Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-13-2015, 06:12 PM   #1
DuncanWatson
Kindle Convert
DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook (all)
Kindle PW2 question from newbie to platform

I am a recent Nook convert into the Kindle ecosystem. I love my paperwhite but one thing I miss is how I could always hit an icon on the nook to get to my currently open book in reading mode.

On my paperwhite when I open the menu, hit the home icon and navigate through my books, I find it hard to get back. I know I can hit the "<" key a whole bunch of times until such time as I am looking at text again but that seems a bit like too many key presses. My current workaround is to keep a collection called "reading" and navigate to that and open my book there. I have to manage that collection but I wondered if there was an easier way. Is there?
DuncanWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 06:22 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Depending on your Library sort order, the most recently opened book should be the first one you see.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2015, 06:41 PM   #3
DuncanWatson
Kindle Convert
DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.

That will probably work in the future but I have Calibre loading my kindle via email. A new book is inbound every 5 minutes and will be for the next few days of my waking hours.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:07 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Leave the Kindle open inside the book you are reading, and it will still be the first one.

I don't know of any other one-shot solutions, sorry.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:17 PM   #5
DuncanWatson
Kindle Convert

Well there had to be something where the nook still did something better. No worries, I will continue to use collections to manage my reading queue and it will be fine.
Advert
Old 05-13-2015, 10:05 PM   #6
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I don't have this problem at all because of the way I organize my Kindle. First, although this isn't really important to the solution of your issue, I don't keep many books on my device. It's usually under 20 books and rarely over 30. That makes everything I do on it a lot simpler.

I have 3 collections: one called _Local for books on the device, one called _Offline for books I want to keep in mind but not online. Those are usually the ones I plan to read in the near future but don't have in mind for my next book. And a collection called _Misc for user guides, non-fiction, shorts stories, etc.

Everything except the book I'm currently reading is in one of those collections and my current book is the only one on the home page itself. So it's always there when I hit Home.

It helps, of course, that I only read one book at a time.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 12:07 AM   #7
DuncanWatson
Kindle Convert

Understood. I will continue to use collections to manage my reading queue. Since I am a heavy re-reader and my tastes changes with my moods I keep a lot of books on my eReaders. Additionally my vacation habits are such that I often have trouble getting online during a vacation. I am either out of country or in the wilderness on many of my vacations. My android devices have the least since I don't like reading on LCD screens.

I am a big fan of the kindle personal document system that allows me to put all of my migrated ebooks into the kindle cloud. Collections are an awesome feature and I am happy to use them.
Old 05-14-2015, 12:34 AM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

+1 for collections, and rereading, and reading 6+ books at a time.
Old 05-14-2015, 02:15 PM   #9
DuncanWatson
Kindle Convert

I once read each book of the Chronicles of Narnia at the same time. They are pretty short and I don't remember why I didn't just power through each one, I think it was a stunt.

The last time I reread the Myth series by Robert Asprin it took around an hour per book or so. I used to use those books as a palate cleanser.
Old 05-14-2015, 02:33 PM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Generally when I read multiple books at a time, they are part of different series'. Occasionally it is the difference between ebooks and pbooks, but sometimes I just decide I need a temporary change.

I must say, ebooks make it so much easier to keep track of where you are when you do that.
Old 05-14-2015, 04:20 PM   #11
DuncanWatson
Kindle Convert

The first time I read The Fellowship of the Ring, I got bogged down. It took me a year to finish it the first time back in the mid-80s. I probably read over a hundred books while working on Fellowship. Nowadays it would be much easier. In my paperbooks I still find receipts, matchbook covers, train tickets or even paper towels marking positions. Some of those receipts or tickets are 15 years old. It is amusing.
Old 05-14-2015, 06:26 PM   #12
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

How amusing, I myself didn't read large tracts of LotR until the second or third time around. Mostly skipped Frodo and Sam after the breaking of the fellowship though. Mordor was dreary, as were those marshes.