Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-02-2013, 11:58 AM   #1
At_Libitum
Addict
At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KyBook
request: Column heading name for long text fields

I've got a small request.

I did not notice these inconsistencies at first because I did not much use the other access methods to access Calibre's data. And because I was not aware of this.

I am using more than one long text custom column besides the default Comments field. By default these fields do not show their column heading in the book details panel on the right in Calibre, making it difficult to see which of the comment fields the contains the shown content.

To alleviate this I had formatted all my comment fields such that they showed a column heading in Cailbre's Book Details just like the other fields.

But now that I am making much more use of the OPDS feed and content server, I notice all my formatting looking pretty stupid because in these alternative outputs these fields show their own Column heading AND my inserted custom headings.

So my question is: could the column heading name for comment fields (long text not shown in tag browser) always be made to show? Wherever they may turn up?

Currently it depends on where you look if the heading is shown or not.

When you access the OPDS feed it is always shown for long text custom columns, but not for the default comments in details view

On the Content server it is also always shown for custom fields AND for the default comments field in the Details link.

This makes it a bit difficult to prevent output looking 'strange' and would also help in judging to better make distinction between the various comment fields.
At_Libitum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:40 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by At_Libitum View Post
I've got a small request.

I am using more than one long text custom column besides the default Comments field. By default these fields do not show their column heading in the book details panel on the right in Calibre, making it difficult to see which of the comment fields the contains the shown content.

To alleviate this I had formatted all my comment fields such that they showed a column heading in Cailbre's Book Details just like the other fields.

So my question is: could the column heading name for comment fields (long text not shown in tag browser) always be made to show? Wherever they may turn up?

Currently it depends on where you look if the heading is shown or not.
I ran into the same 'problem" and applied a similar solution - paste a heading into top of the comment - I have them as permanent items in my paste buffer.

However, the Column names I use are 'meaningless' single characters like 'M' and 'T' because they are represented on the spreadsheet by an icon with no text. My thinking has been to have a property on the column definition where I could put the 'html code' that I want 'pasted' at the top of the text.

Also I have several thousand books with comments I've manually branded with the desired headings, so I would appreciate that any changes in this regard retained the status quo for a while at least.

I've not ran up against the OPDS server problem because I don't use one.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 11-02-2013 at 06:43 PM. Reason: typo
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2013, 08:30 PM   #3
At_Libitum
Addict
At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KyBook
Ai, I admit not having though others might have done the same much more extensively already. That puts a damper on things.

You are right, as long as you only look at it in Calibre then it is no big deal. it's only on the content server and the opds feed that it shows the double header(s).

The alternative would be to have it suppressed on the content server and opds output as well...but that will likely upset those not using custom headers. Guess there's no solution then.
At_Libitum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:56 AM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by At_Libitum View Post
Ai, I admit not having though others might have done the same much more extensively already. That puts a damper on things.

You are right, as long as you only look at it in Calibre then it is no big deal. it's only on the content server and the opds feed that it shows the double header(s).

The alternative would be to have it suppressed on the content server and opds output as well...but that will likely upset those not using custom headers. Guess there's no solution then.
Sure there's a solution - a checkbox in the custom comments column definition that when checked would cause the Column Heading to be shown in Book Details, Book Information and Book Jackets, if unchecked then the current behaviour remains as is. I could live with that.

Slightly off topic : I often wish I could have a full Column Heading shown in Book Details, Jackets etc and an abbreviated Column Heading in the spreadsheet. Not just for comments like columns - any column.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 11-03-2013 at 01:03 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote