Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-14-2016, 01:53 PM   #91
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
My all time favorite musician. I even named my son Dylan. Love his voice. His civil rights protest stuff from the 60's meant a great deal to me n the dark days of apartheid.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 02:23 PM   #92
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMartin View Post
My all time favorite musician. I even named my son Dylan. Love his voice. His civil rights protest stuff from the 60's meant a great deal to me n the dark days of apartheid.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2016, 07:42 PM   #93
ElspethB
Passionate Reader
ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, Kobo Clara HD, Fire HD 8, Voyage, Oasis 3, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I'm stunned, after reading through this entire thread, to see there's no love yet for Blood on the Tracks, his absolutely greatest album. I considered it such when it came out, and according to Rolling Stone, the consensus has come around to my opinion.
I'm with you, Issybird. My favorite Dylan album, and it contains one of my all-time favorite songs, "Tangled Up in Blue."
ElspethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 08:20 PM   #94
grumbles
Addict
grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel (Black), T-2 and 3, Nexus 7
I stand (sit) corrected. For some reason (age?) I thought that I had read that Haruki Murakami had died. All the more reason why he should have received the prize. Thomas Pynchon would not have been inappropriate either.

After I sent my previous reply I though of Patti smith as well. I have her "Patti Smith Complete" on my shelf. But, and I think this was also relevant to the choice of Dylan, Dylan has moved more product than those three together. Dylan's counter-culture creds made his name and reputation. It isn't that I think that Dylan's song writing isn't good, he's written some great songs. It's just that I think that the others have written better songs. For the record, two of my favourite Dylan songs (they vary according to the time of day, phase of the mood etc.) are "Masters of War" and "You've Got to Serve Someone"
grumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 08:32 PM   #95
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I'm not sure the Nobel Prize has to do with who writes the best songs or books. Here's a quote from Alfred Nobel according to Wikipedia: "in the field of literature the most outstanding work in an ideal direction".

There's some discussion of the meaning of "ideal direction". It seems that early on that was taken to refer to idealism but in recent decades it's become more liberal so that it can mean either idealistic or having literary merit.

It's worth reading the article about this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobel_Prize_in_Literature

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2016, 06:30 AM   #96
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I'm stunned, after reading through this entire thread, to see there's no love yet for Blood on the Tracks, his absolutely greatest album. I considered it such when it came out, and according to Rolling Stone, the consensus has come around to my opinion.

That said, I'll always have a weakness for Like a Rolling Stone, the second greatest rock song ever.
Blood on the tracks was my favorite album of Dylan's as well. I think I've had several versions over the years. The actual LP, cassette, CD, a remastered CD, and two different masterings on SACD, one from MOFI. Great stuff.

I'm also a big fan of the work he did with Harrison, Orbison, and Petty on the Traveling Wilbury's
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 06:34 AM   #97
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
Blood on the tracks was my favorite album of Dylan's as well. I think I've had several versions over the years. The actual LP, cassette, CD, a remastered CD, and two different masterings on SACD, one from MOFI. Great stuff.
The version you really need is the half-speed mastered vinyl, of course. It's the only one that runs at the proper speed.

http://www.expectingrain.com/discuss...hp?f=6&t=42949

http://shrinky.net/2011/music/bob-dy...ry#comment-548

Last edited by doubleshuffle; 10-15-2016 at 06:52 AM.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 09:30 AM   #98
pynch
why in?
pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
The version you really need is the half-speed mastered vinyl, of course. It's the only one that runs at the proper speed.
It goes without saying that this goes without saying, of course.
pynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 11:22 AM   #99
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
"The song "Highway 61 Revisited," the title track from the album released in August 1965 — what do we know from this period in terms of his style?

Well, it's the Book of Genesis, right? It's the story of Abraham and Isaac and he's turning it into something that's very, very new. He's talking about Highway 61 ... a highway that runs right through the middle of America, all the way from Minnesota down to the Deep South. So, starting with the Bible. You know, this terrifying story of Abraham — who happens to be his father's name too, so when he's talking about "God said to Abraham, 'Kill me a son,'" yikes, it gets a little personal maybe, too. But he is telling a whole song about what's going on in America in his time through the idiom of the Bible. Rock 'n' roll, folk, it's all there."

http://www.npr.org/2016/10/13/497849...rary-alchemist
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 05:07 AM   #100
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Bill Murray, genius.

Old 10-16-2016, 07:09 AM   #101
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post

http://www.expectingrain.com/discuss...hp?f=6&t=42949

http://shrinky.net/2011/music/bob-dy...ry#comment-548
Yea, for some reason all commercial versions of BOTT were released at 2% faster than the artist intended, with the exception of a 1981 vinyl release. I had hoped that MOFI would have corrected that with the latest release, but did not.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 05:27 PM   #102
william z
Connoisseur
william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I personally think they should keep music and literature separated, but what do you expect from a prize organization named after the inventor of dynamite. But just like most other awards organizations, the awards or the opinions of a very few people. I don't really care who wins a Nobel, Oscar, Grammy, or most any other awards based on the opinions a few people. Other than the Fickle Finger of Fate award, they are all pretty much meaningless IMO.
I agree with you 100%. All of those awards are only based on the opinions of a few people, and I am sure we have all read books, seen movies or heard songs that never won any awards that were better than some of the ones that did.

Literature and music should be separate and there is no way song lyrics should win a prize for literature.
william z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 05:41 PM   #103
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by william z View Post
Literature and music should be separate and there is no way song lyrics should win a prize for literature.
But what if the song lyrics happen to be literature? There are serious producers of "proper" literature who consider Dylan a serious poet. Look at what Paul Muldoon has to say on the subject:

Quote:
A particular favorite is “Early Roman Kings.” It’s from “Tempest,” his thirty-fifth album, which was released in 2012. I mention the date because a mark of the great artist is surely his capacity to stay the course. I’m certain that’s one of the components the Nobel committee is rewarding with today’s announcement:

All the early Roman kings
In their sharkskin suits
Bow ties and buttons
High top boots
Drivin’ the spikes in
Blazin’ the rails
Nailed in their coffins
In top hats and tails

Here Dylan rather brilliantly combines a version of the Roman empire with the railroad and steel moguls who provided the infrastructure of the American empire, as well as a version of a Puerto Rican gang from the Bronx, as well as a self-portrait of the artist in his natty stage gear! This is the artist who continues to fiddle while America burns, not out of negligence but out of sheer need:

Bring down my fiddle
Tune up my strings
I’m gonna break it wide open
Like the early Roman kings
http://www.newyorker.com/books/page-...e-dylan-lyrics
Old 10-16-2016, 05:53 PM   #104
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by william z View Post
I agree with you 100%. All of those awards are only based on the opinions of a few people, and I am sure we have all read books, seen movies or heard songs that never won any awards that were better than some of the ones that did.

I don't see how they should be separated. The "music" is the instruments the words are set to. The literature is the words. Words are lit. The words to the song are still meaningful if not set to music.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 06:07 PM   #105
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
I don't see how they should be separated. The "music" is the instruments the words are set to. The literature is the words. Words are lit. The words to the song are still meaningful if not set to music.
Well, not really, and certainly not always. You may have heard of a cappella or talking songs or chants or rap.
Music is a distinct and different art form, and the words are often an integral and inseperable part of a particular whole.
Even when the lyricist is a poet, there are different considerations and sensibilities involved in making a song lyrics vs making a poem, let alone prose.
There is reason that Paul Simon didn't just set the words of the poem Richard Cory to music as-is when he wrote the song.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote