Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-18-2014, 12:25 AM   #1
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
Desktop - Stop Automatic Downloads

For the Kobo Desktop for Windows is there a way to stop it from automatically downloading all the books?

I want to be able to pick and choose what to download.
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 04:35 AM   #2
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
The only way I've found to do this is by using an email address for my device/desktop which I never use to buy books with. I can still update the device through the Desktop if I choose doing this.

It suits me because I only use Calibre cleaned epubs on my Glo, and not the kepubs, so I never have to sync. (I could use a plugin to convert my epubs to kepubs if I wanted, but I don't)

It's not a solution though if you do want to sync your device with your desktop and download kepubs directly; or if you want to buy books directly from your device to the bookstore.

I'd be keen on hearing if one can selectively download kepubs as well.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2014, 07:36 AM   #3
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Offtopic but related also...
Is it possilbe to stop the forced automatic update of the Desktop app.

Everytime a new updated is released you must install the new update before you can use the Desktop app. There is no option for "not now"/"later".
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:45 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The desktop app should download all books that are in you library except those that are in the trash. You need to do that on the web site.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 06:46 AM   #5
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The desktop app should download all books that are in you library except those that are in the trash. You need to do that on the web site.
I really really don't understand this. Why in the world should I have to put a book in the trash in order to keep it off of my device?? This is one of the reasons I don't buy books from Kobo or use the desktop software. I really do love my Aura HD--it's become my main reading device lately. I just really really HATE the kobo website.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2014, 07:24 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
I really really don't understand this. Why in the world should I have to put a book in the trash in order to keep it off of my device??
You don't have to put it in the trash to keep it off the device. On the device, long press on the book in the library list and select "Remove". It then prompts you with two options, "eReader" or "Kobo Account".

For the desktop app, once a book has been downloaded, it can be removed in the same way. There just isn't a way to prevent that first download except putting it in the trash on the site.

Quote:
This is one of the reasons I don't buy books from Kobo or use the desktop software. I really do love my Aura HD--it's become my main reading device lately. I just really really HATE the kobo website.
Yes, the site is bad. The search is bad, the library management is basic. But, they sell me books at a price I am generally happy with, so they get my custom. When I'm not happy with the price, someone else gets my money.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote