Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-01-2010, 02:57 AM   #1
Alfablue
Alfablue began at the beginning.

Device: None ; ;
Japanese characters?

Hello,
i have a quick questions about sony e-reader. i am learning Japanese at the moment, and have bunch of pdf files to help me with learning japanese.

my first question is; does Sony e-reader support japanese characters? also i know that e-readers are usually not pdf friendly, what happens if i convert the files with japanese text into e-reader friendly file type. will i be able to see the characters or is it going to be bunch of weird symbols. which file type is better to use for Japanese text.

secondly; is there any English<-> Japanese dictioanary for e-books? and does it have some kind of search or find option?

thanks in advance
Alfablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:35 AM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
There are no built-in Japanese fonts, however, PDFs and EPUB files with embedded fonts should work. If you set your PDF generator to Reader's screen size you should be fine.
There is no Japanese dictionary. You can search for any text you can select, typing in is available only for Western languages.
I suggest you to put a bunch of files on an SD card and try how it works in the shop.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:18 AM   #3
darknessangel
Addict
darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, iPad
Only with embedded fonts (speaking about 505) tried myself. Problems with zooming. Not a great experience.
darknessangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:05 PM   #4
Alfablue
Alfablue began at the beginning.

Device: None ; ;
thank you very much for your responds. i think i will take a chance and buy it tomorrow. i need one for reading other stuff anyway. =)
Alfablue is offline   Reply With Quote