Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-07-2011, 07:34 PM   #31
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I'll be curious to find out what they did in the book formatting to make the page numbers usable in the book.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:34 PM   #32
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
This is just getting ridiculous. There's nothing "embarrassing" about this upgrade. It doesn't match exactly what this person or that person wants, it doesn't do much at all for me, but the criticism on this forum just gets way out of hand sometimes.
You are entitled to your opinion and everyone else in entitled to theirs. If we want to rant about the upgrade we can. Nobody is holding a gun to your head making you read it.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:37 PM   #33
Kenneth_irl
Addict
Kenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kindle 3 + Paperwhite 7th gen
Quote:
This is just getting ridiculous. There's nothing "embarrassing" about this upgrade. It doesn't match exactly what this person or that person wants, it doesn't do much at all for me, but the criticism on this forum just gets way out of hand sometimes.
Criticism and conflicting opinions is to be expected amongst humans. Still, that's your opinion.
Kenneth_irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:39 PM   #34
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
You are entitled to your opinion and everyone else in entitled to theirs. If we want to rant about the upgrade we can. Nobody is holding a gun to your head making you read it.
And I'm fully entitled to call the over-the-top criticism silly, and I can too, since no one is forcing you to reply to my posts either.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:42 PM   #35
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_irl View Post
Criticism and conflicting opinions is to be expected amongst humans. Still, that's your opinion.
Yep, of course I kind of expected it really. When Amazon introduced ebook sharing we got multiple pages of people complaining that they weren't giving us ePub support instead.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:51 PM   #36
Daveoc64
Groupie
Daveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (LTE)
The "Before you Go" feature isn't as annoying as I was expecting.

It would be pretty hard to "accidentally" share something about a book.

It also appears simply as an additional page in the book - rather than a popup.

If you go to the last "page" of your book, then press the next page button the "Before you Go" feature will show up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-27120.gif
Views:	440
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	66300   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-27121.gif
Views:	484
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	66301   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-27122.gif
Views:	441
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	66302  
Daveoc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:53 PM   #37
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
so does this update break the screensaver hack or not?
there doesn't seem to be a consensus.
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:54 PM   #38
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
And I'm fully entitled to call the over-the-top criticism silly, and I can too, since no one is forcing you to reply to my posts either.
Hey!! Quit criticizing my criticism of your criticism of my criticism!

Last edited by wvcherrybomb; 02-07-2011 at 07:55 PM. Reason: I'm illiterate
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:16 PM   #39
luvhilndr
Connoisseur
luvhilndr is faster than slow light.luvhilndr is faster than slow light.luvhilndr is faster than slow light.luvhilndr is faster than slow light.luvhilndr is faster than slow light.luvhilndr is faster than slow light.luvhilndr is faster than slow light.luvhilndr is faster than slow light.luvhilndr is faster than slow light.luvhilndr is faster than slow light.luvhilndr is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Voyage
I downloaded and installed the update this afternoon and I'm very underwhelmed. I couldn't find a single book that the new page number feature worked on. I didn't try out the other new features and probably never will but I did go into settings to shut off the Note Sharing.

The good news is that it didn't break the screensaver hack. I still have my Supernatural photos there to drool over.
luvhilndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:33 PM   #40
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvhilndr View Post
I downloaded and installed the update this afternoon and I'm very underwhelmed. I couldn't find a single book that the new page number feature worked on. I didn't try out the other new features and probably never will but I did go into settings to shut off the Note Sharing.

The good news is that it didn't break the screensaver hack. I still have my Supernatural photos there to drool over.
I'd make sure to connect and do a
[Home] -> [menu] -> [sync and check for new items]
before looking for page numbers.

They say 10s of thousands are already done... plus all of the top 100 best sellers.
I see some that have them now, like the books in G.R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series, and some that don't.

I expect they'll put a rush on best sellers and anything aimed at academic use.

That's great news that it didn't break the screensaver hack.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:36 PM   #41
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
I thought about updating but the only books I need page numbers for wouldn't have them anyway because there's no paper version, plus I get a ton of books from sites other than Amazon. Someone in the other firmware update thread said their Kindle seems faster, both regular use and the browser, and if that's true it might be worth updating.

I've heard that though it doesn't break the jailbreak and SS hack if it's already installed, the current jailbreak won't work after the update.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:37 PM   #42
riker147
riker147 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by bZkindle View Post

On my K3 it did NOT break the screen saver hack. My screen savers are showing up just like before I installed the update.
riker147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:38 PM   #43
physics
Enthusiast
physics will become famous soon enoughphysics will become famous soon enoughphysics will become famous soon enoughphysics will become famous soon enoughphysics will become famous soon enoughphysics will become famous soon enoughphysics will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle DX
Hi-

Would one of you kind people please check to see if perhaps this update fixes the problem with viewing the letter beta in pdfs? There's a pdf with the letter beta in it at this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...+subscript+pdf

(I have a dx, so I can't check myself. :-( .)
Thank you very much!
physics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:41 PM   #44
CrayWolf
Enthusiast
CrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with others

Device: Kindle3 Wifi
Quote:
Seems to me the consensus is this:
If you already installed the hacks, it won't break or remove them.

If you uninstall the hacks, or
haven't installed them, you will not be able to after installing 3.1 (at least, not until someone fixes them).

I'm assuming that if this update broke the installers, it also probably broke the uninstallers too, so be mindful of that too.
CrayWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:49 PM   #45
fulltimer
Enthusiast
fulltimer has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenfulltimer has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenfulltimer has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenfulltimer has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenfulltimer has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenfulltimer has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenfulltimer has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenfulltimer has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenfulltimer has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenfulltimer has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenfulltimer has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: K2, K3(3G-WIFI), Fire
Quote:
Didn't interfere with the screensaver or the font hack on my K3.

don
fulltimer is offline   Reply With Quote