Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-17-2021, 05:50 AM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
One other option to consider is to install KOReader on the Libra. As far as I know this is not possible on recent/current Kindles, but KOReader is VERY simple to install on the Libra and adds HUGELY to the options available, likely addressing the issues some have mentioned as being minus marks for the Libra.
KOReader on an Oasis 3 is still a work in progress. KOReader on a Libra works much better then on an Oasis 3.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 05:50 AM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
For me I'd go Oasis because I'm thoroughly embedded in the Amazon ecosystem through a Kindle Unlimited subscription.

Though I have an Oasis 2 and my preference probably would be 10th gen basic plus the cost difference > PW4 plus the cost difference > Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michal Jancik View Post
Of course, if you buy books on Amazon, it's not worth buying KOBO or vice versa.
You don't need a Kindle for Kindle Unlimited. You just need a working DeDRM plugin for Calibre.

You can buy Kindle eBooks and ePub eBooks. The DeDRM plugin is your friend for removing DRM and allowing Calibre to convert. So you can go Kindle > Kobo and ePub > Kindle if you want.

Last edited by JSWolf; 04-17-2021 at 05:56 AM.
Advert
Old 04-17-2021, 08:38 AM   #33
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO H2O,Inkpad 4,ONYX Leaf 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You don't need a Kindle for Kindle Unlimited. You just need a working DeDRM plugin for Calibre.

You can buy Kindle eBooks and ePub eBooks. The DeDRM plugin is your friend for removing DRM and allowing Calibre to convert. So you can go Kindle > Kobo and ePub > Kindle if you want.
But when I'm on the go, I can't download a book from the Amazon store to KOBO.
Which, in my opinion, is one of the main advantages of the reader that I can buy or borrow a book from the store anywhere I can connect to the Internet

So I am of the opinion that YES, it is possible to convert a book to ePUb or kePUB, but only under certain conditions. For example, this does not apply on the trip. But otherwise, of course, you're right.

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 04-17-2021 at 08:43 AM.
Michal Jancik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 11:16 AM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michal Jancik View Post
But when I'm on the go, I can't download a book from the Amazon store to KOBO.
Which, in my opinion, is one of the main advantages of the reader that I can buy or borrow a book from the store anywhere I can connect to the Internet

So I am of the opinion that YES, it is possible to convert a book to ePUb or kePUB, but only under certain conditions. For example, this does not apply on the trip. But otherwise, of course, you're right.
If you are going on vacation, you sort out your eBooks ahead of time and if there are any eBooks you want to buy while on vacation, you buy from Kobo. However, when I go on vacation, I do bring a computer with me. So I don't have the problem you outlined. My Surface Pro 2 is easily portable enough to go with me.
Old 04-17-2021, 12:19 PM   #35
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
That behavior deprives authors of income.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2021, 12:58 PM   #36
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
That behavior deprives authors of income.
Not if you continue to buy the books instead of stealing them. Removing DRM solely for the purpose of converting the format is not stealing.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 01:19 PM   #37
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Not if you continue to buy the books instead of stealing them. Removing DRM solely for the purpose of converting the format is not stealing.
Kindle Unlimited is a flat monthly fee subscription service. Amazon takes a cut of the fees then disburses the rest to authors based on pages read, which can not be monitored on non-amazon devices/apps.

Who said anything about stealing?
Old 04-17-2021, 04:18 PM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Kindle Unlimited is a flat monthly fee subscription service. Amazon takes a cut of the fees then disburses the rest to authors based on pages read, which can not be monitored on non-amazon devices/apps.

Who said anything about stealing?
With Kindle Unlimited, if I keep WiFi off on my Kindle, will the Kindle Unlimited data be sent to Amazon when WiFi is turned on even if it's say a year later?
Old 04-17-2021, 05:07 PM   #39
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
With Kindle Unlimited, if I keep WiFi off on my Kindle, will the Kindle Unlimited data be sent to Amazon when WiFi is turned on even if it's say a year later?
I don't know. I have never subscribed to KU for several different reasons.

My best guess is that wifi could be off for quite some time and the data would still get sent to amazon once wifi is on.
Old 04-17-2021, 05:52 PM   #40
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

It may be less accurate, but it would probably average out?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 05:43 AM   #41
Erwitt
Erwitt began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hello!

I already have both devices at home and I'm playing around with them.

These are some of my first impressions:
  • I may have won the lottery, because the lighting in my Libra is just fine (this was my biggest concern). Sure, the screen is better in the Oasis, but the difference is not as big as I expected. I hardly see any color or brightness difference across the screen, and if at all in the pictures I have taken.
  • The Oasis seems more confortable to hold for me beacuse the bezel on the back. The Libra, being flat, slips out of my hands when taking it a bit vertical.
  • The Libra has already frozen once in the short time I have used it.
  • I have tried to convert a book from the Kindle to the Libra and it has been a pain. First, I had a hard time removing the DRM. I downloaded the DeDRM plugin but it didn't work, and I had to do a lot of research until I found the solution. Then, I found that the resulting Epub didn't support the change of line spacing, so I had to convert it to Kepub. But the Kobo Touch Extended didn't work either and I had to download another plugin, the Kepub Outpub.

I will continue with my tests and see how they go.
Erwitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 04:34 PM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwitt View Post
The Oasis seems more confortable to hold for me beacuse the bezel on the back. The Libra, being flat, slips out of my hands when taking it a bit vertical.
Use a cover and both will be more comfortable to hold and there will be no real difference.
Old 04-20-2021, 10:10 AM   #43
Erwitt
Erwitt began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Use a cover and both will be more comfortable to hold and there will be no real difference.
Yes, that's right!
Erwitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 01:22 PM   #44
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Isn't this an oxymoron?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 12:51 PM   #45
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwitt View Post
  • I have tried to convert a book from the Kindle to the Libra and it has been a pain. First, I had a hard time removing the DRM. I downloaded the DeDRM plugin but it didn't work, and I had to do a lot of research until I found the solution. Then, I found that the resulting Epub didn't support the change of line spacing, so I had to convert it to Kepub. But the Kobo Touch Extended didn't work either and I had to download another plugin, the Kepub Outpub.
For DeDRM, we can't help too much here. But Apprentice Alf's blog should be able to answer questions for you.

For converting to Kepub, did you try and convert in Calibre?

With koboTouchExtended, you don't need to convert the ePub at all. Just tell Calibre to send the ePub to your Kobo and the conversion happens automatically in the background while it is sending. Calibre will only show ePub in your library. But on the Kobo it will be Kepub.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle oasis 3, kobo libra h2o