Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-13-2016, 01:27 PM   #46
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
My favourite lyrics are from I Want You.
Yeah.

The guilty undertaker sighs,
the lonesome organ grinder cries...
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 01:40 PM   #47
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I loved the Battlestar Galactica usage of that last one. Brilliant move by the writers!
I never saw the series, so I don't know anything about that use.

I like to listen to Hendrix's version of All Along the Watchtower while reading Poe's Masque of the Red Death. For some reason, the two stories are meant for each other.

Quote:
All along the watchtower
Princes kept the view
While all the women came and went
Barefoot servants, too
Outside in the cold distance
A wildcat did growl
Two riders were approaching
And the wind began to howl
Quote:
And now was acknowledged the presence of the Red Death. He had come like a thief in the night. And one by one dropped the revellers in the blood-bedewed halls of their revel, and died each in the despairing posture of his fall. And the life of the ebony clock went out with that of the last of the gay. And the flames of the tripods expired. And Darkness and Decay and the Red Death held illimitable dominion over all.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2016, 01:42 PM   #48
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
OMG, thank you! I was starting to think it was just me who felt that way.
We're still a minority
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 01:42 PM   #49
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
Subterranean Homesick Blues
One of my most memorable English classes in high school was when we studied the lyrics of that song.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 01:44 PM   #50
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I am still very disappointed that Murakami didn't win. Dylan is great, and I don't mean to lessen him in any way, but I am really ready for Murakami's win. I realize his chances of winning go down every year the odds list him higher and higher as THE favorite, but I think its long overdue.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2016, 01:47 PM   #51
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I realize his chances of winning go down every year the odds list him higher and higher as THE favorite, but I think its long overdue.
Why would his chances go down every year?
I'm just asking in general, I don't know his work.
I'd have figured that as a work proves to hold up over time, and it's importance is recognized by more and more people, then the chances would go up, no?
Old 10-13-2016, 02:05 PM   #52
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Why would his chances go down every year?
I'm just asking in general, I don't know his work.
I'd have figured that as a work proves to hold up over time, and it's importance is recognized by more and more people, then the chances would go up, no?
His "betting odds" keep going up and people keep being less and less surprised when he doesn't win.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 02:13 PM   #53
ApK

Quote:
His "betting odds" keep going up and people keep being less and less surprised when he doesn't win.
People bet on Nobel Prizes?
I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
Old 10-13-2016, 02:24 PM   #54
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
I am still very disappointed that Murakami didn't win. Dylan is great, and I don't mean to lessen him in any way, but I am really ready for Murakami's win. I realize his chances of winning go down every year the odds list him higher and higher as THE favorite, but I think its long overdue.
I agree with you about Murakami deserving the recognition. I'm concerned though that at some point he will cease to be given serious consideration. In my opinion though his extensive body of work, especially my two favorites Norwegian Wood and Kafka on the Shore, alone would justify the prize. Time well tell.

Last edited by Hamlet53; 10-13-2016 at 03:14 PM.
Old 10-13-2016, 02:38 PM   #55
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
I am in with tubemonkey and ApK on he is a great songwriter but a lousy singer.
I think one of his prettiest songs is Knocking on Heaven's Door.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 02:51 PM   #56
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I personally think they should keep music and literature separated, but what do you expect from a prize organization named after the inventor of dynamite. But just like most other awards organizations, the awards or the opinions of a very few people. I don't really care who wins a Nobel, Oscar, Grammy, or most any other awards based on the opinions a few people. Other than the Fickle Finger of Fate award, they are all pretty much meaningless IMO.
from S&G
"A Poet and a one man band"

Dylans songs have Words. That make him wear 2 hats.

(MR already allow Graphic Novels, which has ... , Pictures. It also allow Audio books which has Sound. So what else does not belong here? them?)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 03:04 PM   #57
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I'm stunned, after reading through this entire thread, to see there's no love yet for Blood on the Tracks, his absolutely greatest album. I considered it such when it came out, and according to Rolling Stone, the consensus has come around to my opinion.

That said, I'll always have a weakness for Like a Rolling Stone, the second greatest rock song ever.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 03:06 PM   #58
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I am in with tubemonkey and ApK on he is a great songwriter but a lousy singer.
I think one of his prettiest songs is Knocking on Heaven's Door.
That's one of our signature songs at my monthly jam session.
Old 10-13-2016, 03:44 PM   #59
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I don't see any particular reason poetry should not be literature simply because it was set to music.

And if it is literature then it should be possible for good works to win a prize in literature.

(I'm not expressing a opinion on the merits of this particular body of work due to unfamiliarity)
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 03:45 PM   #60
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I'm stunned, after reading through this entire thread, to see there's no love yet for Blood on the Tracks, his absolutely greatest album. I considered it such when it came out, and according to Rolling Stone, the consensus has come around to my opinion.

That said, I'll always have a weakness for Like a Rolling Stone, the second greatest rock song ever.
I love that album, but have more love for Blonde on Blonde. I would say that the former has better stories, but the latter better poetry (and is more upbeat).
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote