Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-04-2010, 08:35 AM   #1
Prince Hal
Zealot
Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Galaxy Player 4.2; Nexus 3 (wifi only); Nook HD+ (possibly)
Olivetree Biblereader on jailbroken Nookcolor

Can anyone who has a jailbroken Nookcolor be so kind as to see how Olivetree's Biblereader for Android looks - if it will load at all? And post some pictures. I would be really grateful. The NC looks like a great piece of hardware. To get Biblereader would cause me to rush out and take the dangerous step of rooting.

Of course my alternative to Olivetree would be the Kindle app and then a good Bible. Unfortunately B&n do not have the two versions I want - the NAB or Scott Hahn Ignatius Study Bible. But both the B&N reader app and Kindle would be second best to Olivetree.

Many thanks if anyone can help out.

Hal.
Prince Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:44 AM   #2
Prince Hal
Zealot
Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Added notification of replies

Added instant notification of replies.
Advert
Old 12-05-2010, 01:31 AM   #3
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
I never used this app before.

I was able to install the app, but could not get it to load my online library or browse the store. It attempts to open the web browser for these tasks, then nothing.

It's possible that if you install the app to a storage card and then manually place the books in the correct Olivetree folder (according to the instructions) it will work. I think you'll just have to work offline.

Last edited by SCION; 12-05-2010 at 01:36 AM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:17 AM   #4
Prince Hal
Zealot

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I never used this app before.

I was able to install the app, but could not get it to load my online library or browse the store. It attempts to open the web browser for these tasks, then nothing.

It's possible that if you install the app to a storage card and then manually place the books in the correct Olivetree folder (according to the instructions) it will work. I think you'll just have to work offline.
SCION thank you so very much! That was really helpful of you to do this. I have just received approval to purchase the NC from the finance director - the wife. Mmm....now do I do it? Everything hinges on this one program. I am wanting a 7 inch color Bible reader with more than just one Bible text, and the ability to look up notes and Greek text etc. So Olivetree fits the bill perfectly. I already have the resources for my iTouch. So it loads. This is great news. Will it then load the individual resources? This is the risk. Aaaargh! Almost there.

Thanks for your help on this - I am very grateful.

Hal.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:53 AM   #5
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Let me clarify now that I've thought about it some more. It's not attempting to open the web browser. I guess within the program itself it is attempting to retrieve this information. This make more sense because it's a self-contained program that doesn't use a web browser. So it's attempting to perform the online retrieval tasks and can't for some reason.

Last edited by SCION; 12-05-2010 at 12:07 PM.
Advert
Old 12-05-2010, 12:27 PM   #6
Prince Hal
Zealot

Intersting

Quote:
Let me clarify now that I've thought about it some more. It's not attempting to open the web browser. I guess within the program itself it is attempting to retrieve this information. This make more sense because it's a self-contained program that doesn't use a web browser. So it's attempting to perform the online retrieval tasks and can't for some reason.
When using the OliveTree program on a Palm or an iTouch, it is completely self contained and can be used off line. Were you able to get any of the books to load? Jus got authorization from the finance director - the wife - to purchase an Nc, but my major purpose would be to use OliveTree or at a pinch the Kindle app for books that B&N to not ave (presently).

Alternstively I could wait to see if OliveTree will develope their app using the SDK to work without a jailbreak. It would appear that they are almost there at the moment. The NC hardware looks really impressive, hence the desire to get it to work. There are other Android bible readers, but not with the Bible that I use, and of course I have already paid a couple of hundred dollars for the OliveTree bibles.

Thanks again for your help.

Hal.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:51 PM   #7
SCION
Séduisant

It works as intended!

I had manually installed the app using a file that I found online. So, I uninstalled it. Went to the mobile site for Olivetree (www.olivetree.com/m). It detected the type of Android OS I have and directed me to dowload the app. The app has to be downloaded to a storage card and installed. Everything is good now. It can perform online tasks.

Sorry for the false alarm. The manual installation through things off, as I didn't install to the storage card.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:28 PM   #8
Prince Hal
Zealot

Then I will buy

Quote:
It works as intended!

I had manually installed the app using a file that I found online. So, I uninstalled it. Went to the mobile site for Olivetree (www.olivetree.com/m). It detected the type of Android OS I have and directed me to dowload the app. The app has to be downloaded to a storage card and installed. Everything is good now. It can perform online tasks.

Sorry for the false alarm. The manual installation through things off, as I didn't install to the storage card.
That is it. I will buy a NC and root it. I will take the plunge and the risk.

Thanks for the help. If you have any time can you post some screeshots - it might ease the wife's nerves about jailbreaking.

Thanks again,

Hal
Old 12-05-2010, 01:38 PM   #9
SCION
Séduisant

Just want to acknowledge your post. I will provide screenshots later.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:39 PM   #10
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Just want to acknowledge your post. I will provide screenshots later.
Part 1

Default font size for text
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0257.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	564.9 KB
ID:	62376   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0258.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	301.1 KB
ID:	62377   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0259.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	637.3 KB
ID:	62378   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0260.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	620.8 KB
ID:	62379   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0261.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	511.4 KB
ID:	62380  

Last edited by SCION; 12-05-2010 at 07:02 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:43 PM   #11
SCION
Séduisant

Part 2
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0262.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	774.6 KB
ID:	62381   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0263.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	882.8 KB
ID:	62382   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0264.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	349.1 KB
ID:	62383   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0265.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	805.9 KB
ID:	62384   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0266.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	328.3 KB
ID:	62385  
Old 12-05-2010, 06:44 PM   #12
SCION
Séduisant

Part 3
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0267.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	623.0 KB
ID:	62386   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0268.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	725.3 KB
ID:	62387  
Old 12-05-2010, 06:57 PM   #13
SCION
Séduisant

Part 4

Changed font size to 20 and 30
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0270.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	325.9 KB
ID:	62388   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0271.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	598.5 KB
ID:	62389  

Last edited by SCION; 12-05-2010 at 07:01 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:31 PM   #14
Prince Hal
Zealot

Thumbs up

Quote:
Part 4

Changed font size to 20 and 30
Thank you so much for posting. The thought of jail breaking a brand new $250 unit is somewhat scary. However, the images that you have posted make it worth the effort and risk. So thanks for giving me some backbone. And above all thank you and the other contributors for you time and effort. It is always appreciated.

Hal.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:37 PM   #15
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Hal View Post
Thank you so much for posting. The thought of jail breaking a brand new $250 unit is somewhat scary. However, the images that you have posted make it worth the effort and risk. So thanks for giving me some backbone. And above all thank you and the other contributors for you time and effort. It is always appreciated.

Hal.
You're welcome. I learned something from the process.