Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-05-2010, 05:30 AM   #121
Gurvan
Groupie
Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: En Europe, mais pas loin des Etats-Unis et d'un grand groupe de hard-rock Allemand...
Device: iPhone 6+ and iPad 1 (love them both...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
I have a laptop--and always will as I work at home, when traveling and need the storage space, power for my statistical analysis programs, HD video etc. And netbooks just don't have the power to do that stuff.

So my need is for a reader/net goofing device, video watcher etc. to supplement my laptop. .../...

And as you note, the form factor is much better. It's much more comfortable to hold and read, surf the net etc. on the ipad than having a netbook in your lap. .../...

In any case, I was impressed with the iPad after playing with my girlfriends for a good bit. I'll defintely get some type of tablet device over a netbook. My laptop takes care of my portable computing needs. I need/want something that's more just for media consumption, and tablets are much better for that IMO

But to each their own of course. There's nothing wrong with netbooks, they just don't fit my needs at all. Too underpowered for my computing needs, and don't like laptop form factor for a media consumption device.
The point I kept from that post are exactly the "make or die" points for me... Thank for saying it much better than I could ever say it...

I would add one thing though...

The advent of the iPad is probably going to make one collateral damage for me and Apple (Maybe), the death of the iPhone. I don't foresee too many further use for me of an iPhone when I have an iPad. In fact, I guess that I'll keep the iPhone till it dies and then switch back to a normal phone. Some very basic one on which I can give and receive calls and that's it.
Most of my lightweight, truly "on the move" computing need being fulfilled by the iPad.

Maybe I am mistaken, but...
Gurvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:22 AM   #122
dhiru
Connoisseur
dhiru began at the beginning.

Device: iphone, Irex iliad, sony prs950, kindle Dx, Ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurvan View Post

The advent of the iPad is probably going to make one collateral damage for me and Apple (Maybe), the death of the iPhone. I don't foresee too many further use for me of an iPhone when I have an iPad. In fact, I guess that I'll keep the iPhone till it dies and then switch back to a normal phone. Some very basic one on which I can give and receive calls and that's it.
Most of my lightweight, truly "on the move" computing need being fulfilled by the iPad.

Maybe I am mistaken, but...
I Was thinking on same line. at home i don't like using my laptop, so i use iphone & kindle Dx for my all needs, but after receiving ipad i may not like to use iphone's tiny screen any more. i will use my current iphone 3gs till it lasts and not going to buy any new iphone.
dhiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2010, 09:21 AM   #123
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
I for sure don't think it will be the "death" of the iPhone, but I agree it will make an impact. My wife is already saying when her Palm Pre contract runs out with Sprint, she is just getting a regular cheap phone, and using her iPad.....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 01:32 PM   #124
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Yeah, I've never had any interest in a smartphone, so that's part of the appeal of tablets to me I guess.

Maybe I'd feel less need for one if I had a smart phone and a laptop. But I don't need internet, e-mail etc. on the phone enough to pay for data plans as I'm spend the vast majority of my time at home or at the office, stay in hotels with wifi when I travel etc. so I wouldn't use it enough to justify the $30+ a month for data plans.

But I'm very interested in tablets as a more full featured e-reader, a "surf the net" on the couch" machine, random apps, watching videos in bed etc. And playing around with my girlfriend's iPad this weekend just reaffirmed that I do really want and enjoy using something of that form factor.

Just a matter of waiting a bit, letting more tablets come out, and making sure I get the best one for my needs.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 02:26 PM   #125
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurvan View Post
The advent of the iPad is probably going to make one collateral damage for me and Apple (Maybe), the death of the iPhone.
Me too. When my contract completes in the next month or so, I'm going back to a normal phone and keeping my iPhone as an "ipod touch". Just don't want to pay that $30/mo data fee anymore.

Lee
leebase is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2010, 09:13 PM   #126
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
I for sure don't think it will be the "death" of the iPhone, but I agree it will make an impact. My wife is already saying when her Palm Pre contract runs out with Sprint, she is just getting a regular cheap phone, and using her iPad.....
Interesting. I definitely see myself using a tablet and a smartphone once the right tablet comes along, but I can imagine plenty of people I know doing just what your wife wants to do.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:46 PM   #127
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Marseilles View Post
Interesting. I definitely see myself using a tablet and a smartphone once the right tablet comes along, but I can imagine plenty of people I know doing just what your wife wants to do.
I think that an ipad coupled with a smartphone (like your tp2) is a great solution, especially since you can turn that tp2 into a hotspot. No need to pay outlandish data speeds when one can tether, although I would never do that, Sprint.

Having said that, I went to play with an ipad tonight and fell in love. Thank goodness it had some strong weakenesses that counterbalanced my desire to purchase it! Weaknesses for me would include: paying for a vnc app, paying for a slingbox app, and lack of google doc support. Of course I still may buckle

Last edited by volwrath; 04-07-2010 at 10:49 PM.
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 04:07 AM   #128
Magnesus
Connoisseur
Magnesus is on a distinguished road

Device: Bebook Neo
Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
lack of google doc support
Now thats disappointing!
Magnesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:20 AM   #129
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnesus View Post
Now thats disappointing!
?

iasnt google docs on the web, is it flash?
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:39 AM   #130
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
It is on the web, but reports are that one can not edit google docs from safari. Hopefully a fix will be in the works before too long.
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:12 AM   #131
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Device: *****
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
Depending on how much one uses data and the phone, this can save really HUGE amounts of money. Given that many data plans are expensive, you could easily pay for an iPad (or maybe two) with what you save in a year.

We used to have phones with a good voice plan and basic messaging that cost us about $130/month for two phones. This was w/o data, BTW. We looked at the very small amount of voice time and the zero messaging time we were using, did some calculations, and went to a T-mobile prepaid voice only. $100 for 1000 minutes that are good for a year and then roll over if you buy another 100 minutes for 10 bucks. It works out that it now costs about $28 per YEAR per phone averaged over 5 years.

I use my iPod touch at hotspots for data for zero cost and have a 3G iPad on order that I can use for this but only pay for the 3G when I travel and use it. That plus now I will not need to bring either my iPod touch or my Kindle or my laptop when I travel!

My savings in plans over the last couple years has way more than paid for the iPad.

Last edited by CCDMan; 04-08-2010 at 11:15 AM.
CCDMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:06 PM   #132
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
The iPad is an excellent reader, very interactive. R.I.P. e-ink
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:56 PM   #133
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
I really think that you can't say that with objectivity but I agree that it would fade the eink monopoly away and diversify the "display types" field for readers.

One thing is sure is that now, finally, we have a decent reader for magazines ans coffee table books. Has anybody seen a hint of that last one so far?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:56 PM   #134
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
?

iasnt google docs on the web, is it flash?
Not sure. I think I read you can view documents in google docs, but you can't edit them.

Didn't think to check that myself. I don't make much use of Google docs personally anyway. Just a spreadsheet of Beer ratings myself and a fellow beer loving friend keep updated.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:17 PM   #135
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Device: *****
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
Ipad sounds good and I have one ordered, but it is, by all accounts, way to heavy to hold with one hand and needs to be "propped" on something for lengthy reading. It also is not great in bright light. I do not think these can be solved with present tech.

What we really need is something that:

1) Is as power efficient and lightweight as e-ink
2) Has color display as good as a print magazine or LCD/OLED screen
3) Has fast reaction times for video
4) Can be used either backlit or not, depending on the environment, w/o loss of any of the above characteristics.
5) Is as cheap or cheaper than present tech.

As far as I know, no one is even close to the above.

I plan to use both Kindle and iPad, depending on the content and situation.

Last edited by CCDMan; 04-08-2010 at 08:23 PM.
CCDMan is offline   Reply With Quote