Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-07-2010, 08:32 PM   #1
gregcd
Connoisseur
gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: prs-t1, prs-650 to sell
Alternative to Caecilia

This is Lexia DaMa, all four basic variations are on the fontpark site for free. It's a bit taller than caecilia, but a similar style.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen100.jpg
Views:	2261
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	59534   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen101.jpg
Views:	1860
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	59535  
gregcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 01:58 AM   #2
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
ooh, that is pretty close, thanks for this. Works well and the italic is nice too.

I have been using Grandesign Neue serif and this too is quite close.

Last edited by babyd; 10-08-2010 at 03:09 AM.
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2010, 04:08 AM   #3
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregcd View Post
This is Lexia DaMa, all four basic variations are on the fontpark site for free. It's a bit taller than caecilia, but a similar style.
Great find.

I did try Caecilia on my reader, but due to hinting info, that doesn't suit my PocketBook reader the result doesn't look good.
I have a few favorite fonts on my reader, but I am always looking for something even better. One of my favorite fonts is dejavu serif, that has nice blocky serifs. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:De...ifSpecimen.svg http://dejavu-fonts.org/wiki/Main_Page . The problem is, dejavu is not strictly slab-serif, because the thickness of strokes varies. Your find is much better in that regard.

I have just compared Caecilia and Lexia DaMa and most of the characters are almost identical. Only w, b and g are notably different, and I like Lexia version of those characters much more than Caecilia. Lexia is a little bit bolder, which is a plus again.

I can't wait to try it out. Thanks again.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 04:29 AM   #4
Jonimeesermann
Connoisseur
Jonimeesermann began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia e71, Ipod Touch, Sony PRS 300
I've noticed that you have justified ebook there. And since your device says "maybe prs-650 soon", I assumed you use 505. What do you do to get justified and custom font? I can embed font in epub but not justified in my prs-300.
Jonimeesermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:02 PM   #5
micomicon
Enthusiast
micomicon doesn't littermicomicon doesn't littermicomicon doesn't litter

Device: iPad, Sony PRS-505
This is a great find, thanks for sharing.
micomicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2010, 08:41 PM   #6
sbtx99
Zealot
sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi; Red PRS-650; iPod Touch; Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonimeesermann View Post
I've noticed that you have justified ebook there. And since your device says "maybe prs-650 soon", I assumed you use 505. What do you do to get justified and custom font? I can embed font in epub but not justified in my prs-300.
Jonimeesermann - The LRF/LRX format would display with full justification on the prs-505. Although, I'm not sure the pics are of a 505; the placement of the battery icon is not the same as it is on the 505.
sbtx99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:10 AM   #7
soloist66
Enthusiast
soloist66 might easily be mistaken for a Texansoloist66 might easily be mistaken for a Texansoloist66 might easily be mistaken for a Texansoloist66 might easily be mistaken for a Texansoloist66 might easily be mistaken for a Texansoloist66 might easily be mistaken for a Texansoloist66 might easily be mistaken for a Texansoloist66 might easily be mistaken for a Texansoloist66 might easily be mistaken for a Texansoloist66 might easily be mistaken for a Texansoloist66 might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kindle PW11, iPad Air
Gregcd, thanks for posting those Lexia Ma Da samples. I finally managed to use the instructions from the-ebook-reader.com on how to add fonts to a Sony Reader --using the Lexia Ma Da fonts. Although I prefer the way the Sony font looks -- Lexia Ma Da is a better font for eReading -- clean, clear and dark.

Next time I do some fiddling around like this though, I probably shouldn't start at 11pm at night. I had to fix a lot of typos before I could get it working right!
soloist66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 06:24 AM   #8
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
Looks nice, thanks ! I'll try it in lieu of Caecilia...
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 01:01 PM   #9
elizilla
Addict
elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 650, Sony PRS 350
I just loaded it on a book in my reader and it is indeed easy on the eye! Thanks for the find!
elizilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 05:46 PM   #10
beautifulsoup
Addict
beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many ereaders.
When I tried to open the downloaded Lexia DaMa from fontpark yesterday, I got a "Windows cannot open...invalid file" message.
beautifulsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:18 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregcd View Post
But you can use a line-height CSS command to fix the fact that the y-height is too large.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 04:21 PM   #12
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
I have been using the droid font pretty close to the whole time that I have had my PB360. Just tried this font and it is very nice. Think I've found me a new default font. Thanks and cheers.
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 05:09 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you have a T1, forget Lexia DaMa and use Amasis. Amasis comes on the T1 and you can easily access it from the CSS. There's another thread in the this forum on how to do so.

http://www.fonts.com/findfonts/detai...oductid=214993

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	font-preview.ashx.png
Views:	514
Size:	7.6 KB
ID:	80072  
Old 10-06-2012, 03:30 PM   #14
PageLab
Connoisseur
PageLab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PageLab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PageLab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PageLab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PageLab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PageLab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PageLab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PageLab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PageLab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PageLab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PageLab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, iPad, Nook, Kobo, Positivo Alfa
I know this is an old thread, but I think it's important to add that the Lexia fonts (from Dalton Maag type foundry) offered in the fontpark site aren't really free, in case someone is planning to use it in commercial projects: http://www.daltonmaag.com/buyonline/fonts/lexia
PageLab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:49 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

A nice free font is my modified Charis SIL with smallcaps.

I've darkened this just enough to more readable in lower light. I think it looks good without looking too dark.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?64cse2dshispx08

Last edited by JSWolf; 02-02-2013 at 07:02 PM.