Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 06:06 PM   #226
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I just tried again. I'm finding it impossible to guarantee bringing up the menu.

Anything you can suggest to avoid those moments, of which I'm anticipating many if it's a Qt thing?
3.99.5 on Win 10 1809 works for me with 10 tabs open. How many tabs are open when it doesn't work.

I never knew the feature existed, when I want a 'clean slate' I hold ctrl+w down until they're all gone

BR
Old 09-19-2019, 08:16 PM   #227
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
3.99.5 on Win 10 1809 works for me with 10 tabs open. How many tabs are open when it doesn't work.

I never knew the feature existed, when I want a 'clean slate' I hold ctrl+w down until they're all gone
I'm on Win 10 Home 1903. When I first noticed the problem I probably had about 20+ tabs open and couldn't figure out why the context menu wasn't coming up. Because I had so many open I didn't initially realise I was actually deleting tabs.

When I retested I tried with just a few tabs open, 3-4. It didn't make any difference to my problem. I still haven't figured out if there's a magic tab area where I'll always trigger the menu. It's as if the right-click auto-triggers option 1 on the context menu.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:32 PM   #228
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm on Win 10 Home 1903. When I first noticed the problem I probably had about 20+ tabs open and couldn't figure out why the context menu wasn't coming up. Because I had so many open I didn't initially realise I was actually deleting tabs.

When I retested I tried with just a few tabs open, 3-4. It didn't make any difference to my problem. I still haven't figured out if there's a magic tab area where I'll always trigger the menu. It's as if the right-click auto-triggers option 1 on the context menu.
I think I have it - if I press the right button for a very short length of time (i.e. a light momentary tap) it deletes the tab, if I hold the right button down for a bit I get the menu.

Right click context menu's normally 'pop' when the button is released - the one in question seems to be popping when a the button is held down.

Try press-and-hold the right button down in the message box here - you won't get the popup menu until you release the button. When I used to write windows stuff in 'C++' with the WTL libraries there was a separate event for mouse button down and mouse button up and maybe mouse button hold.

Middle click also deletes current tab.

I'll stick to hold Ctrl+W until there all gone.

BR
Old 09-19-2019, 09:54 PM   #229
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I think I have it - if I press the right button for a very short length of time (i.e. a light momentary tap) it deletes the tab, if I hold the right button down for a bit I get the menu.
Well played, BR! right-click-hold should do the trick.
Old 09-19-2019, 10:25 PM   #230
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
jackie_w, it might be worth trying a new mouse.. This sorta sounds to me like the extra fanthom clicks you can get when mice clickers wear out.
Old 09-20-2019, 02:36 AM   #231
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Well played, BR! right-click-hold should do the trick.
I just tested it on 3.47.1 and 2.85, seems to be the same everywhere, all right click context menus in calibre pop on a long press (I think that's the term). Everything else I tried (Windows, xplorer², notepad++, Chrome, Sigil, Falkon) pop on button up - Sigil and Falkon use Qt. Interesting.

BR
Old 09-21-2019, 01:41 PM   #232
rjwse@aol.com
Addict
rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle epub readers on android
beta installation help

I would like to request help for installation of the latest beta for ubuntu 18.04 gnome. I already have been using 3.47 well, but have had difficulty with installation of the beta. I tried creating a new folder and extracting in it but now cannot run 3.99 from it even with the terminal. I am worried about corrupting setting and losing data. If someone could help me with details I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance, Pop
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2019-09-21 07-23-26.png
Views:	61
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	173606  
Old 09-21-2019, 01:57 PM   #233
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
jackie_w, it might be worth trying a new mouse.. This sorta sounds to me like the extra fanthom clicks you can get when mice clickers wear out.
Sorry to be so late responding to you, I got sidetracked. I don't think my mouse is faulty. Going back to 3.48 my mouse-right-clicking results are restored to their former predicability/reliability
Old 09-21-2019, 02:27 PM   #234
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjwse@aol.com View Post
I would like to request help for installation of the latest beta for ubuntu 18.04 gnome. I already have been using 3.47 well, but have had difficulty with installation of the beta. I tried creating a new folder and extracting in it but now cannot run 3.99 from it even with the terminal. I am worried about corrupting setting and losing data. If someone could help me with details I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance, Pop
First you save the tar not open it with it with achieve manager. Recommend save to home folder.

Use the command Manual binary install or reverting to a previous version from https://calibre-ebook.com/download_linux

Run in a terminal replaced path/to/downloaded with your path.
Code:
sudo mkdir -p /opt/calibre && sudo rm -rf /opt/calibre/* && sudo tar xvf /path/to/downloaded/calibre-tarball.txz -C /opt/calibre && sudo /opt/calibre/calibre_postinstall
On my pc it looks like this:

Code:
sudo mkdir -p /opt/calibre && sudo rm -rf /opt/calibre/* && sudo tar xvf /home/xxxxxxxx**/calibre-3.99.7-x86_64.txz -C /opt/calibre && sudo /opt/calibre/calibre_postinstall
**my username.

This will install over the calibre 3.47, to revert just reinstall 3.47/7 in the regular way.

bernie
Old 09-21-2019, 04:13 PM   #235
rjwse@aol.com
Addict
rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

thank you gbm, That worked good. I appreciate your help. Best regards, Pop
Old 09-21-2019, 04:41 PM   #236
rjwse@aol.com
Addict

Ctrl-T, Ctrl-L, Ctrl-i

Here is a very minor observation. The editor lets you put up screens in a variety of ways. One way is overlaying screens with tabs at the bottom. Or, you can set the screens as vertical strips. It is very personal preference. The 3.99 viewer lets you place main reading screen at center, Ctrl-T table of contents on one side, Ctrl-L lookup on the other side. There is only one other Ctrl-i but a third vertical strip will not be accepted. It can only be bottom-tabbed. Best regards, Pop
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2019-09-21 15-29-01.png
Views:	75
Size:	778.6 KB
ID:	173614   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2019-09-21 15-30-42.png
Views:	70
Size:	482.5 KB
ID:	173615  
Old 09-21-2019, 04:45 PM   #237
rjwse@aol.com
Addict

tap on image in viewer to temporarily enlarge to full screen

I was hoping, and I tried it. Some readers do this.
Old 09-21-2019, 05:18 PM   #238
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjwse@aol.com View Post
I was hoping, and I tried it. Some readers do this.
Right click on the image.

bernie
Old 09-21-2019, 05:19 PM   #239
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I run with the TOC and file browser docked (tabbed) together (it was that way when I started with the beta and it still functions normally). This leave more room for code (I also undock the preview and place it on the other monitor)
I only use the TOC to jump to chapters that have reported errors. I mostly run from the file browser tab. All this is working fine in 3.99.6
Old 09-21-2019, 05:43 PM   #240
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Sorry to be so late responding to you, I got sidetracked. I don't think my mouse is faulty. Going back to 3.48 my mouse-right-clicking results are restored to their former predicability/reliability
Eh - I can't discern any difference between versions 3.47.1 and 3.99 in this regard. In both versions, if I right click and hold the button on an editor tab the context menu pops, elsewhere (e.g. file browser) the context menu pops when I release the button.

Guess what, Sigil's the same! A long press on a CV tab pops the context menu, elsewhere the context menu pops on button up.

Which suggests it's a Qt induced inconsistency.

Because I normally avoid using the mouse I probably perceive differences where others don't.

The calibre editor lacks kb shortcuts for next/previous tabs :-(

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-21-2019 at 05:49 PM.
Closed Thread