Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-07-2012, 08:30 PM   #1
jtdolphins
Zealot
jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipod touch, Kindle3
Keeping track of books and notes about books

Last year I did the 100 book challenge. I enjoyed it, but at times I felt like I wasn't reading for enjoyment.

My goal for this year is to take notes on the books I am reading or write a short review. I am thinking notes for the nonfiction and a short review for the fiction.

I can't figure out a good way to handle the notes part. I have a list in MacJournal with the books I read in a year, listing title, author and pages. I set up another Journal with the notes.

I have been using MacJournal for a long time. The mobil app sucks. I have no complaints about the desktop app.

Something about my system is bothering. I think it could be better. Not sure if its the program or organization.

Anyone have any suggestions for programs to look at.

I have looked at

Evernote - I like the program and used a lot when I worked. Tags and search work great. I don't like writing in it though, it works best as note taking. Its to busy, but the app works great. If I could upgrade get rid of the ads without a monthly payment then I would.

Google Docs - I want something that doesn't require and internet connection.

Pages and Word - I like how everything is contained inside MacJournal and evernote.
jtdolphins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:09 PM   #2
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
How about goodreads?
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:05 AM   #3
jtdolphins
Zealot
jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nice site. First time I have visited it, I see why its mentioned a lot. I do like the recommendation feature. Two draw backs. One you have to be connected to the internet, like google docs. Also, its not on my computer.

Is there a way to export your notes on all books? Its seems to only export the list of books.

Really liked the site, so I may start using it. Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:11 AM   #4
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I keep an excel spreadsheet of books read, as well as making some sort of comment on almost all of them at Goodreads - even if it's just a sentence or two.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:57 AM   #5
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdolphins View Post
Nice site. First time I have visited it, I see why its mentioned a lot. I do like the recommendation feature. Two draw backs. One you have to be connected to the internet, like google docs. Also, its not on my computer.

Is there a way to export your notes on all books? Its seems to only export the list of books.

Really liked the site, so I may start using it. Thanks for the recommendation.
LibraryThing will let you export. It is more flexible.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:11 AM   #6
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Maybe they are a little bit too big for your needs but I like to German programs that do literary management: Citavi and Litlink (www.citavi.de, www.litlink.ch). Litlink is free with no limits, Citavi is free for projects up to 100 books. They both have an English version.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:02 PM   #7
jtdolphins
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Tyson View Post
LibraryThing will let you export. It is more flexible.
Library thing looks great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Maybe they are a little bit too big for your needs but I like to German programs that do literary management: Citavi and Litlink (www.citavi.de, www.litlink.ch). Litlink is free with no limits, Citavi is free for projects up to 100 books. They both have an English version.
Litlink looks very promising too.

I will spend more time tonight with Litlink and Library Thing after the games are over. I am thinking I might use both.

Everyone.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:59 PM   #8
Margrete
Connoisseur
Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.

Device: pixelar ebookreader (Hanlin V3)
I like Book Collector from collectorz.com. It's more of a database software (not free) to catalog your books, but they do have a place to write in notes for each book.
Margrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:49 PM   #9
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I like Delicious Library.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:52 PM   #10
jtdolphins
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margrete View Post
I like Book Collector from collectorz.com. It's more of a database software (not free) to catalog your books, but they do have a place to write in notes for each book.
It doesn't really work for me. I did check that out earlier, because I use their comic book program. They do have some of the best customer support.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:55 PM   #11
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margrete View Post
I use this software too. It's great. I also have the mobile app, which is good as I always have my book catalogue with me, so it's useful for checking things up when I'm on the go.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:09 PM   #12
jtdolphins
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
Already use DL to keep track of my stuff. You can't write notes or keep a yearly log of reading progress in the program. Nice program for cataloging your things.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:34 PM   #13
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdolphins View Post
Already use DL to keep track of my stuff. You can't write notes or keep a yearly log of reading progress in the program. Nice program for cataloging your things.
You can add notes to the books in the details tab.

I make a new shelf each year for my READ IN 20XX lists.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:22 AM   #14
apbschmitz
Lord of Frogtown
apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Here's a second for LibraryThing, which allows you to review or comment on books that you list within your library. Plus, I find that its list of recommended titles, based on your library, is quite accurate and helpful. In addition there's a book giveaway feature with a number of titles both from traditional publishers and self-published authors.
apbschmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:46 PM   #15
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
For note-taking on an Android, I love Mobisle Notes. It has linkage to Google Docs, but you don't have to be online to use the program -- it will sync your stuff later when it gets a connection. Very nice note app.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote