Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-31-2012, 10:18 PM   #16
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
Succulent's CM10 build v12/31 is out. This is his final build for CM10; his new builds from this point on will be CM10.1 (based on JellyBean 4.2.1), look for them at http://iamafanof.wordpress.com/2012/...k-tablet-1221/).

Last edited by livramax; 12-31-2012 at 10:21 PM.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:53 AM   #17
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by livramax View Post
Succulent's CM10 build v12/31 is out. This is his final build for CM10;
Thanks for the heads up!
I flashed it a few minutes ago, and it has the same nice UI in settings that the 1225 build had, andminus the glitch that made my weather widget look loose the graphics.

Looking really nice! I've got my 1208 backed up safely while I run this for a while.

Yeah, I like new shiny things... (But I'm not switching to 10.1 just yet. I think...)

Last edited by Asawi; 01-01-2013 at 05:24 AM.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2013, 07:39 PM   #18
fljoe
fljoe began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Tablet 16GB
Thanks livramax!

BTW when I make the active partition on the SDCard with MiniTools, what size do you recommend? I will be making a backup of the stock ROM from B&N Nook Tablet. So I have a 4GB card right now, so do you think 1000MB should be enough for the Active partition?

Another question is for the TWRP .. do you just copy "twrp_2220_sd.img" renamed as "recovery.img" to the active partition or do you use WinImage to write the twrp_2220_sd.img to the SDCard?

Sorry for the questions, but just want to be absolutely sure that I am doing the correct thing.

Thanks!
fljoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:32 PM   #19
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

1000MB should be enough, but I am curious as to why you would not just have a single partition cover the whole 4GB disk.

There is no writing img file with WinImage in this process, all the files are to be copied over to the sdcard as a "copy-n-paste" or "copy to folder" operation.

If you aim to use TWRP, rename twrp_2220_sd.img as recovery.img before copy it to sdcard.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:04 PM   #20
fljoe
fljoe began at the beginning.

Great .. another question ... did you root your Nook Tablet before installing the latest 12/31 ROM from succulent or is the ROM already rooted?

If you did root your Nook Tablet, can you please provide instructions on how to do it?

I did read up some stuff on xda and I was hoping that I can download Albert's SDNT16or8gbV4.7.zip file and then use TWRP to install this zip file and then be rooted.

Thanks!
fljoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2013, 07:50 PM   #21
livramax
Addict

Rooting means unlocking full admin control of the tablet. Custom ROMs such CM10 typically come with full admin control (i.e., already "rooted"). Furthermore when installed the custom ROM would replace the stock ROM in whole, hence there is no point in rooting stock ROM if you plan to install CM10 internally.

But in case you'd like to root the stock ROM just to see what it's like to use a rooted NT (I too had done this out of curiosity), I would recommend flashing the update.zip referenced in this post at XDA by liquidzoo as it's more up to date than the rooting package assembled by Albert Wertz.

Also, Albert's SDNT16or8gbV4.7.zip is not an archive file for installation to emmc but rather contains a Rooting SD card image and the disk image writer program to write the image to SD.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:58 PM   #22
Jack9
Jack9 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Tablet 8GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by livramax View Post
Succulent's CM10 build v12/31 is out. This is his final build for CM10; his new builds from this point on will be CM10.1 (based on JellyBean 4.2.1), look for them at http://iamafanof.wordpress.com/2012/...k-tablet-1221/).

You're using CM10 v12/31? The 12/31 file name at
http://iamafanof.wordpress.com/2012/...let-uploading/
is
"cm-10-20121231-NOOKTABLET-acclaim-HD.zip"
Doesn't "HD" mean Nook HD? The 1208 file said "SD/HD". Will the HD file work with the Nook Tablet?

http://iamafanof.wordpress.com/category/nook-2/
There is now CM10.1 (02/02). Could I use this instead, or is CM10 less prone to problems?
If 10.1 would be best, would I use this file:
cm-10.1-20130202-acclaim-HD-SDC.zip

Also, is it OK for an 8GB?
Jack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:17 AM   #23
livramax
Addict

These builds are for the Nook Tablet, both 8GB and 16GB, HD is most likely the Developer's initials.

CM10.1 was first released late December hence it's not as mature as CM10.0, but if you want to flash it internally and try it out then you need to use the file cm-10.1-2013xxyy-zz-acclaim-HD.zip (those files with SDC suffix are for installing and running CM on SDcard).
Old 02-04-2013, 12:35 AM   #24
Jack9
Jack9 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Tablet 8GB
Thanks. Have you tried CM10.1 yet?

To stick with CM10.0, "cm-10-20121231-NOOKTABLET-acclaim-HD.zip" is the correct, most recent file, right?

Also, is it OK to do the back up to the same SD card (8GB), with just one full (8GB) partition, that has the same files used for the flash? And some posts talk about partition size. Is that only a concern when booting CM from the SD instead of eMMC?
Jack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:34 PM   #25
livramax
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack9 View Post
Thanks. Have you tried CM10.1 yet?

To stick with CM10.0, "cm-10-20121231-NOOKTABLET-acclaim-HD.zip" is the correct, most recent file, right?
I am still running CM10.0 ("cm-10-20121231-NOOKTABLET-acclaim-HD.zip") internally and am pretty happy with it -- even with its few annoying quirks (charging and storage related).

I have an earlier version of 10.1 installed on SD but has not played with it much: the handful of new features introduced by JellyBean 4.2 (on which CM10.1 is based) aren't compelling for me to leap onto 10.1 at this point. I'll eventually get on 10.1, sooner rather than later if it incorporates fixes for known bugs left unsolved in 10.0 final.
Quote:
Also, is it OK to do the back up to the same SD card (8GB), with just one full (8GB) partition, that has the same files used for the flash? And some posts talk about partition size. Is that only a concern when booting CM from the SD instead of eMMC?
Yes, I too have a single-partition 8GB card which I use exclusively for backup and flashing ROM on emmc. Boot partition sizing is a consideration only in the case of running CM off an SDCard which entails having 3-4 distinct partitions.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:44 PM   #26
Dapostrophus
Dapostrophus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dapostrophus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dapostrophus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dapostrophus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dapostrophus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dapostrophus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dapostrophus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dapostrophus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dapostrophus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dapostrophus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dapostrophus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I did this, and everything seems to work wonderfully, with one very big exception:

I can't connect to any Wifi networks. It will say Obtaining IP Address for a long time and then try connecting again over and over. I went into the Advanced Wifi settings and found the Wi-fi Region Code set to Europe. I change it to United States, and it keeps going back to Europe. Any way to fix this?
Dapostrophus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:07 AM   #27
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapostrophus View Post
I did this, and everything seems to work wonderfully, with one very big exception:

I can't connect to any Wifi networks. It will say Obtaining IP Address for a long time and then try connecting again over and over. I went into the Advanced Wifi settings and found the Wi-fi Region Code set to Europe. I change it to United States, and it keeps going back to Europe. Any way to fix this?
If it says "Obtaining IP Address" then the radio network has already connected which means that the region code is not causing the problem? The most common cause of problems related to "Obtaining IP Address" are password errors, because password difficulty will cause the data decryption to fail and make obtaining an IP address impossible.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:08 AM   #28
Dapostrophus
Dapostrophus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dapostrophus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dapostrophus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dapostrophus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dapostrophus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dapostrophus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dapostrophus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dapostrophus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dapostrophus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dapostrophus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dapostrophus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not a Password Issue

It's definitely not a password issue. I have 2 home Wifi networks, both with the same password, and a half dozen other devices are all able to connect without issue, as was this particular NT with CM7. It's not a hard password, and I've checked that it is correct around 100 times. Also, I had never heard of the Wifi Region Code thing, but I find it more than a little suspicious that while it won't work, it also happens to be set to Europe and will not change to United States, no matter what I do. Any thoughts on a way around that? By the way, I have flashed CM10 to the device twice thinking maybe there was some kind of error setting it up. The result was exactly the same. Everything else seems to work flawlessly. Just not the Wifi. Which puts a huge damper on the whole thing. Thoughts?
Dapostrophus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:43 AM   #29
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
I'm using CM 10.1 (4.2.2) and I don't have any problem connecting to Wifi (mine's set to WPA2). I noticed that my region was also set to Europe, so that doesn't matter...
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:43 AM   #30
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
It's definitely not a password issue. I have 2 home Wifi networks, both with the same password, and a half dozen other devices are all able to connect without issue, as was this particular NT with CM7. It's not a hard password, and I've checked that it is correct around 100 times.
I did not say that you had the wrong password, but that you had a password issue since the radio was apparently working fine. The very last step in the WiFi connection protocol is "Obtaining IP Address" from the router. For that step to be reach the radio must establish a connection on an agreed upon channel, then process the access password to enable data decryption, and once data can be decrypted the mobile requests an IP address to join the network. If the decryption key is not correct, the request for a IP address will not be decrypted by the router and the router will sit there patiently waiting for the final step from the mobile, which cannot happen because the data is not correctly decrypted. One easy way to check that is to TEMPORARILY turn off encryption so that data is not encrypted between the mobile and the router. If that works then you have significantly narrowed down the problem.

Quote:
Also, I had never heard of the Wifi Region Code thing, but I find it more than a little suspicious that while it won't work, it also happens to be set to Europe and will not change to United States, no matter what I do. Any thoughts on a way around that?
The fact that you cannot switch does point to a possible software defect in your Android WiFi system. The Europe code "thing" mainly adds two extra WiFi channels since the USA only has 11 channels and the rest of the world has 13. The 11 USA channels are also in the Europe channels so your Nook should be able to connect to your USA router.
Reference

Quote:
By the way, I have flashed CM10 to the device twice thinking maybe there was some kind of error setting it up. The result was exactly the same. Everything else seems to work flawlessly. Just not the Wifi. Which puts a huge damper on the whole thing. Thoughts?
I have set up CM10 internally on two Nook Tablets (no SD kludge), so I am sure that the CM10 version that I downloaded does not have the problem that you are having. I know that is not much consolation, but if you are using a "nightly" maybe try downloading a stable version?
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote