Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-31-2011, 01:20 AM   #1
YvetteDownunder
YvetteDownunder began at the beginning.

Device: yvettedownunder@gmail.com
Multiple libraries I don't want!

I bought a Kobo a couple of months ago. They are quite new to Australia and I made the choice between it and the Kindle because a major bookstore chain was the sole distributor here and I thought that would be good.

That distributor - Borders - and its subsidiary Angus & Robertson (who have also started stocking both ereaders and ebooks) have since gone into voluntary liquidation only a week after I bought my Kobo!

My problem is, I have bought books via the Kobo.com store, from the Borders.com.au store and the Angus and Robertson store and all are perfect and just as they should be - but I can't have them all on the Kobo (physically or online) in one place! I have to open up each corresponding desktop app and resync the reader, which then replaces the books from store A with the ones from store B! I even end up with one set of books on my ereader and another on my Blackberry app and I suspect I could have a third on my desktop app if I didn't sync! I don't lose my books, I just can't access them until I swap back.

This is all fine as long as I am content to read one book to the end and then swap libraries but that defeats the whole point of having all your books in one place!

Can anyone help? Is it something I have setup wrong or a glitch in the system? Do I need to pick one store and stick with it, even if they don't both have the titles I want? Can I not access sales without losing my current read?

Confused in Melbourne
YvetteDownunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:03 AM   #2
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
Yvette, do you have a copy of ADE (Adobe Digital Editions) on your PC? If so, I would login to the websites for each of your stores, go into your library for each and select to download the EPUB. This will then download the epub file into ADE - all in one place and you can use ADE to manage your total library.

In fact, you don't actually need to use the desktop apps at all - many of us choose not to.

Later on, or now if you are game, you could try using calibre to manage your library. But I'd start with ADE as it does the job - and lets you borrow library books as well, check out the Yarra Plenty Library, they have a great selection and it's FREE.

Good luck and just ask again if you have more questions, we're happy to help.
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2011, 04:32 AM   #3
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Although a number of different stores are powered by Kobo, each syncs independently of the others. That means that the kobobooks.com servers don't know anything about your Borders purchases. Syncing coordinates between the specific store's purchases and your reader. The solution is to choose one store you will use for syncing and sideload through ADE or Calibre for all of your other books.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:21 PM   #4
YvetteDownunder
YvetteDownunder began at the beginning.

Device: yvettedownunder@gmail.com
Thank you so much, I have downloaded all the books to the ADE - now I just need to work out how to sync that with my Kobo!!!

Yvette
YvetteDownunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:55 AM   #5
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
It's not a sync function. You drag and drop from ADE onto the Kobo icon that appears when your reader is connected. Or you import the books from ADE into Calibre and move them onto your Kobo from there.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert