Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 09-26-2009, 07:50 AM   #1
rogue_ronin
Banned
rogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nokia 770 (fbreader)
Smart Q7: Get FBReader 0.10.7 on OS 5.0

Easiest way is to install synaptic first:

Code:
sudo apt-get install synaptic
Then open pcmanfm by clicking on My Documents on the desktop.

Click the up arrow until you've navigated to /.

Enter the etc folder, then the apt folder.

On pcmanfm's tool menu, select Tool --> Open Current Folder as Root. A new window will open with a bar, warning you that you are now in super-user mode. Close the old pcmanfm window so you don't get confused.

From the new window, open the file named 'preferences' (right click and hold, select "Open with Leafpad" -- or just click it. It should open in leafpad if you haven't changed pcmanfm's settings.

In the new leafpad window, select File --> Save As... and save the file as 'preferences.bak'.

Go to the very end of the file. Delete the bottom three lines. The three lines should be:

Code:
Package: fbreader libzltext libzlui-gtk libzlcore
Pin: release a=hhtech
Pin-Priority: 1001
Select File --> Save As... and save the file as 'preferences'. Confirm to overwrite.

Close leafpad and pcmanfm.

Launch synaptic. You may get a window saying something about how synaptic works. No worries, it's just a first-run window.

Click the Reload button. Wait for synaptic to finish; click Close on the popup window if you need to.

Search for fbreader. (Not FBReader.) Select 'upgrade'. Confirm any changes it wants.

Click the big Apply button.

Confirm.

Let it download and install the files.

Close synaptic. You should be good to go.

It seems to be working for me. No guarantees it will work for you.

NB: I think that Smart pinned the reader at v. 0.8.7 to allow for Chinese character display. If you need them (or other glyphs), this may not be a good idea for you. Or try it and confirm it! I don't know for sure, after all.

Last edited by rogue_ronin; 09-26-2009 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Forgot to note that it was for a Smart Q7
rogue_ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 05:41 PM   #2
Melf
Enthusiast
Melf began at the beginning.

Device: TTX, SmartQ7
Works like a charm !

BTW, has anybody noticed any problems with character encoding in fbreader on the V5 firmware ? When I try to open a Windows-1250 (czech alphabet) encoded *.pdb, some characters are replaced with small boxes with a hexadecimal value in them (unicode value of the character, I guess). If I remember correctly, this didnt happen on V4 and V3...
Melf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 06:09 PM   #3
rogue_ronin
Banned
rogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-books

Did you have that problem before upgrading to 0.10.7?

m a r
Old 09-26-2009, 07:14 PM   #4
dmon65
Connoisseur
dmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enough

Device: SmartQ7, a 1st gen Nook and a Kobo Glo and Aura H2O
Worked like a charm! Karma comin your way!
dmon65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 07:40 PM   #5
Melf
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_ronin View Post
Did you have that problem before upgrading to 0.10.7?

m a r
Yes, this problem appeared after upgrade to V5 firmware, the upgrade of fbreader to 0.10.7 does not seem to change anything regarding it.
So its probably something in the system not in fbreader itself (missing fonts ?).

BTW, the 0.10.7 really looks good, thanks again for the walkthrought !
Old 09-26-2009, 08:20 PM   #6
rogue_ronin
Banned

Have you looked to see what encoding FBReader is using in preferences? (Look under the Language tab.)

If that's correct already, try to see if you can find a language pack in Synaptic for Czech. Might take care of it.

m a r
Old 09-26-2009, 08:24 PM   #7
rogue_ronin
Banned

I'm thinking that they may also have pinned the version for size -- I've been uninstalling lots of stuff (evince,abiword, gnumeric, transmission, pidgin, etc.) to make room for changes.

Synaptic adds to the internal flash drive -- gDebi is configured to add to the SD card.

If anyone knows how to config Synaptic to add to the SD card, please write a tutorial!

Make sure you don't run out of room, it'll be bad...

m a r
Old 09-26-2009, 08:48 PM   #8
Melf
Enthusiast

Looks like my little problem is now fixed Well, I finally checked what fonts is fbreader using to render the Windows-1250 encoded document...well I think you can already guess what was wrong
Fbreader was using "Droid Sans Fallback" and it seems that this font does not have the needed glyphs for the czech language After changing it to "Droid Sans", it renders correctly and I see no more squares

A quick "How to display czech text (Windows-1250) in FBReader on SmartQ7@V5 firmware":
1) start FBReader
2) go to options
3) select the "Styles" tab
4) in the family box, select "Droid Sans"
5) press Apply
(you might have to choose it for the other types than the default "Base" too)

Thats it

PS.: Sorry for hijacking your thread a bit, rogue_ronin
Old 09-26-2009, 08:53 PM   #9
Melf
Enthusiast

Quote:
Synaptic adds to the internal flash drive -- gDebi is configured to add to the SD card.
m a r
Well, thats an interesting find ! It seems, that if programs that should run as deamons (ssh server,etc.) are installed on the card, they dont start correctly.
So theoretically we can now install them to the internal flash (without removing the card) using synaptic
Old 09-26-2009, 09:31 PM   #10
rogue_ronin
Banned

No worries on the hijack -- it's related to FBReader, so I think it's good.

I had already changed my Base font to Droid Serif. As FBReader is configured out of the box, none of the other types are different (all read "unchanged".)

Good job on figuring it out.

m a r

ps: I hadn't yet noticed the daemon problem -- I've mostly been using apt and synaptic. It might have something to do with the fact that the SD card isn't being mounted at boot, only when pcmanfm gets around to it. Maybe someone can write a script to automount the SDcard -- since it is built-in hardware, it functions like a CD-ROM or a second hard drive. Takers?
Old 09-26-2009, 11:03 PM   #11
rogue_ronin
Banned

Anyone else notice that when FBReader is in full screen, it won't change pages?

Works perfectly otherwise, including downloading from FeedBooks (which doesn't work on my desktop.) I've tried changing the key values in both 0 and 90 settings.

Suggestions?

m a r
Old 09-27-2009, 05:53 AM   #12
Melf
Enthusiast

Quote:
Anyone else notice that when FBReader is in full screen, it won't change pages?
Well, unfortunately this seems to be a karmic related FBReader bug:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/418952

Tags
fbreader, smart q7, smartq 7, smartq7