to me. The old way, even if it were to get cluttered, wasn't. That's my 2 cents.

EDITED TO ADD: And I notice the duplicate threads are already being spammed with Author Self-Promotions. Which can't be easy for ya'll to find and delete, nested inside the whole thread. Seems like "no man's land" would be easier for both you and me.

Last edited by anamardoll; 09-27-2011 at 01:46 PM.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:47 PM   #130
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
I can appreciate this, if the deals forum is taking too much time to moderate then I agree. It would of been nice if this was the reason given originally rather then passing it off as "User Complaints"
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:53 PM   #131
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Why was that so hard to explain? Most people here only ever wanted an official explanation that made some semblance of sense to them. Thank you. I'm still not crazy about the solution, but at least I can somewhat understand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I can appreciate this, if the deals forum is taking too much time to moderate then I agree. It would of been nice if this was the reason given originally rather then passing it off as "User Complaints"
+1 to both posts.

Thank you for explaining. I really didn't nor do I yet understand why affiliate links are a problem. I do, however, understand cutting down on troublesome & unnecessary work loads.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:54 PM   #132
greencat
Freebie finder
greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony, Kindle
Shame it's come to this (especially I was someone who used to regularly participate in the friendly competition to post the freebies first and yep I think I may have made a few cents from it) but the mods reasoning is understandable.
greencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:57 PM   #133
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Actually there is/was another alternative. Just ban affiliate links. Certainly some of the current set of posters will stop posting, but others will take their place and we can get back to a single post per deal as in the past. You've made life easier for the mods and a pain in the a$$ for the members.

My last post on the subject.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 02:00 PM   #134
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
^This.

I guess silly us for assuming the complaints were coming from users ...
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 02:00 PM   #135
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Quote:
Thank you for the explanation. I very much appreciate it.

However, I do just want to say that if the question at the end is a real question, and not just rhetorical, then "Yes, I would prefer to have duplicate threads, with titles that tell me what's in them, rather than having to dig to the end of multiple affiliate threads." My brain can handle sorting out the duplicates pretty quickly and well, while digging through the threads is a pain.

Still, I can understand the reason now, and I do appreciate the moderators' work. So I'll figure out some way to live with it - probably by finding/getting less deals/freebies - sigh!
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote