Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 02-23-2014, 11:33 AM   #16
dutchie1
dutchie1 began at the beginning.

Device: Mantano
theducks, thanks! But that's exactly my problem: I cannot fill the viewing area all the time. It's great that it is allowed, but the end result is different. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. There is about a 50/50 hit/miss score so far (after about 500 books done). What intrigues me is what I indicated before: when I hit the READ button at the top of the CC screen sometimes there is a quick vague glimpse of the complete cover in M+RP before it goes back to a smaller one.
Greatly appreciate all you guys' thinking along and offering ideas. Very intriguing stuff!
dutchie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:34 AM   #17
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@dutchie1,

If you open this epub in the calibre Viewer, does the cover now stretch edge to edge, even when you drag the bottom left corner of the Viewer to vary the size and shape of the Viewer window? Based on the code you posted, the answer should definitely be 'yes'.

I think the next thing I'd do is to delete that particular book from the Nexus, using Calibre Companion. Then exit from CC and go into Moon+ and make sure Moon+ also thinks the book is completely gone. Then go back to CC and send the book again and hope that Moon+ sees it as a brand new book and isn't in some way 'remembering' the old book in some sort of cache. I'm also not sure whether Moon+ is one of those aggravating apps which insists on making its own copy of the book in its private storage, before it will open it.

If you still have no luck with that book, temporarily import it into your calibre library as a new book with a slightly different Title (and a new calibre book id number). Try sending this new named book to the Nexus from CC. Are the results any different? Don't forget what I said yesterday, Moon+ doesn't seem to be able to process SVG covers completely correctly, as it won't do the stretch/distort to ensure edge to edge. But on my phone the 'filler' is grey bars not the text content from the next page.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 04:59 PM   #18
dutchie1

Jackie, followed your instructions and got negative results. The cover view in Calibre is OK for every book (with a white cadre around it). As mentioned above M+RP said:

"hi, I'll update the book information dialog (or edit book information dialog) in next version which you can click the thumbnail cover to show it in full screen mode directly".

Don't know whether that will do it, but we'll have to wait and see. The funny thing is that with the smaller cover books M+RP "tries" to give me the full cover, but then immediately goes back to small(er). It looks like the culprit is M+RP. Walt above says that he has no problem with Aldiko reader, giving him the full screen. I installed Aldiko as well and so far have just got a complete blank for every cover. Maybe we'll have to wait for M+RP's next version. Thanks Jackie!
Old 02-24-2014, 01:40 PM   #19
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@dutchie1,

I tried opening more of my epubs in Moon+ and eventually I did find 2 (out of 100) which experienced the same problem you described, i.e. text from page 2 displayed on the same page as the rather small cover. When looking closer I see that these 2 books contain much smaller cover images than I normally try to find. So I wonder if this is what determines how the covers display?

FWIW, I did find that a long press on the small page 1 cover expanded the image significantly - some sort of View All Book Images feature - but you probably know this already if Moon+ is your go-to reading app.

My 407x648 cover expanded to fill the screen, but the 310x500 cover expanded to a bigger image but with approx 1cm black border on all 4 sides. No sign of any text, though.

Last edited by jackie_w; 02-24-2014 at 01:42 PM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:48 PM   #20
dutchie1

Jackie, thanks again. No I did not know that you can "play" with the cover. I tried it and it worked (not always though). The only thing is that once you have the cover to full screen and you close the book, the full cover does not reappear the next time you open the book.
I discovered that if a book has pictures and you tap the cover picture a few times, a band of the book's pictures appear at the bottom, which pictures you can also enlarge.
The resolution of the picture has nothing to do with resulting in a full size cover. I have covers with a big resolution and the still do not appear full size.
Let's see what Seany at Moon+ comes up with in his next revision. In the meantime I keep my thinking cap on!
Old 02-24-2014, 11:04 PM   #21
dutchie1

Jackie, when you do get a full size cover, there occasionally may still be some space at the top/bottom or left/right sides, but that depends on the resolution. If you can find another cover with a higher resolution, then the spaces are filled.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:23 PM   #22
dutchie1

To DoctorOhh: you mentioned that you get full covers in Aldiko. Can you please tell me how? I just get a blank page when I hit one of my books on the bookshelf.
Thanks!
Old 02-24-2014, 11:51 PM   #23
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchie1 View Post
To DoctorOhh: you mentioned that you get full covers in Aldiko. Can you please tell me how? I just get a blank page when I hit one of my books on the bookshelf.
Thanks!
I don't use this program. I was sort of wrong. Most of my covers are 600x800 and when I open a book in Aldiko the cover scales to fill 90% of the screen with a nice white border around the cover. So not full screen but it does scale up the covers on opening.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:29 PM   #24
dutchie1

Thanks, but how do you get a picture? When I hit one of the books on the shelf I get a blank page. Further tapping starts the book, but it sort of bypasses the cover.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:01 PM   #25
dutchie1

Still at it! Funny: out of my 88 Louis L'Amour books only 15 did not show a full screen picture. The ones that showed a smaller picture show either another picture or drawing or text immediately below them. I had the same result with other series of books, like John Grisham.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:55 PM   #26
dutchie1

Just bought Mantano Ereader, which is exactly what I want. Downloading books is a piece of cake and the covers all show full size when you hit the thumb size books. It may not have all the gimmicks that Moon+ has, but most of those I do not need anyway. I bought the Essentials version. Great reader!