Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-07-2010, 03:06 PM   #16
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
My guess is iBooks update will be released to coincide with iOS 4's release.
I'm going for tonight.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 03:08 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
I'm going for tonight.
We shall see if you are correct.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2010, 03:08 PM   #18
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
sorry, but they said the next ibooks would be released with 4.0..
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 03:13 PM   #19
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
sorry, but they said the next ibooks would be released with 4.0..
We'll see oops
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 04:52 PM   #20
Bluebaize
Enthusiast
Bluebaize doesn't litterBluebaize doesn't litter

Device: iPad
I hope they get iBooks out quick, like now - if it's ready

I also hope that PDf support has a zoom function and one that stays when you turn a page too.
Bluebaize is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2010, 05:08 PM   #21
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
<sigh> I don't have budget for the iPhone 4 -- and I didn't think I'd want one -- but I DO want one. More than 300dpi screen! 300dpi is what the average human eye can resolve. No more jaggies!

Have to remind myself that I read on my iPad these days anyway.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:44 PM   #22
Rique
Zealot
Rique began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (silver), IPad 3G 64GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Hard to buy anything with their atrocious navigation too...the store seriously needs an overhaul.
A big +1 on that comment - I'm still buying books from Sony or Amazon - (and at least I can free Sony titles from DRM lock-up - haven't figured out how to do that with Amazon titles).

Apple needs selection, competitive pricing, improved navigation... and did I mention selection?

App store is not much better - a pretty bad UI, IMHO.

-- Riq
Rique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:37 PM   #23
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

i have a feeling the new version of ibooks needs functionality only found in ios 4.0. which could mean a delay getting it to the ipad which isn't supposed to get ios 4.0 until this fall. note jobs only discussed it on the iphone today and made no mention of it being available for the ipad.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:37 PM   #24
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
leebase, the human eye can resolve much finer than 300 dpi --- 400 dpi is where fonts start to look nice on a laserprinter and imagesetters are easily differentiated by their output at 1,270 ppi vice 2,540 ppi (and there are models which go higher) --- see the book _Counterpunch: Making Type in the 16th Century, Designing Typefaces Now_ by Fred Smeijers for electron micrographs and a discussion of this.

Granted, the iPhone screen is 326 _pixels_ per inch, so one gets anti-aliasing, yielding a higher effective dpi, but screens need to get better yet.

Last edited by WillAdams; 06-08-2010 at 07:30 AM. Reason: corrected ppi for iPhone screen
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:45 PM   #25
scottjl
Reader of Books

Quote:
Jobs said "there's a magic number around 300dpi, if you hold something about 10-12 inches away from your eye, it's the limit of the human retina to distinguish pixels."
from apple's web site
Quote:
To achieve this, Apple engineers developed pixels so small — a mere 78 micrometers across — that the human eye can’t distinguish individual pixels.
ymmv.. or is that yemv?
Old 06-07-2010, 10:10 PM   #26
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
The question is are PPI(LCD) really the same as DPI (print).
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:42 PM   #27
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
There are devices that print smaller than 300 dpi, but that's been the gold standard for "photo quality" forever

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:59 PM   #28
scottjl
Reader of Books

true, but are all those extra dots actually distinguishable by the human eye? what jobs is basically saying is that a 1' distance (where you'd likely hold the phone) the new screen has the finest resolution the human eye (and I'm guessing he means average person) can distinguish. maybe we need an opthamologist to chime in here.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:05 PM   #29
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Interesting, the PDFs are listed in a separate bookshelf.
Wow, now it can acquire and view PDF files. This is cutting edge technology ...
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:07 PM   #30
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
Wow, now it can read and view PDF files. This is cutting edge technology ...
It's a useful feature for me, although Stanza has it already for the iPad. No one is claiming its cutting edge technology, though. Just another nice feature to have in iBooks, and on the iPad.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote