Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-26-2013, 11:42 AM   #511
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCowboy View Post
How on Earth did you manage to get one from Smiths? I ordered mine about 30 seconds after they were announced in the UK and mine hasn't even shipped yet. Smiths aren't saying it's out of stock, but they're hardly busting a gut to get them to customers. So much for 'release date 25th April'.

Grumpy now.

Mike.
I got my Aura delivered from Smiths back on Tuesday, then picked up the cover from a local Smiths who let me buy it a day early

I ordered it around 13:30 on the 16th April if that helps
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:09 PM   #512
david8866
Zealot
david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Anyone wants to order Aura, I have bad experience, good luck to you.
You guys love your Aura, that is good.
I can not even cancel my order. They still can not find my order after more than one week, even they gave me two order numbers.
KOBO is an awful company in my book.
david8866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:16 PM   #513
iCowboy
Enthusiast
iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by simond View Post
I got my Aura delivered from Smiths back on Tuesday, then picked up the cover from a local Smiths who let me buy it a day early

I ordered it around 13:30 on the 16th April if that helps
About the same time as me then. I tried calling them and they said it could be Tuesday, or Thursday. They can't say why it hasn't shipped.

I don't think Smiths understands release dates; apparently the 25th was the official release date, not necessarily the date they'll be in customers' hands. By the sounds of it you lucked out.

I also tried asking if it was possible to get one in a local store, but branches of Smiths have one delivery a week of non-magazines and papers. My store won't get a delivery until Tuesday, so no time saved there.

Hope you're enjoying your new toy. Keep letting us know how you get on with it.

Mike.
iCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:27 PM   #514
lioslaith
Zealot
lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505, Kindle, Kobo Vox/Glo, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The Kobo Touch/Glo/Mini/Aura ereaders have two different rendering engines for displaying the ebook on the screen. The extension determines which one will be used. The Kobo rendering engine implements quite a few of the ePub 3 directives such as text direction, displays the amount of pages in the current chapter instead of the entire book, etc. It also implements Kobo's own DRM scheme. The Adobe Reader Mobile renderer allows you to read Adobe DRM protected books such as the ones you download from the library or purchase from sites that make use of it.

Regards,
David
Thanks for the explanation.

I thought it was just that they had used their own brand of DRM rather than using Adobe. So you can imagine how confusing I found it when posters here were asking how to convert epub to kepub for sideloading.
lioslaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:36 PM   #515
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilica View Post
I think I'll pass it too, now that I read all this epub/kepub stuff
I usually buy epubs only from Kobo, convert to .azw3 and read on Kindle. Or I buy from Amazon. But now converting to kepub also so I can use Aura features?
If you're buying from Kobo, you can just sync the kepubs to your device, no converting of any sort required.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:04 PM   #516
Bittybye
Addict
Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T2
I got my Aura this afternoon, so far I love it but is anyone having the problem with Caliber that when you add a book Caliber freezes for a few seconds?
Bittybye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:26 AM   #517
fyrogenesis
Undead
fyrogenesis began at the beginning.

Device: Omnia, Kindle 3, Dell Streak, Asus TF101, iPad 2 3g 64gb, Note
hi guys. can i highlight text and lookup in pdf on this device?
fyrogenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:38 AM   #518
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
The missing 1 cm. (2 cm if you use kepubs?) means I will have to turn an extra page about every 20 or 30 pages. I am sure there is someone who keeps track and says to themselves oh no there is that extra page turn again, but not me:0.
Well Kobo do! It is one of the reading stats shown for the current book. And the "Juggernaut" award is for 10000 page turns.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:43 AM   #519
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrogenesis View Post
hi guys. can i highlight text and lookup in pdf on this device?
No, you cannot highlight and lookup text in pdf.

The PDF viewer is barebones. You can resize, zoom and move around a page.
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:05 AM   #520
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
And having things like title and pagenumbers displayed all the time without the possibility to turn that off and use the space for text is just dumb IMHO. The page number could be down in a corner, in the same size as the book itself. Maybe, just maybe, put a blank line in between. Or if the user sets enough margin, put it in there. There is no need whatsoever to continually see the title of the book.

The Kobo readers have a lot of great and very advanced features with regard to readability (such as many fonts, sizes, and even weight and sharpness adjustment), but they leave out some elementary stuff like setting the line spacing to 1.0 and removing unwanted stuff from the screen.
I could not agree more. These are the two reasons why I do not use kepubs: you cannot get rid of the top menu, and you cannot adjust the line-height below 1.3em. And I wish they would make the bottom menu smaller, or hide it during normal reading.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:50 AM   #521
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bittybye View Post
I got my Aura this afternoon, so far I love it but is anyone having the problem with Caliber that when you add a book Caliber freezes for a few seconds?
No, not at all. It could be that Calibre is "thinking"??
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:07 AM   #522
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
I could not agree more. These are the two reasons why I do not use kepubs: you cannot get rid of the top menu, and you cannot adjust the line-height below 1.3em. And I wish they would make the bottom menu smaller, or hide it during normal reading.
My sideloaded .epubs that are converted to .kepubs with the Calibre KoboTouch Extended plugin do just this. When reading, the bottom menu disappears, with exception of the page #, and the book title displays at the top of the page. I personally love having both of these displayed as it's more "real" to what you see when reading a dead tree book!
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:34 AM   #523
Fourl29
Connoisseur
Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fourl29 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Does it indeed have a warm white front light, as a poster here said, and as I 've seen in some pictures of it? It would be great to start moving away from the insomnia inducing blue one used by both the kpw and the glo.

I don't mind if it has a yellowish hue, I do mind though if it keeps me up at night as my tablet does via the blue light waves they use. Good reading material should keep us up at night instead, not the colour of the led.
Fourl29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:07 AM   #524
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
That was me. The Kindle doesn't have a blue light. It's quite white, but it looks cold compared to the creamy looking light of the Aura. The Aura has a yellowish light, which is, IMHO, even preferable to perfect white. Still, this is more of a matter of taste than anything.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:09 AM   #525
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
My sideloaded .epubs that are converted to .kepubs with the Calibre KoboTouch Extended plugin do just this. When reading, the bottom menu disappears, with exception of the page #, and the book title displays at the top of the page. I personally love having both of these displayed as it's more "real" to what you see when reading a dead tree book!
Pity... Maybe even I would like it, but in case I don't, I would have welcomed an option to disable it.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote