Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: What tale retold shall we read in April?
The Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey 7 58.33%
The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents by Terry Pratchett 6 50.00%
The Woman Warrior by Maxine Hong Kingston 5 41.67%
Death Comes for the Archbishop by Willa Cather 6 50.00%
House of Names by Colm Tóibín 6 50.00%
All The President’s Men by Carl Bernstein & Bob Woodward 3 25.00%
The Wild Girl by Kate Forsyth 3 25.00%
The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie 4 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-11-2019, 12:57 AM   #16
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I actually prefer Audible when I can get it. Overdrive books are a nuisance to listen to on my iPhone, and don't sync with my Delphin device. Audible books, however, have an excellent app on both, and sync just fine. And I didn't even look for the eBook on Overdrive, since it's PD here.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 01:28 AM   #17
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I am doing the audiobook since it’s a re-read and last time I did the ebook. Thanks for the tip about Overdrive. While I am waiting for my library hold, I am reading The Princes in the Tower by Alison Weir. I’ve been wanting to read this book for a while. I think it will be a nice supplement to The Daughter of Time. If Richard III were to be put on trial, one of these books is the defense and the other is the prosecution. Reading both books together gives multiple perspectives to the retelling of the historical events.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2019, 09:41 AM   #18
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
I have been wanting to read this book, and will read it in time for the discussion. I like the combination of mystery and history.

Also a very interesting perspective Bookworm_Girl that you have read the Alison Weir book to compare it with. Now I want to read that one too.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 11:26 PM   #19
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wearever View Post
I have been wanting to read this book, and will read it in time for the discussion. I like the combination of mystery and history.

Also a very interesting perspective Bookworm_Girl that you have read the Alison Weir book to compare it with. Now I want to read that one too.
I’m really enjoying the Weir book and learning lots about history. I’m glad I decided to read it as a pairing.
Old 03-28-2019, 12:48 AM   #20
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I’m really enjoying the Weir book and learning lots about history. I’m glad I decided to read it as a pairing.
I see that Josephine Wilkinson has brought out a book by the same name (The Princes in the Tower), claiming that it "returns to the original sources, subjecting them to critical examination and presenting a ground-breaking new theory about what really happened and why."

Which, since it is not claiming new evidence, must surely mean: "yet another guess at whodunnit on the safe assumption that no one can ever prove me wrong."

Has it struck anyone else how strange it is that we are studying unsolvable mysteries in two months running? My cup runneth over.

ETA: And note that the Literary club have just done Picnic at Hanging Rock. This did eventually get a conclusion (or sorts), but for many years it remained as much a mystery as Drood.

Last edited by gmw; 03-28-2019 at 12:57 AM.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2019, 09:48 AM   #21
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Good to know. I will read it after this one. I did read " Fate of the Princes " by Paul Doherty. It left me with more questions than answers. I also don't know very much about this time period. A very interesting one indeed.
Old 03-28-2019, 10:07 AM   #22
Wearever
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I see that Josephine Wilkinson has brought out a book by the same name (The Princes in the Tower), claiming that it "returns to the original sources, subjecting them to critical examination and presenting a ground-breaking new theory about what really happened and why."

Which, since it is not claiming new evidence, must surely mean: "yet another guess at whodunnit on the safe assumption that no one can ever prove me wrong."

Has it struck anyone else how strange it is that we are studying unsolvable mysteries in two months running? My cup runneth over.

ETA: And note that the Literary club have just done Picnic at Hanging Rock. This did eventually get a conclusion (or sorts), but for many years it remained as much a mystery as Drood.
That is interesting about somewhat of a conclusion with " Picnic at Hanging Rock".

Although with a Scotland Yard Detective trying to solve a mystery well I'll expect some proof. If not a very good summary at least.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:40 PM   #23
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I see that Josephine Wilkinson has brought out a book by the same name (The Princes in the Tower), claiming that it "returns to the original sources, subjecting them to critical examination and presenting a ground-breaking new theory about what really happened and why." [...]
I see that Kobo Australia currently have a special on that includes Philippa Gregory's version of this story, starting with The White Queen. I haven't read those books, but according to Wikipedia she follows what they called the "Beaumont" Beaufort theory rather than the Richard theory.

Late Correction: Not sure where I got Beaumont from, it should have been Beaufort.

Last edited by gmw; 04-07-2019 at 10:27 PM.
Old 03-29-2019, 09:25 AM   #24
Wearever
Wizard

Quote:
I see that Kobo Australia currently have a special on that includes Philippa Gregory's version of this story, starting with The White Queen. I haven't read those books, but according to Wikipedia she follows what they called the "Beaumont" theory rather than the Richard theory.
Thanks for the link gmw ! I haven't read" The White Queen " it looks like another good book to read about this period. i haven't heard of the Beamont Theory, very interesting. I just found out there are 2 camps " Revisionists and Traditionalists " So I'll need to catch up.
Old 03-29-2019, 10:37 AM   #25
gmw
cacoethes scribendi

Quote:
Thanks for the link gmw ! I haven't read" The White Queen " it looks like another good book to read about this period. i haven't heard of the Beamont Theory, very interesting. I just found out there are 2 camps " Revisionists and Traditionalists " So I'll need to catch up.
There seems no shortage of books about the period - nothing like a bit of mystery, not to mention possible violence and court intrigue, to liven up history. I picked up The White Queen while it was on special, as seems like a good chance to find out what I think of Philippa Gregory's writing.

Warning/FYI: The book sequence is a bit odd. As regards this part of history, Gregory published The White Queen first, but the author suggests people may want to read The Lady of the Rivers first (it was published 2 years after), as it tells the story of Elizabeth Woodville's mother. (Elizabeth Woodville being the White Queen, in case that isn't obvious.) But I've opted to go publication order and start with The White Queen.
Old 03-29-2019, 01:59 PM   #26
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Unfortunately, I missed any specials on The White Queen, and the wait at the BC Library is 18 weeks.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:39 AM   #27
Wearever
Wizard

I missed the sale in the US for the White Queen also. I do have some digital credits saved so I'll probably buy it that way. I think the popularity of the Starz channel showing the series has boosted sales for the book\audio also. That might explain the library waitlist. I would also like to watch the series, but I don't have the Starz channel. I usually like to read the books first then watch the series. So I have time.
Old 04-07-2019, 10:32 PM   #28
gmw
cacoethes scribendi

Quote:
There's a good reason you won't have heard of "Beaumont", it was supposed to be "Beaufort" - I have no idea how it came go get turned around in my head.
Old 04-08-2019, 01:24 AM   #29
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

The White Queen sounds interesting. Thanks for the recommendation. I had forgotten that I also read A Secret Alchemy by Emma Darwin many years ago. This book reimagines the story from the Woodville family’s perspective. I remember nothing about it, but Goodreads tells me that I gave it 2 stars. I have no idea why I rated it that low, but it may appeal to some people.

Quote:
The cruel fate of the Princes in the Tower is one of the most fascinating—and most troubling—of all England's historical murder mysteries. But what was the truth behind the deaths of the young Edward V and his brother, Dickon, taken from their mother, Elizabeth Woodville, King Edward IV's beautiful widow, and their guardian, Anthony Woodville? And what about the man who would become King Richard III?

In a brilliant feat of historical daring, the acclaimed author of The Mathematics of Love reimagines the tragedy of the youngest victims of the Wars of the Roses. Through the voices of Elizabeth, Anthony, and Una—a historian who herself knows grief, betrayal, and secret love—Emma Darwin re-creates the lethal power struggles into which the boys were born, their heart-wrenching imprisonment, and the ultimate betrayal of their innocence.
Old 04-08-2019, 03:02 AM   #30
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
It sounds to me as if "historical daring" is a polite way of saying she made it up without a shred of proof. Maybe that's what bugged you when you read it.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote