Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-10-2011, 10:10 PM   #1
wacomme
Enthusiast
wacomme began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 arriving 1/12
PDF Problems

I just received my Kindle 3 and love it. However, I just transferred a pdf file from Calibre to my Kindle and the Kindle can't read it. I get a message saying, "This PDF cannot be opened due to embedded features not yet supported by Kindle."

Please help.
wacomme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:27 PM   #2
wacomme
Enthusiast
wacomme began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 arriving 1/12
OK. I tried to get Calibre convert the pdf to epub. It didn't work.

The original pdf does transfer and is readable, albeit sans Kindle formatting.
wacomme is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2011, 02:07 AM   #3
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by wacomme View Post
OK. I tried to get Calibre convert the pdf to epub. It didn't work.

The original pdf does transfer and is readable, albeit sans Kindle formatting.
Kindle doen't read epub; should be mobi.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:29 AM   #4
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Hi OP. You could also try sending the PDF to your Kindle via your Kindle email address for conversion to a Kindle format. Sometimes this can work quite well.

Put "Convert" in the subject of the e-mail, attach your PDF and send to "yourname"@free.kindle.com - you can then switch the wifi on your Kindle and download it.

Your Kindle email address is on the Manage Your Kindle page accessible via the Amazon Kindle Store - in case anyone reading this doesn't know. Placing free. after the @ in the email address ensures that those with a 3G kindle are not charged to receive the personal document(s) they send to their Kindle.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:51 PM   #5
dnaknitter
dnaknitter began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G
I just ran into a pdf like that--it was a free download from a publisher's website, and I think the problem was that it had some "annotations" included by the author, in the form of footnotes in a different color. I used the pdf-to-mobi conversion in Mobipocket Creator and the resulting prc file worked fine on my Kindle.
dnaknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2011, 04:04 PM   #6
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Sending it to your personal Kindle email address will most likely solve the problem.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote