Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-25-2011, 01:58 PM   #1
RSaunders
Groupie
RSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
Goto Page?

I have a couple of ePub books that I've made with calibre (conversions of other formats via MOBI). They seem to look good and work well, with one pesky exception. Goto Page doesn't work. I can open the menu and choose goto page and type the page number in using the onscreen keyboard and direction pad. When I pick OK, it gets a dark border (like "pushed"), then the dark border goes away and I get the "working decatron in the upper right corner". The decatron goes around to about 9 o'clock and stops. Then nothing happens. Even if left to sit and think over lunch, nothing happens. The direction pad does nothing, and none of the buttons (except reboot) does anything.

I'm willing to accept this is a sub-optimal ePub, but what's the workaround?
RSaunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:30 PM   #2
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Can't you tap in the centre and then hit the horizontal lines button and a slider for pages appears?
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2011, 03:15 PM   #3
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by danskmacabre View Post
Can't you tap in the centre and then hit the horizontal lines button and a slider for pages appears?
i don't think they are talking about the touch. what is described in the question it's the kobo wifi in which case no, they can't touch the middle of the screen and use slider buttons.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:00 PM   #4
ArmorDog
Connoisseur
ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi and Kobo Touch and Kobo Glo and Kobo H20
RSaunders,

If one of the problem books is public domain or otherwise legal to share, could you post it somewhere? I have a Kobo Wifi and I'd be happy to see if I can reproduce/fix the problem.
ArmorDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:43 PM   #5
RSaunders
Groupie
RSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it is

Correct, I do not have a "touch". I'm a long-time Sony user moving off that platform because they only offer touchscreens, which I find glaring and fingerprinted.

I managed to get to page 64 by just pushing the "right" button enough times. However, I've read a little farther into the book, and a new hangup has surfaced. Now when I open the book the Kobo puts up a quote while "LOADING". (it seems to fancy the Asimov "sufficiently advanced technology" one) The decatron spins in the corner for 1 minute and then goes away. Alas, I am not looking at my book, I'm still looking at the quote. Oh, and none of the buttons do anything. Luckily I can hold down the power button to reboot.

Sadly, the book is copyrighted. Even though it has no DRM, I vote against DRM with my $, it seems to barf the Kobo. It's just a long HTML file, converted to MOBI and then ePub. No links or chapters or fancy stuff. The only other odd thing I've noted is that the Kobo doesn't respect the non-breaking space symbols in the HTML. Perhaps this is an artifact of the conversion process.
Advert
Old 07-25-2011, 06:38 PM   #6
RSaunders
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmorDog View Post
RSaunders,

If one of the problem books is public domain or otherwise legal to share, could you post it somewhere? I have a Kobo Wifi and I'd be happy to see if I can reproduce/fix the problem.
I have managed to make a new book with the problem. The text of this book is Pride and Prejudice. I am not trying to read that, so don't tell me there is already a better version for Kobo. It was simply a text file of the right size on Gutenburg.

Attached are the HTML source, the MOBI produced by calibre, and the EPUB produced by calibre. Load this book onto your Kobo and use the goto page function to skip to page 99 (out of 259). You will have no decatron spinning, and the buttons do nothing. I see the skip pages display over page 1 of the book. After a reset, you can get to 99 by skipping to 49 first. Then you can push the Home button move down and up and then select the book to go back to reading it. You will see your decatron spin and spin and then stop. This time it was at 2 o'clock.

Holding down the power button resets the device, and seems to do no harm.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Book 2 Test html.txt (724.5 KB, 375 views)
File Type: mobi Book 2 TEST - Unknown.mobi (427.9 KB, 203 views)
File Type: epub Book 2 TEST - Unknown.epub (346.2 KB, 227 views)
Old 07-26-2011, 10:17 AM   #7
ArmorDog
Connoisseur
ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi and Kobo Touch and Kobo Glo and Kobo H20
I haven't had a chance to try in on the Wifi yet. But, for what it's worth, a similar thing happens on the Touch.

I open the book, use the navigation slider to scroll to page 100, and everything locks up. I had to hold the power switch until it turned off, then turn it back on. Everything else was unresponsive. I'm going to crack open the epub and see what's going on.
ArmorDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:26 AM   #8
RSaunders
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmorDog View Post
I haven't had a chance to try in on the Wifi yet. But, for what it's worth, a similar thing happens on the Touch.

I open the book, use the navigation slider to scroll to page 100, and everything locks up. I had to hold the power switch until it turned off, then turn it back on. Everything else was unresponsive. I'm going to crack open the epub and see what's going on.
Let me know if you find something. I'll put a bug report in for calibre if somebody can figure out what needs to be done differently.