Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-24-2016, 06:40 AM   #1
Baz Praz
Baz Praz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Problem with calibre-parallel.exe - Calibre or Avast???

I've been using Calibre for several years now without any problems - UNTIL RECENTLY.

Since the installation of v2.56 64bit - everytime that I start Calibre, Avast analyses calibre-parallel.exe.

I installed v2.57 64bit and got the same problems.

If I click on a book to read it - I get the message "calibre-parallel: calibre-parallel.exe - Application Error"
&
The instruction at *** referenced memory at *** The memory could not be written.

A similar problem arises if I try to add a book - Avast analyses calibre-parallel.exe and calibre produces the following message:-

calibre, version 2.57.0
ERROR: Errors while adding: Failed to add any books, click "Show details" for more information
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Failed to add the book: *** ***
F:\***.epub
With error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\add.py", line 371, in add_book
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: u'G:\\Swap & Temp\\calibre_525c8i\\emzx0h_add_books\\0.cdata'

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Failed to add the book: *** ***
F:\***.epub
With error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\add.py", line 371, in add_book
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: u'G:\\Swap & Temp\\calibre_525c8i\\emzx0h_add_books\\1.cdata'
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I've tried uninstalling -including removal all remaining folders - and reinstalling from scratch with no improvement.

PLEASE - can anybody suggest what I can try next?

Baz
Baz Praz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:14 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Try excluding the calibre Program Files directory from Avast's scanning.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2016, 05:23 PM   #3
Baz Praz

Hi eschwartz

Thanks for the suggestion - unfortunately, it didn't make any difference.

Baz
Old 05-24-2016, 09:10 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Uninstall avast
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 01:26 AM   #5
Baz Praz

Hi kovidgoyal

I know which of the two (Calibre and Avast) I prefer to keep - CALIBRE!

Before I switch from Avast - are there any other Internet Security packages that I need to avoid?

Very best regards

Baz
Advert
Old 05-25-2016, 01:40 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I usually just recommend people use the anti-virus that comes builtin with windows, from Microsoft. There is no need to spend extra money ona third party solution.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:02 AM   #7
Baz Praz

Many thanks for your advice.

Baz
Old 02-08-2017, 02:47 PM   #8
NSILMike
Guru
NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Lenovo Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Uninstall avast
I know this is an old thread.... I found it by searching on Avast. There was a program update available today (17.1.2286) and it (falsely, I hope) tripped on calibre-parallel. It 'found' idp.generic.

Also, your advice to rely on the free windows antivirus is risky. There are much better options (and free such as avast and avg.)
NSILMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 04:20 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSILMike View Post
I know this is an old thread.... I found it by searching on Avast. There was a program update available today (17.1.2286) and it (falsely, I hope) tripped on calibre-parallel. It 'found' idp.generic.
See ==>> My antivirus program claims calibre is a virus/trojan?

Have you raised a support ticket with Avast?

Quote:
Also, your advice to rely on the free windows antivirus is risky. There are much better options (and free such as avast and avg.)
I disinfect a dozen or more PCs a year. The majority of which are supposedly protected by the likes of avg, avast, trend micro, symantec etc, quite often the annual subscription version, but very few are supposedly protected by MSE.

I don't claim for a moment that this proves mse is 'less risky' than the others.

Instead, I suggest that mse users are less likely to click hither and thither, especially on email attachments which is where the worst of the malware comes from. In part at least, because they are not misled into a false sense of security by the often extravagant claims of the AV vendors.

The best AV is AC - Abundant Caution.

There was a time when I would say the best firewall was air - until WiFi came along

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-08-2017 at 04:23 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 05:06 PM   #10
NSILMike
Guru
NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
See ==>> My antivirus program claims calibre is a virus/trojan?

Have you raised a support ticket with Avast?
Mike-> Yes.

I disinfect a dozen or more PCs a year. The majority of which are supposedly protected by the likes of avg, avast, trend micro, symantec etc, quite often the annual subscription version, but very few are supposedly protected by MSE.
Mike->There are objective testing services. MSE used to be pretty good but now is no better than average. I'd suggest folks read the reviews in things like PC Magazine and make their own decision.

I don't claim for a moment that this proves mse is 'less risky' than the others.

Instead, I suggest that mse users are less likely to click hither and thither, especially on email attachments which is where the worst of the malware comes from. In part at least, because they are not misled into a false sense of security by the often extravagant claims of the AV vendors.

The best AV is AC - Abundant Caution.

There was a time when I would say the best firewall was air - until WiFi came along

BR
Often the best firewall is a router...
Old 02-08-2017, 10:05 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Third party antivirus software is often the biggest security hole in windows. This is because it consists of large bodies of unaduited code, with very poor engineering prcatices running with elevated privileges that does insane things like injecting itself into other programs.
Just google for window antivirus security holes and see the long history of security bugs in antivirus programs, many of them far worse than the viruses they are supposed to be protecting you from.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:52 AM   #12
NSILMike
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Third party antivirus software is often the biggest security hole in windows. This is because it consists of large bodies of unaduited code, with very poor engineering prcatices running with elevated privileges that does insane things like injecting itself into other programs.
Just google for window antivirus security holes and see the long history of security bugs in antivirus programs, many of them far worse than the viruses they are supposed to be protecting you from.
In the USA, at least, there are several highly respected independent 3rd party labs that evaluate antivirus software. Those I'm aware of include Virus Bulletin, Simon Edwards Labs, AV-Test Institute, and AV-Comparatives.
Old 02-09-2017, 04:29 PM   #13
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
In the USA, at least, there are several highly respected independent 3rd party labs that evaluate antivirus software. Those I'm aware of include Virus Bulletin, Simon Edwards Labs, AV-Test Institute, and AV-Comparatives.
As far as I know those simply check how effective they are at detecting known viruses. They never see the source code to check how well it is written.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 04:41 PM   #14
NSILMike
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
As far as I know those simply check how effective they are at detecting known viruses. They never see the source code to check how well it is written.
No, they also do heuristics and behavior tests. But, we don't need to debate this. If someone is satisfied with MSE, good for them. My only point was that MSE is regularly beaten by a few paid and free alternatives. If you're satisfied with MSE, stick with it.
Old 02-24-2017, 03:38 PM   #15
NSILMike
Guru

Quote:

Happening again, with the new version of Calibre (2.80 and the 64-bit version.)

I'm quite comfortable adding this to the Avast exclusions (Malwarebytes makes no similar detection) so am posting this so Kovid can consider why 2 updates in a row generate this false positive. It may be possible to correct....

Last edited by NSILMike; 02-24-2017 at 04:36 PM.