Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-09-2010, 09:01 PM   #1
volock
volock
volock began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX (US Version)
Macports / Fink version of Calibre

I opened this thread because I wanted to get some feedback and had a couple of questions about the status of Calibre with these two programs.

For those of you who don't know Darwin Ports, Fink and Mac Ports are utilities designed to allow you to easily install and update software packages. The idea being that incremental releases become simpler, and whichever one you are using, can build dependencies and pre-install them. There are a considerable number of software packages available this way including: VLC, Python, X11, GIMP, just to name a few.

Having read through the user forums, as I understand it there currently isn't a port available under any of these. From reading the forums I know that Kovid said that he didn't object to the developement of a port, but didn't plan to create or work to maintain one (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ht=fink&page=2). I also know that the users mwheinz and krischik both worked on/talked about a macport of the project, but that there wasn't any further discussion.

As things currently stand I actual check out the source and have been using my own port file to build Calibre for my Mac (OSX 10.6 with 64bit EFI) for a dozen plus releases. I was wondering what interest if any there is from other in my fully developing the port file. Currently it's setup so that it works for OSX 10.5/10.6 (haven't tested it on earlier versions) and is actually handling the build for both 32 bit and 64 bit (though its set for if 64 bit fails, to run the compile flagged for 32 bit). I was also wondering if Kovid had any comments / opinions on the developement of the portfiles, along with the two previously mentioned users since I saw one had setup a google code SVN (http://code.google.com/p/macport-sta...pec=svn31&r=31) for calibre.

I decided to finally join in on the forums here, because since I went through the trouble of getting it working, whether others would be interested in using it (and subsequently worth my time to submit it to macports over having it as a local repository) and taking the time to update and commit changes to provide an easier way to update Calibre (along with a considerably smaller file size / update size). The other main advantage is that when there are significant updates to included libraries, it's easier to update them, along with not having to have multiple copies of the same library installed.

As I've come to understand there isn't a Fink/DarwinPorts/MacPorts version of Calibre.
volock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:01 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Sure go ahead. I'll be happy to do what I can to help. Just be aware that some features,like drag and drop onto the dock icon depend on being in a proper app bundle.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 04:49 PM   #3
jruschme
jruschme began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle WiFi
I suppose I have to ask the obvious question and wonder what is wrong with the regular Mac OS X version of Calibre?

Also, FTY, I noticed that Calibre has a NetBSD pkgsrc build, which means it could be built on Mac OS X that way (and would probably also be a good basis for a Darwin Ports port, etc.).
jruschme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:42 AM   #4
volock
volock

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruschme View Post
I suppose I have to ask the obvious question and wonder what is wrong with the regular Mac OS X version of Calibre?
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the regular version of Calibre on OSX. I heavily use MacPorts as a convenient way to decrease install size of everything I have on OSX and to provide easier updating to non-Apple software packages. A good example is that VLC and GIMP both you many of the larger libraries Calibre uses, an install through MacPorts cuts the size down in half or less of each individual install. Also to update one can call "sudo port upgrade all" or simply "sudo port upgrade <portname>". I have no problems whatsoever with the regular version, this would be a different way of building, installing, and updating the regular version.

The other advantage worth mentioning is if at some point add-ons of various flavors, conversion scripts, etc... Get changed or used, it's easy to have them as additional installations of the main package. It also allows for being able to build Calibre to the architecture of the machine that it's being installed on. For example on a 64bit machine with a Snow Leopard install, an exclusively 64-bit python package could be used as the dependency (actually this isn't necessarily true on technical levels but serves to illustrate the point). In the end it's just a different way of managing the software you have installed, getting new software, and updating it. I can tell you that I'd estimate the size of an update file for Calibre could be pushed under 5mb for a lot of the updates instead of redownloading the .dmg that's ~60mb and that the installed .app file could probably be 1/2 the size or so (currently a little over 200MB from a dmg install)

[/QUOTE]
Also, FTY, I noticed that Calibre has a NetBSD pkgsrc build, which means it could be built on Mac OS X that way (and would probably also be a good basis for a Darwin Ports port, etc.).[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that tip. I actually have a package made in my own repository for building Calibre, but it needs to be expanded, since I don't bother to check architecture, and some other things that a more proper port would.

Last edited by volock; 03-12-2010 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Misquoted and formatting
Old 03-12-2010, 09:49 AM   #5
volock
volock

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Sure go ahead. I'll be happy to do what I can to help. Just be aware that some features,like drag and drop onto the dock icon depend on being in a proper app bundle.
Thanks Kovid, I appreciate that, and what a great software application you made with Calibre. The building of a proper App Bundle isn't actually too bad anymore. There's a couple issues I have left to figure out in terms of building for different architecture flags, but those aren't complicated, I just need to re-download and go over your build scripts.

The one big question I have for you would be about the namespace for the port. Would you mind if I called it Calibre and then had the description text reference that it's an un-official port of your software and then point people at your website for the Official build's of Calibre? I in no way want any credit for your software or this, because in the end, all I am doing is simply repackaging the installer for it. As a side note, do you have any opinions of it being built as a 32 vs 64 bit app, or Universal? I can set up the port flags to build it however based on the computer, but I wasn't sure if you knew of any many problems that I should be aware of. I know that currently I am building it as 32 bit on my Snow Leopard install, but that has more to do with fear of the 64bit linker with all the problems GHC and other things have had. i decided to just force 32-bit for a lot of my building of things until the compilers and linker's on snow leopard have their kinks fully worked out.

The other smaller question I have is who you would want listed as maintainers, etc on the port. Obviously I plan to put my name there since I'm making the port initially and plan to do the updating. I assume you might want your name / email on it since it's your software, and once you are added as a maintainer, if you were to ever change your mind about the port existing, etc. you could easily pull it. I was unsure if there was anyone else who's name should be added.

Last edited by volock; 03-12-2010 at 10:04 AM.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:17 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I'm fine with you calling it calibre and explaining its non official status in the description. I've never tried building a 64bit version of calibre on OS X, so I can't really say how good/bad/ugly it is. I d recall various problems being reported on various mailing lists with getting 64 bit python, Qt and PyQt to play well together.

Just put me on as a maintainer, in addition to yourself, no need for anyone else, as I do all the dirty work of build system maintenance in calibre
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
build, calibre, developement, fink, mac ports